UEFA Euro 2008 Group A Qualifier: Portugal x Finland[R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Joelzinho, Nov 19, 2007.

1. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    WTF are you talking about with this diamond generation crap?? THere is no generation or have you forgotten the damn Golden Generation curse.

2. bnrnortel

bnrnortel Member

Nov 18, 2004
    RTPI on AMC4 (101 W) did not go down - I taped the game and watched it later with friends and family (nobody knew the score).
    RTPI on IntelSat805 (55.5W) has been bouncy - so I am unsure of how it broadcasted yesterday.
    Seeing the posts from people in Toronto - weather could have been a big factor - since Ontario was going through a major storm. Talked to my cousin in Toronto - and she was having troubles with it. Talked to my family in Hamilton and even though they were watching it - it was very bouncy.

And the people who were receiving Dish Network - depending on how you were receiving it (if you know what I mean) - suffered through an ECM change. :mad: That being the case it has nothing to do with RTPi but with Dish Network wanting to secure their network programming because it wasn't only RTPI that was down - people waiting to see the game on Setanta Sports (5:15PM EST) were also screwed due to the ECM.:eek:
    My house was a little fuller than it should have been because some of the extra company that follow that route.:rolleyes:

If you are trying to catch RTPI on AMC4 - recommend a dish that is at least 39 inches. 33 inches and 36 inches just does not work.

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I just want to mention something that may have been overlooked by us. Quaresma and Nani were chosen over Simao in this particular game....

P.S: I actually found myself laughing at the Nani sub in, literally didn't lose anything.

4. artistwanta_b

artistwanta_b Member

Aug 16, 2004
    I would like to see Nani play a little longer maybe even from the start. My guess is he would be the player we saw in the U21 Euro.

Not very good.

He comes in a the end of games when the defense is tired and his speed alone allows him to go around players. But I have rarely seen him play a good game from the start.

He started a few games for Portugal during qualifying and if I remember correctly he played poorly except a half descent game verses Belgium.

He also played poorly in the U21 games that he played in when not called to the A team.

I would like to see him get a start in a friendly and some u21 games see if he put it together for 90 minutes.

5. artistwanta_b

artistwanta_b Member

Aug 16, 2004
    This attitude scares me...all of qualifying we have said the same thing.

Portugal will be fine.

We have blamed the pitch.

We have said Portugal always plays down to the opponent when we tied Armenia.

We have begged for Quaresma.

We have begged for Almeida to start.

We have begged for Veloso.

We have claimed we will be fine when playing at home.

The fact is we haven't BEATING a good team in over a year and tied some very bad owns.

I wish they change some things because I really think we have the talent to win this Euro.

6. d_almeida

d_almeida New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Brazil isn't a good team? Portugal usually plays big when they have to, we all remember pre euro 2004.

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Watch some Manchester United games. Nani has been outstanding most of the time when he starts.

8. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I don't think even Figo himself could of helped Portugal.

9. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Figo??[R]

I'm sick of this Figo talk.Leave the man ALONE!! We can't keep calling up his old ass, it's time to move on. I know he's still plays amazing for Inter but once he plays for club and country he will burn out no doubt. I'm more concerned with moving towards the future now, cuz we have some amazing talent (the best I have seen from Portugal ever, period.) It would have been the biggest catatsrophe if we didn't make it to the Euro, which coulda have easily happened. I admit Meira didn't play bad as DM but I still think Manelele coulda have added alot more to the game.I was hoping Scolari would have used Meira as a CB for his height...everytime the Finns floated a ball into the box I cursed as loud as a muda-sucka.

10. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    A lot of you guys forget that the Finns have good and experienced players, they're no push-over, and neither are any of the teams in this group. It's 11 vs 11 and anything can happen in any game. Let's be happy to see the NT in the Euro 08 and remember that some countries didn't make it ,and others, that did it, had to sweat a lot to get in.:)

Oh yeah, and if I was going to wish for a player to return from the past, I would choose Eusebio.

11. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Re: Eusebio[R]

LOL sadly he can STILL shoot better then ne of these hacks

12. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Re: Eusebio[R]

All you need is the resolve he showed in that game vs North Korea in '66

13. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Sadly people think they can compare Pauleta to him. "The King scored all his goals with 1/3 of the games Pauleta has had and he did it against stiffer competition ( no Luxembourgs or Liechtenstein's)

14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Actually , I have no problem with comparing them. They were/are the best strikers ever to don the shirt. Each did a great job when called upon and either could be, at their best, what the present squad needs . But I'll stick to my wish and pick Eusebio.

15. ilbambino

ilbambino Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this team wants to take it to the next level they need a central striker who is going to step up and finish consistantly. This is something they seriously lack and they have the talent in the midfield and defense to win this tournament.

16. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    His name is Makukula.

17. wtf_SCOLARI!!

wtf_SCOLARI!! Member

Nov 21, 2007
    thas right Joelz, you go boy

18. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I thought you were going to say his name was Nani:D

jk. Dont forget hugo almeida. he played well vs Armenia and hes doing the deeds in the bundesliga.

19. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    It's kind of a relief to say this...but finnaly we don't have to worry about strikers anymore...

Our only weak spot are left backs...let's bring back Dimas :D

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What are you talking about, our strikers are still unproven and inconsistent.

21. italian soccer guy

italian soccer guy New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    They are lacking a truly class forward!! they are strong in the midfield and good at the back. Maybe best lineup

Ricardo

Bosingwa Pepe Carvalho ??? (miguel?)
    Left?

Vol Maniche

Deco

Ronaldo Quaresma/Nani

???

22. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We are currently trying to naturalize Pato.

23. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I read that Pato's faviourte player is Cristiano Ronaldo:D (I did read that)

24. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I read that he liked watching him, I think he mentioned a few other players as well.

25. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Considering that a few months ago we only had N. Gomes has our best option...now we have Makukula and especially Almeida in a good form. That's quite an improvement if you ask me.

H. Almeida hasn't been inconsistent...unproven, well, he's on his way to reach the topscorers of Bundesliga when the season is over...hopefully :p

Where's your optimism Joel?!