UEFA Euro 2020: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 14, 2021.

1. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    It doesn't matter how many tornaments you've experienced, there's always a bit of a buzz ahead of a new one starting.
    Even more so when England have a half decent team.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What was it the Duke of Wellington said about the English troops before the battle of Waterloo?

'I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me.'

:D

Gaz811, W.A.S.P., Marcho Gamgee and 2 others repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I think quarters as well. We only have one fit, dedicated CB in Stones, a player who, himself, has a brain-fart in him. If we get to the quarters I'll be satisfied... not happy you understand, satisfied.

But, y'know. We'll see :)

4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am worried we see the 343

………:Kane

Rashford……..Sterling

……mount….rice

chillwell.mings..coady..stones.trippier

…………….Pickford

all his favourites

if he does this we are screwed

5. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, I think he will start Foden, no way can he drop him for an out of form rashford or sterling. It's probably a pick between who of sterling or rashford plays ahead of grealish as like you say I think he'll want one pacy player to run behind.

My head says R16, I think we'll lose to whoever we play if we win the group as we'll set up too cautiously and invite pressure.

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Is Keith Allen legally obligated to appear in a percentage of England songs?

7. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    1403285567626952708 is not a valid tweet id

8. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    There is, but he's 17...

(and to be fair, Mount's a good ball-carrier, albeit not as powerful as Barkley)

roverman repped this.
  9. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    He may not have helped himself, but he was also extremely unlucky. If we're going to blame him for not being a perfectly robotic professional in his early 20s then we should all probably stop saying such lovely things about Grealish...

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    If we can get past the second round. Anything is possible. Im amazed at the negativity of England fans. Talksport has a host of them. We have the strongest squad since the 90s. If we can't achieve something now we never will. I look at our squad and aside from France, I can't see a stronger one. Depth at fullback huge depth going forward . Decent centrebacks. Good talented midfielders, I guess I'm so hyped up, the negativity really puts a downer on everything.

TomCUFC7 repped this.
  11. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Even Delph could do it to an extent

12. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think some fans are too negative, but you are arguably too positive Rover. I guess we're like Spain in the 90s and early 00s. Until we beat a top team in a knockout and reach a final, we will always be seen as underachievers.

Gaz811, RobTheFool, W.A.S.P. and 3 others repped this.
  13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I think that's right. It's not that we can't win games... it's that we've all been in these situations before and we've stumbled and often it's been against sides we should have been beating.

There's also the point that, to actually win a major tournament, you have to ride your luck to an extent and we haven't had a great deal of that over the years. The hand of god and Lamps goal that wasn't a goal are not exactly solitary events, are they.

roverman repped this.
  14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  15. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Bit contradictory, isn't it? He hasn't confirmed that they're all available if he's saying that Maguire's a long shot.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  16. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just assume it's a psychological thing. England in knockouts are quite consistent, we often start well and take the lead. We then seem to freeze and become more negative as the game goes on.

Really hope this team can break the habit as they've already achieved two milestones i. e. Winning a shootout and winning a KO game after not doing so since 2006.

roverman repped this.
  17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think, having had a decent run at the last major tournament, is an advantage. It should give a sense of belief with some of the guys which can't be dismissed.

It's more a question of having some luck and getting the rub of the green with the officiating. In that regard, it's not like we've made ourselves very popular as a country over the past few years and although that shouldn't be an issue these people are only human, after all.

Anyway, enough woffling... on with the games :)

roverman repped this.
  19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Interesting to read Ledley King talk about coming back from injuries and whether Maguire will be OK if selected -

20. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    If we can beat every team we face then we might just be able to do something.

21. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's a bold statement.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  22. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I don't understand this talk of playing 3 at the back, when we have persisted with a 4 now for so long - it's such a big change and would be madness to do so.

THink it will be something like:
    ------------------------------Pickford----------------------------
    Walker-------Stones-----------Mings---------Chilwell
    -------------------Rice-------------Bellingham-------------
    -----------------------------Mount-------------------------------
    Foden---------------------------------------------Sterling
    ------------------------------Kane-------------------------------

Obvious question marks over Mings, but think he is prob our best bet there.

Bellingham or Phillips alongside Rice, I'd give nod to Jude but guess Phillips more likely

And think as other posters have said it's Foden/Grealish on one side and Sterling/Sancho on the other. Gives us a nice balance between players coming into get involved and someone to egt behind.

With the seasonwe have just had, the subs are going to be so important in this tournament - the likes of (if my team is right) Sancho and Grealish, and Rashford, plus full backs like Shaw and Trippier or James are going to have such a massive role to play. Each game is 16 vs 16 not 11 vs 11 and sure Southgate will ensure those not starting have this message

TomCUFC7 repped this.
  23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Great call on talksport earlier, which is rare, a Leicester fan who highlighted other major nations defensive deficiencies. Instead of saying we have 2 champions league finalist rightbacks. 2 European finalist leftbacks a champions league finalist defender and maguire would have been a europa league finalist defender (if he plays) Belgium have 2 centrebacks who are 2 years past there best. Their backups finished 14th and 16th in their respective leagues. Thats just one example. We should be looking positively at how well our defenders have done this season

Gaz811 and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With that sort of analysis he should be a British footballing journalist :D

25. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    There are few better placed to speak on this from experience.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.