UEFA Euro 2008 Group A Qualifier: Portugal x Armenia[R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by Joelzinho, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    He has been having a great season and he DOES deserve to be in the nt considering that Antunes has no playing time in his club lately.

I would be the first one to contradict several ignorant opinions from users here that barely watched him play this season. They assume that just because he's playing in a team that is having a horrid season then he automatically sucks.
    However, the role he has been playing is something between a left back and a winger. He definitely has the offensive skills to do the same as Bosingwa, believe it or not. But i'm not too sure about his defensive aptitude...I only saw him taking the left back role twice and it wasn't against good teams.

Now considering that the defense is shaky, I don't know if it's a good idea to have an adventurous left back against Finland. If P. Ferreira plays on the right, then it's a good idea to counterbalance on the other side, otherwise we won't have any side back that supports the wingers.
    But again, experimentation has been a bad experience for us. I believe that no one thinks that is a good idea after today's game, so if Bosingwa is injured, it will probably be P. Ferreira on the right and Abel on the left and hope that our wingers will kick ass in the 1 on 1.

About the game:

- My opinion is that Scolari should let the offensive midfielder role go to Nani.
    - Quaresma shoud play over Simão next game.
    - Finland will play open so I expect a better performance from Ronaldo next game..cus it's becoming more than obvious that he needs space to feint in order to overcome his opponents.
    - I hated Maniche today...if he plays like this again, then subbing him for M. Fernandes at the 2nd half wouldn't be a bad idea.
    - Pepe for F. Meira.
    - As for the side defenders...you know what I think. But I do have to say that Caneira was a piece of trash.

2. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I agree with almost 100% of what Chess_Panther said, except I don't think it's a matter of needing space with C.Ronaldo. I think he was just _off_ or uninterested or bored or the game was past his bedtime. I agree he'll play better against Finland. Hopefully people will pile aspersions on him over the next few days and he'll want to prove himself - we know how he responds to negative ... ;-)

As a side note, Bosingwa is not hurt, thankfully. It was just cramps (A Bola). Hard to believe a guy in that kind of physical shape would experience cramps and ask to be subbed, but that's what they are saying.

I am almost 100% sure Scolari is going to put P.Ferreira on the left come Wed. Caneira was pretty bad today. And I don't love Ferreira. My dream would be to see Miguel and Bosingwa playing both outside back positions (screw the fact that they can't cross from the left - how many crosses did Caneira get today?).

I really don't know what the hell to do about the midfield. Today was awful. It was like we were playing with 10 players. Maniche was terrible. Veloso at least was visible if he was unexpectedly crappy on deadballs (he was much, much better in the previous 2 games on deadballs). Simao was miles away from them, never able to link up with anybody or he wasted great passes from others. Whenever Simao was playing AM, he wasted chances. Whenever he drifted to the wing, he lost the ball. I frankly say he should stay on the bench and put M.Fernandes in AM. Or take out Maniche for M.Fernandes. I know it won't happen (too big a game for experimenting with Manelele on the NT, but still, today's tactical setup sucked). And, yeah, maybe it's nice to have Deco after all... ;-)

Oh, one more thing - Makukula is like a bowling ball. As he moved around the PK area, you could see players just bouncing off of him and falling down. The guy is huge. One day it would be fun to play Makukula and H.Almeida side by side, just for fun, to see what would happen...

3. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Dear lord what a boring game. If it wasn't Portugal playing, I would of fallen asleep. No Collective effort at all. When someone had the ball, no one ran for the pass. Everytime Armenia attacked, I got a heart attack. Our defence was crap. We were lucky Armenia had a shit game too or else we would of lost for sure.

I hope we can play better as a team or Finland might just beat our sad defence.

Also, our fans (at the stadium) are pieces of crap. Booing the team??? We played like crap but what are you thinking? You should of stayed home and swear at the TV instead of going to the stadium.... Seriously, they need a lesson from the Scottish fans......

4. Ronaldo07

Ronaldo07 New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    What are you talking about? Ronaldo didn't play his best ever game but he was still Portugal's best player, did you miss the assists he made or the dribbles? what excatly did he do wrong? he way better then Quaresma but i see he's Big Soccer's golden boy so get's a free pass.

I think people here expect way too much from Ronaldo, if he doesn't score or assist loads of goals people bash him and miss all the good things he does in a game.

He had a good first-half with plenty of runs and passes but didn't touch the ball 2nd half because Portugal was playing down the right.

5. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    I blame Scolari for letting him on the field, because he feints more than dribbles. AND when he dribbles it's ALWAYS but ALWAYS in acceleration, meaning that against Armenia that was closing spaces well was more than enough against him. Sure that Ronaldo has faced those kind of teams before and prevailed. But in this game it was individualism all the way because rarely anyone showed up to support. Taking that in consideration, he was doomed to fail.

Ronaldo isn't free of critics...he failed what should of been an extremely easy assist for Almeida and dribbled an opponent for 10 seconds to make no progress on the field at all...personally I liked it, but at the same time we know perfectly well that wasn't the time to fool around.
    He had a good beggining of the 1st half and that was it. He surely wasn't the best player on the field and it's basically you against the world on that.

As for your comments on Quaresma...I'm one of those that actually said bad things about him in the nt and classified him as immature. To put Simão over him until he makes another good performance. It happened, he deserves the praise.
    Bosingwa in my opinion, was the best player on the field. He barely made any mistake, if any.

With Finland playing more open, i'm pretty sure Ronaldo is going to be the hero once again. ;)

6. sporting lisboa

sporting lisboa New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    halifax
    i dunno.. I think you guys are all far to critical on one speicific player... The team collectivly played like crap.. You can't just blame one player for a bad performance... Especially since this is a national team... All of the players on this team are extremely talented.. Some of the best in the world... there is no reason to blame one sole player for a bad game when the team is filled with talent.. Maybe on their other clubs blame is possible but not on the nt.. These teams are built to perform.. and if they arn't performing its only one persons fault.. the coach.. The coaches job is to select what he sees as the best lineup for a team.. hes to keep them practicing to build fitness and chemistry.. Beyond that... players do have their good and their bad days... I think bosingwa and makulula played well.. there was some good passing and some absoultly horrible passing.. like that 2 on 1 towards the end of the game.... All i know is portugal as a team has to turn it around.. because they arn't playing well

7. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Good try, but that is a horrible starting 11. I won't even get into the selections because I'm pretty sure that Portugal will not be able to field 12 players.

8. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Terrible game, not much more to say, most of the team was crap and played like sh.t.

Ricardo was joke like always, first leaving the net and almost getting a brilliant "chapelada" from the armenian and then making a penalty with his head?! lol (Miguel Veloso also to blame for that atrocious back pass).

Caneira was pathetic, he is a slow one footed player doing the lft side of our defense, why the f.ck Scolari called Jorge Ribeiro?!
    Meira was slow and seemed lost, he is completely out of form, Bruno Alves was ok.
    Maniche and Veloso played almost side by side and were probably the main reason why we played so badly they weren´t able to make the transition between the defense and the attack, Simão was completely lost, blame for Scolari for being an arsehole, he is a winger with winger skills, not a number 10 who can hold the game, link with the midfield and create spaces for the wingers and striker.
    Cristiano Ronaldo was horrible, played alone for most of the game, Quaresma was slightly better at least he played a little more for the team.
    Hugo Almeida did his job scored and assisted Simão for a clear goal.

Bosingwa IMO once again the man of the match he is a player playing in another dimension, speed, strenght, vision, agressivity, team work and improving his passing assisting Hugo Almeida for the 3 points.

The subs had no impact, Manuel Fernandes linked the midfield but he lost the ball to many times.

The supporters were awfull if they aren´t liking at least shut the f.ck up! I didn´t liked aswell but if i was in the stadium at least i wouldn´t start booing the team its just classless, if you aren´t there to support at least shut up.
    The FPF shouldn´t play in Leiria in the near future.

P.S. If we play against Finland like we did against Armenia, certainly we will suffer...

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think we should go with the same lineup that was used for the Armenia game, but either have Manuel Fernandes or Nani play that central position...Simao first off the bench.

10. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    ******** that.

Pepe in place of meira, or we will be ********ing raped in the air and litman and co will run circles around meira.

Maybe play Jorge ribeiro leftback..******** knows...maybe put abel there? who knows, i just dont want that shit caniera.

in midfield play fernandes there..more balance, and we will play better as veloso can stay back with maniche a bit more forward.

-----------------Ricardo---------------
    -----------Pepe----------Alves--------
    Bosingwa-----------------------Scolari?
    -----------------Veloso-----------------
    --------Maniche--------Fernandes-------
    Quaresma--------------------------Ronaldo
    ------------------Makukula----------------

Almeida is apparantly injured..

Nani. simao, and Gomes subs off the bench.

Or replace fernandes with nani//but we risk our midfield to much..

why dont we play a 4-4-2? and let ronaldo play as a roaming striker like at united..

----------Maniche------Veloso----------
    Quaresma--------------------------Nani
    ------------Ronaldo----Makukula-------

11. bnrnortel

bnrnortel Member

Nov 18, 2004
    In retrospective - I blame the twelfth man on the field.

If you have looked at the last couple of games - the spectators have not done their job in getting behind their team.

How about the chants?
    How about the wave?
    How about the flag - scarf - sign - waving?
    How about the oles when Portugal has the ball?

I watched the game with friends and I was chanting while sitting on the couch - I blew the horn - wore the jersey - waved the flag.

If that is the way the Portuguese homeland is going to be, then they shuold play their qualifying games where there is a great portuguese popualtion who will support them - France, Brazil, Germany, Belgium, Canada, US.

12. CDSANTACLARA

CDSANTACLARA New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Fall River, MA

The damn game was in Leiria a team that has crappier attendence records than some 2nd and 3rd division in Portugal teams bro.

The Dragao will be far more intimidating no lie. Im pist that they played in Leiria

cities like Funchal, Ponta Delgada, Faro are left out and the atmosphere would of been better against teams like Armenia the 10,000 seater stadiums seem logical

anyone remember when we played at the Bessa this year against Azerbaijan disgraceful if that game was in Funchal or Ponta Delgada would of been better.

But I must say Portugal should use the Estadio Nacional for massive games

13. Mighty_Mouse

Mighty_Mouse New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    That's a solid lineup. I don't think Pepe could possibly play any worse than Meira did in the last match so he deserves a shot. My only concern is whether he will be able to keep his composure, while making his debut, in such an important match. That's a lot of responsibility to throw onto his shoulders so early but I'd be willing to risk it. I think Caneira just needs to find his footing for the NT, kind of like Quaresma. If it's between him and Ribeiro, I would flip a coin since none of them would make me feel comfortable back there.

Almeida is injured and I really hope Makukula gets the start over Nuno. Knowing Scolari though, it would not surprise me if he starts Nuno and keeps Maku as an impact sub for later in the match. That would not be horrible because it's important to have some solid sub options to freshen things up but I want to see Maku get a start for the NT.

On a side note: Are these white kits the new home colors? Why were they wearing white in a home match?

14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    they should really have played the armenia game in Funchal, especially now that C. Ronaldo is the star of the team. I dont rmemebet them playing in Funchal for a long time.

but in the end, the fans were silent because portugal was playing shit. and when Portugal plays shit in Alvalade, Luz, Dragao or on the moon the fans will always boo and whistle thats the way portuguese supporters are.

Estadio nacional is falling apart, any NT games in Lisbon will just be in Alvalade, Luz or Restelo...

white jersies are not home ,they are away. its just that portugal doesnt have the new red kits yet, and wont have them for a while. i guess theyll wear red on wednday, but the current kits not the euro 08 ones.

15. CDSANTACLARA

CDSANTACLARA New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Fall River, MA
    Whats wrong with Starting Nuno????

Last I checked he saved are asses and got us a point in Helsinki and he seems to play good in Oporto.

Maku does not have enuff expeirence neither those Almeida this game is full of pressure for a striker and Nuno Gomes has scored alot this season I beleive 6 Goals in the Liga 3 in the Euros 1 in the CL

All together thats 10 goals in a injury strikin season.

I say start Nuno

16. CDSANTACLARA

CDSANTACLARA New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Fall River, MA
    Start Nuno this could be his game I remember seeing him getting the best of Hypiaa no several occisions both National and Club wise

[​IMG]

17. CDSANTACLARA

CDSANTACLARA New Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Fall River, MA
    He has currently scored 3 goals in the Euro 2008 qualifiers. His first was scored against Finland and earned Portugal a much needed point in Helsinki. The second came in a 2-1 loss to the Poland and the third in a 4-0 win against Belgium. He also added an assist to his name after a long pass to Tiago, which ended in a goal in Belgrade against Serbia. Now, he is the captain of Selecao Das Quinas, leading the team to Euro 2008 next year.

18. berolina

berolina New Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Berlin
    Huh? The had every right to boo. Just imagine freezing your a*** off at a terrible football game having expected at least an adequate performance with oh so many golos. Just a thought...

19. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am just glad then none of you are the coach, or we would really be in trouble. :rolleyes::D

Bad game, got the 3 points...does anything else matter right now?

Hard to have this many injuries and put players in that haven't played together or practice together for very long.

Each player comes from clubs that play very diffirent styles, tough to get all of those things together particularly when you are asking them now to change their game to fit your tactics.

I am expecting a much better game on Wednesday.

20. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal