UEFA Euro 2020: England Tournament Thread [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 14, 2021.

1. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Jonathan Northcroft wrote an article along these lines in the Times yesterday.

roverman repped this.
  2. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    As much as there is a dearth of the type of player you're talking about, I still think that if Spain or Germany had identical squads to ours then the midfield would look very different. A Rice/Phillips double pivot is not a case of necessity. I think most countries would have one on their own or one next to Bellingham, at most. And Foden isn't at his best at an #8, but he's still probably going to give you more on the ball there than anyone else in the squad, so maybe you have to make that happen too.

If Pedri was English, would he start? Would the manager even have him in the squad? It's strange, in hindsight, that Southgate presumably intended to play with a #10 from the outset, yet never really had a close look at the most natural #10 that we have in James Maddison. I honestly think it's because he's worried about him getting knocked off the ball and not much else.

roverman repped this.
  3. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    Maddison wins almost as many free kicks as Grealish

4. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Not according to the stats I saw last week .. nowhere near ..

Guess people can make stats say what they want though

5. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I still remember how fantastic was to see the u20 world cup winner team dominating midfield as they did. That team was far from perfect, and Simpson was not a great tactician, but that Cook, Onomah pivot played just the way we would expect from England.
    It's a pity both playing in the Championship now, which is especially frustrating in the case of Onomah, who looked like the whole package. He is still young (2 years younger than Phillips), but he would need his own Bielsa now.

6. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    Grealish is Villa's key player and their main option, Maddison is just one option for Leicester but when he gets the ball he wins free kicks at the same rate

7. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    So not nearly as ‘many’ then ...

:)

Just messing’

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    how has cook played this year just gone?

Gomez in Portugal could be the guy for us if a side takes a chance

9. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I only know he head another ACL injury in March, so he will miss the first few months of the next season

10. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    roverman and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Another one? Jeez, that’s rotten luck as I’m sure he did his ACL a few years ago also.

12. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Yes. Unfortunately he looks like another one whose improvement were held back by serious injuries.

13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
  14. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Pedri would get 10/15 mn on the wing or behind the striker

15. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Maddison is nowhere near as good on the ball, doesn't have the legs to carry the ball like Grealish.