UEFA Euro 2020: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 14, 2021.

1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  2. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I can only assume that they took him because the larger squad meant he was basically just a freebie, same with Henderson. If he recovers then great, but if he doesn't he's not really taking anyone's place. The management should be operating under the assumption that he won't play a part in the tournament, and build the team accordingly.

TomCUFC7 and roverman repped this.
  3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #2053 W.A.S.P., Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    I listened to the Guardian football podcast and everybody on the panel were certain that Southgate will install a back 3 against Croatia despite nobody reporting about about Gareth switching it up. Frankly, they all were very cautious and frightened of Croatia with the defensive options we have and even preferred to play Rashford over Grealish in order "to stretch the field." I think they also pretty much agreed we should have Rice and Phillips or Henderson as DMs with no Mount. Basically just batten down the hatches until the storm passes through. Absolute jokers! Btw, I don't think the players want to go back to a back three or the very least 3-4-3. Look where that got us in the Nations League.

Might as well do the same against Scotland and the Czech Republic because you have to respect your opponents, eh?

How about play to our bloody strengths, play our type of game and win! If not then fine. Win the next two matches and get second place, which is probably our best scenario to advance the furthest (a quarterfinal against Spain is looking more enticing by the day isn't it?). Don't play for a fecking draw and invite pressure against Croatia. We literally beat them with a 4-3-3 at the very stadium we'll play them in 2 1/2 years ago. Who was in our midfield? Barkley, Delph, and Dier who are nowhere near the squad anymore. Imagine what a midfield of Mount, Bellingham/Henderson, and Rice will do.

4. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Here's my dream XI with who we have available (4-3-3).

GK: Pickford
    LB: Chilwell
    CB: Stones
    CB: White
    RB: James
    CDM: Rice
    LCM: Mount
    RCM: Foden
    LW: Grealish
    ST: Kane
    RW: Sterling

Probably unrealistic against Croatia, but I don't see why not against the rest in our group. That would absolutely terrify the Czechs and Scotland. I can live with Mings starting, but also wouldn't mind the possibility of Shaw at LCB. Mount and Foden will be our free kick takers.

5. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    If we go with a back 3 the. Shaw- Stones-White is pretty decent although Walker might be trusted over White.

6. Mourinho's just picked his team on Talksport. He says he'd go:

Henderson
    Walker-Stones-Mings-Chilwell
    Rice-Phillips
    Foden-Mount-Grealish
    Kane

He was comically dismissive of Luke Shaw and compared Grealish to Luis Figo.

Also loved Bellingham

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  8. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    So even Mourinho wouldn’t be afraid to pou both Foden and Grealish. Do it Gareth

9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Won't happen. Southgate will stick with tried and trusted. Sterling and rashford. Which isn't bad but he will miss a trick if he goes with the old heads

10. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Doubt he will go with both Rashford and sterling. One is needed if I’m honest, to run in behind, but 2 would be surprising as both are out of form

ChristianSur repped this.
  11. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Barkley worked for England as he was able to run with the ball and bring it up the pitch. It relieved some pressure. Is there any one of our CM who can do the same?

sharpovic repped this.
  12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Going to be hot for our game -

13. TomCUFC7

TomCUFC7 Member

Colchester
    England
    May 18, 2021
    I would love to see a front 3 of Kane, Grealish and Foden but they all work best with pacey runners to play off / thread balls through to so I still think it's 1 of Grealish/Foden and then 1 of Sterling/Sancho/Rashford. Maybe Foden or Grealish can play deeper but that's not their best position at all.

You could also argue that with Mount deeper you can afford Grealish, Foden and one of the pacey ones but we know Southgate won't do this, especially against Croatia, and I'm not sure he should. Mount probably could do a job deeper but it's not really his game, he wants to break the lines which would leave Rice seriously exposed.

14. TomCUFC7

TomCUFC7 Member

Colchester
    England
    May 18, 2021
    It will be interesting to see how this factors in, at least with 5 subs we can keep it fresh if we play with a high tempo which you feel will be important against a technically sound but not particularly quick Croatia side.

I'm at the game Sunday and I'm absolutely buzzing now with the weather, odds on a drab 0-0?

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  15. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    In that formation and against Croatia I wouldn’t go with that tbh, think we need more pace out wide to hit on the counter because it will be needed against Croatia in my opinion so I would take out Phillips and play Mount alongside him, move Grealish to number 10 and bring in either Sterling, Sancho or Rashford out wide. Fwiw, Sancho is great when you need to counter, seen him punish many teams playing that way for Dortmund when they needed to. I would also still keep Pickford in goal.

17. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Yep ... that’s how I see it .

Gaz811 repped this.
  18. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Surprisingly adventurous !!?

19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Predictions?

I can convince myself from going out in the group stage to winning it. With everything in between.

Heart - Winning
    Head - Extra time lost in 2nd round

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  20. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    My guess at Southgates team for Sunday.

-------------------Pickford

Walker---Stones---White/Mings----Shaw

-------------Phillps---------------Rice

-------------------------Mount

Stirling--------------Kane-----------Rasford

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The Neville brothers bit is the best.

Gaz811 repped this.
  22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I keep thinking we got away with getting a lot wrong tactically in the WC. That might come back to bite us in this tournament.

The route to the final is daunting but we have gone advantage. Quarters is what my head is telling me.

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    That is outstanding.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think his problem was he wasn't exactly what you'd call a 'fitness fanatic' was he.

25. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't see anyway that Southgate doesn't start Foden.