UEFA Euro 2020: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 14, 2021.

1. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Damn... I just assumed all the players would have been vaccinated. Not exactly great as it could easily spread in a camp.

2. arkantiger

arkantiger Member

Chelsea
    Lebanon
    Jun 8, 2021
    The British/Irish Lions rugby team was vacinated weeks ago. Pretty staggering incompetence by the FA if they couldn't lobby/organise for players and staff to be vacinated, its not like they'd be jumping the queue as all vulnerable have been vacinated for ages. Imagine losing Harry Kane because he brushed past a steward in a corridor.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
  4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

roverman repped this.
  5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Aren’t you guys in the UK vaccinating teenagers now? Like previous reply’s, seems strange that the players couldn’t have been vaccinated under the current circumstances

6. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    Currently over 25s can book appointments.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  7. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Not sure why that's much of a shock. He's always had more ability with his feet than most keepers, and keepers more than anyone carry out repeat techniques for goal kicks/free kicks.

Hopfully Henderson has been demoted after the last match.

8. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also picture in the story is Pickford scoring a penalty in our last shoot-out.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Demoted, he should just be subbed off in the last minute of extra time just so he CAN’T take a penalty.

ESBFC123 and lanman repped this.
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Ok, well considering it’s the age range is now so low, you really would have thought someone at the FA might have thought it was a good idea to try and arrange for all the players vaccinated as I don’t think people in their 20’s will be that upset about it about England players getting the jab maybe a few weeks ahead of them. At least all the staff will presumably have been vaccinated since they are all probably over 30.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  11. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Careful, that's probably too complex for a Mail journalist.

ESBFC123 repped this.
  12. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
  13. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  14. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I know it won't happen but there's an argument in subbing Dean Henderson in just to play in a penalty shootout. Pickford's save percentage from penalties is 24% which is about average. Henderson's is 42% which is pretty exceptional.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fair enough :)

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Although I asked the question about changing systems to have Stones with at least one other guy who's not a CB, (because James has been used there recently by CFC), I don't think it's a particularly good idea. In general a guy who's been playing a position for an extended period will always be better than someone pressed into service.

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Apart from anything there are several of the team that ARE over 25.

The other thing is I remember Havertz playing rather poorly when he first came to CFC and one of the reasons given was that he'd had covid and it apparently knocked him around quite a bit. If that happens to, say, Mount, Kane, Stones, Grealish and Foden we're going to be looking a bit sick.

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Sure, but it wouldn't be very sensible to get it right now, knowing that a lot of younger people in particular have had flu-like reactions to the vaccine. I'm a good bit older than the players and I was shaking like a leaf for a couple of days. Other people I know have been laid low for a week or more.

19. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Yes, there was a fair bit of bemusement about Solskjaer not bringing him on in he Europa League final, as De Gea has an appalling record.
    Wouldn't even need to sub him on for Pickford, if he's high up the takers list. Could bring him on for an outfielder for 30 seconds and leave one of them up front.
    Maybe not go full Stuart Pearce/David James though.

20. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Could you? Or are there any rules about the designated keeper having to stay in goal for a penalty shoot-out? Genuine question - I don't know.

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I feel like you might have to bring Henderson on for an outfielder and then swap him with Pickford so that Pickford was playing outfield. Otherwise, Henderson presumably wouldn't be allowed to handle the ball during the shoot-out? God knows.

22. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    The laws allow you to swap your designated keeper with an outfield player at any point during a stopage in play during the game as long as you inform the referee. I would guess that you would need to use the designated keeper when the full time whistle goes for the shoot out. The laws do state you can replace an injured goalkeeper with an outfield player during the shoot out, but there's nothing about voluntarily swapping. I can't imagine the scenario has ever come up much.

23. ESBFC123

ESBFC123 Member

Barnsley FC
    England
    Jan 19, 2019
    Tbf to the Guardian, a lot of the articles that are portrayed as anti-white / racist etc. are merely pointing out past imperial contexts and their preset day impacts (white imperial powers - non-white colonised areas) etc.
    Stuff along those lines. Then yeah here and there you encounter just flat out batshit crazy or extremely misguided articles verging on the point of anti-white racism or being just flat-out anti-white.
    The Daily Fail on the other hand, often doesn't even attempt to hide its genuine outbursts of racism or xenophobia.

Both have exhibited racism yes. In both cases it is wrong. But the degree is so much higher in the Daily Fail than in the Guardian. And we know the intentions of the Guardian are overwhelmingly better than that of the Daily Fail.

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Gaz811 and roverman repped this.
  25. ESBFC123

ESBFC123 Member

Barnsley FC
    England
    Jan 19, 2019
    No it fcuking isn't. Lmfao.

You would seriously ban anyone attending the games purely for the act of booing the players ?