PBP: UEFA Euro 2016 General Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ImaPuppy, Jun 9, 2016.

1. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    My facts are straight. What did I post that is not fact?

2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first note:

Better finishing is required when playing over achieving minnows that have perfected parking the bus.

3. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So the US is smaller than a minnow. Got it!

4. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Dude, now you're just trolling.

5. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How would you rate your experience of getting trolled on a scale of 1 to 5? 5 being "I'm mad bro" and 1 being "meh".

I appreciate your feedback.

6. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Im being serious. If the US played against Argentina like that they would have never lost 4-0. They probably would have won it. Not trying to troll with that statement.

7. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    2. I have dealt with much worse.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  8. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    C'mon dude.

The action at Stubhub Center right now isn't bad.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  9. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    In that case send your comment to the USSF. They'll probably hire you on the spot. You sound like a very smart guy.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  10. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Wow. I must have struck a nerve with you. Its just a forum. I guess you guys don't like talking soccer tactics.

11. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I guess we should all be proud that the US lost at home 4-0 in a competitive match.

12. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're such an easy mark. Did I get you so mad that this is how to you celebrate Portugal's first trophy?

Have some self respect. Your team won a trophy no matter how poor they're to watch for neutrals.

13. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    So Portugal wins the Euro with a record of 3 wins and 4 ties against the (FIFA Jun2 rankings) #10, 17, 20, 26, 27, 27, and 34th placed teams in the world. The average WC group is more difficult than that. Talk about hitting the lottery and having the sea part before you. Portugal should send a thank you card to Iceland for their last minute winning goal against Austria that put Portugal on the side of the draw without any team that had ever won a tournament.

That said, for all their great fortune, Portugal did win fair and square.

For comparison in WC 2014 Costa Rica also went undefeated with 2 wins and 3 draws against (at the time) #7, 9, 10, 12, and 15.

Greece in their Euro win won 4 out of their 6 games and defeated the host twice.

Elo currently has Argentina and Chile as 1 and 2. I am curious to see how the next FIFA rankings shake out. I wonder if Chile will pass Germany and/or Belgium. I suspect they will pass Colombia.

kennytt repped this.
  14. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
  15. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    I'll never understand why people can't just celebrate their win with friends and families instead of spending time on the Internet attacking other posters (and their teams on their board) when it's time for celebration. Strange priority.

kennytt repped this.
  16. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If you read my previous post you would know that I root for the USMNT as well. I guess I am not allowed to be critical of their play in Copa America then. Settle down Francis.

I guess you guys like to have a mediocre team and are happy with that. Well I am not. I would love to see the US win a major tournament. This country needs it badly if they want to have more followers of the game. We need our kids/parents to start taking soccer seriously but I guess we are happy just to let them play till they are in high school.

Sounds awesome.

17. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    The the US, who did not register a single shot the entire game, would have managed to win by playing more defensively. I can see the score being closer, but where would the goal come from. Argentina basically played a perfect tactical game in that one. Argentina has allowed only 3 goals in their last 10+ knock out games ('+' being several overtimes) and two of those were in blowouts (4-1 Venezuela and 6-1 Paraguay)

18. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They could have scored on a counter or set piece. Who knows? I think they should have played much better defensively either way.

19. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch the game, but I hear Greece beat France again.

vexco repped this.
  20. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Actually it kind of is. I'd probably hate soccer if it was as popular in the U.S. as the NFL is.

21. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Smh.

22. a4anthony

a4anthony Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Greer
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a summer my number one team got 4th place and my number two team won the Euros. I love everyone!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

kennytt repped this.
  23. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I thought you were Mexican.

24. a4anthony

a4anthony Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Greer
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dad's Mexican mom's Portuguese. So I root for the US, Portugal and Mexico. Mexico is third because it's direct competition to the US.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

25. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, you're right. I'm not sure why everyone's so far up Portugal's ass. The US plays ugly and can't defend for sh!t. Tactics have made the difference in a lot of dark horse successes and cinderella runs in soccer lately. You think we'd learn something.

Congrats to Portugal and Ronaldo. CR7 may not have been on the field, but he elevated his team and they played for him. Plus, I think his departure was a bullet to the French as well. You cannot help but be touched when such a player leaves such a game. That's the beautiful, intangible magic of the game.

kennytt, NewLaw83 and BatigoL5 repped this.