UEFA Euro 2008 Group A Qualifier: Kazakhstan x Portugal [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by money11, Oct 16, 2007.

1. sporting lisboa

sporting lisboa New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    halifax

what about ricardo as captain?? He's got alot of experiance on the team

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I rather have Carvalho have it.

3. Ronaldo07

Ronaldo07 New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Carvalho has only played 39 times for Portugal (Ronaldo has played 51) and is 29, not a captain that's gonig to lead Portugal into the future.

i havn't seen a valid reason yet why Ronaldo is not the best captain avaliable for Portugal? it would seem a little harsh to take it off him when hes done nothing wrong, if you watched him in the two games he played well, mature and helped direct the team to victories, the captain is normally the first one to get the stick when the team loses, which is what is confusing me here because Portugal won and could of won by more had they took their chances, it's like some have something against Ronaldo or people like moaning for the sake of it.

it benefits Ronaldo the most to be captain, it makes him realise the team is the most important, Carvalho doesn't need that, he plays like that anyway as does Deco, Ricardo ect.

4. sporting lisboa

Sep 1, 2007
    halifax

ronaldo i'm pretty sure is 21 unless your talking about ricardo

5. Ronaldo07

Ronaldo07 New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    i'm talking about Carvalho, Ronaldo is 22.

6. sporting lisboa

Sep 1, 2007
    halifax
  7. d_almeida

d_almeida New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Given your posts and username I don't think people are taking your biased opinions too seriously.

Ronaldo wasn't all that fantastic in those 2 games, Ronaldo is also not a player you want to rally the troops when the team is down. When the team is in a bind we've all seen what happens to him. Vs France in the WC he tried to do everything by himself, like he lost faith in the other 10 players on the field. I remember him dribbling up and down trying to score on 25 meter shots.

Vs Greece granted he was young but we needed someone to take that game and control, keep everyone calm. Not mindlessly take players one on one and try to score on individual efforts.

At times when we need to play as a team Ronaldo does not.

Ronaldo is a great player, he's not a captain.

8. chicaCR7

chicaCR7 New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    NY
    Ok I just made an account for my own self right now! I usually logged in wit a friends account or just sometimes read the news or posts! But this has gone too far! I mean come on people calm down, we are not here to say who is a better player or hate on the players on the Portuguese team! Can't we just be happy we won these two games?

I mean honestly, there was no arguing about who was captain before this, well no one actually made such a big fuzz about it untill it was handed to Ronaldo! I mean Gomes was captain & he wasn't playing that well & Costinha was captain & Pauleta as well! So while Gomes played being captain no one focused on the fact that he was the captain but bc he didn't perform that well! Now that Ronaldo was handed the captain band for these two games everyone flips out! Why didnt we insist on the fact to give captain to Carvalho while Gomes was captain? Is not like Ronaldo destroyed the team & caused us to lose did he? Against Azerbaijan he was the hardest working player & against Kakzhstan he still was trying his hardest, & its not like Ronaldo as a captain will break down in the field & tell Deco/Ricardo etc what to do & play the game bc no one will start shouting! And then some of u said a captain is a person who leads, who has command in the dressing room, talks to players etc, how do we know what goes on in the dressing room eh?
    We don't know, but for a reason Ronaldo was chosen captain! Its not bc he's a brilliant player but bc it must have to do wit something else! On field he does show he has the leadership do u know why? Bc when the team decides to play weak or like not giving a crap, Ronaldo will be performing! yes all players have a bad day, but he will be playing his guts out for his team! He has true passion for Portugal, the way he bonds wit the players & u could just tell he loves to represent his country. Then when he gets fouled, being captain will make the referees think twice before letting the oppostion get away wit a tackle! Ronaldo could change a game in a heart beat, he makes the runs, is able to lift the team up! Am I saying that no other player has that capacity? Offcourse there r others, but this is also a good thing that we argue who should be the captain of Portugal bc it means that the players truly care for the team & more than one has the ability to benefit Portugal!

So who ever becomes or is captain we should accept it & be happy! Not start bashing them!
    Ronaldo is 22, but Scolari will leave & he wants to prepare him for that role! Ronaldo has the CHARACTER, if the fact that he took so much crap from the English media & was hated/booed for an entire year & he kept them quite with his performances doesnt yell character/determination then I dont know what! He's mentally strong, & he might not make the best decisions all the time but he does have the ability to be captain! He is young right now & if it is handed to Carvalho/Ricardo for the next 2-3 years it wont be a problem & Ronaldo taking it at 25-26! But don't say he doesnt deserve it, bc he does perform his heart out for his country!

And QUARESMA, please leave the guy alone lol! I mean we all know he's so talented & what upsets me is that he is soooo good that when he doesn't perform I feel terrible bc hes such a great player! He and the ball r one & he just turned 24 & if we cant show faith in him, How do we expect Scolari to do so?, which he hasnt done! Give him time, hand him games, keep him in the game & after a few performances he will come to himself
    And the Quaresma/Ronaldo hate, u've got to be kidding right? These two guys r like brothers! U can see the harmony between them two! :D

Peace people, lets calm down!

9. Ronaldo07

Ronaldo07 New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Ronaldo was great against Azerbaijan, and in the second half against Kazakhstan, he was man of the match in both games, so it's not only me with only bias views huh? i guess UEFA is biased...

Did you see Ronaldo last season? he was the main guy for man utd. how can you expect Ronaldo to play well if the other players are not giving him enough ball or winning the midfield battle first? he plays on the wing, he relies on other players to give him the ball. atleast he tried to make things happen in the France game, unlike the other Portuguese players who went out without a fight. i also recall him setting up numerous chances in that game.

He was 18 vs Greece, since then hes matured into one of the best players in the world, have you seen him play lately? do you watch man utd games? have you seen him play for Portugal in the last 2 years? hes scored 8 goals this qualifying group, 5 more then Gomes and Simao, hes been Portugal's best player, hes the last person you can blame for Portugal been in this position. did you see the WC qualifying group aswell? he scored a bunch of goals then, so when the chips are down and when Portugal need to win these important qualifying games he delivers with a assist or goal. without him Portugal would be in a much worser position, they wouldn't of had a chance to qualify, it's as simple as that.

Ronaldo is a perfect captain for Portugal, hes fearless, a winner, has the confidence-arrogance, he inspires the team to play better by leading by example and is someone the players/referees look up to or respect. he also maybe great off the field, Scolari has said before hes a future captain, do you think Scolari is wrong?

10. artistwanta_b

artistwanta_b Member

Aug 16, 2004

UM...the only two victories Portugal has with Simoa in the starting line-up is verses....azerbaijan and kazakhstan...

Now don't you feel foolish?

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes yes....Another female to the Portuguese boards. It all coming together now boys...yes...yes...

12. ilbambino

ilbambino Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The people hating on Quaresma are pissing me off because their opinions are so bias and stupid. Before you go bashing the player look at what happens when he starts. All your doing is making yourself look stupid when you say Simao is better than Quaresma because it is not true. The guy clearly deserves a spot on the starting lineup. And Ronaldo07, your last comment about Quaresma being jealous of Ronaldo, so stupid and not true. They grew up both playing for Sporting and being friends so get your facts kid before you go making untrue statements.

13. chicaCR7

chicaCR7 New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    NY
    haha Im glad for the welcome :)

14. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    1) I agree, and you described Ronaldo;)
    2) go to customer service https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5 or better yet PM dark knight https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/member.php?u=6499

15. money11

money11 Member

Apr 15, 2007
    The fact is.......... quaresma PLAYED LIKE SHHHHIIIITTTTTTTT last game. PERIOD.

16. Paul Sousa

Paul Sousa Member

Sep 18, 2005
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    There is more then one!? :D

17. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Yet the last 25 minutes he played miles better when he realized the management on the bench gave him a massive vote of confidence in him and he setup our first goal brilliantly after almost setting up another before that.

Let him ride out the storm..what Murtosa did was brilliant in keeping him in, and could very well be the turning point for quaresma if he gets the nod again in November which I hope he does.

Lets wait and find out.

18. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Ola chicka.

Hope you stick around.

We need more diversity here and the touch of a woman to keep everyone in line:D

Cheers.

19. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Not really, I was just trying to point out the irrelevance of it. Quaresma's advantage is only the game in Belgium where he really performed well...but this game is also about the colective and individual mistakes (ex: Ricardo) so pointing out results like it proves something it's ridiculous.
    Simão is way more consistent then Quaresma and that alone is proof enough that he should be the one starting. Of course the cigano has more skills overall and can influence a game more easily but he has to show it on the field and not losing the ball constantly because he likes to show off. So think about the danger it is against top tier teams. He also has no sense of teamplay which is something I don't mind, as long he actually succeeds in the ********ing 1 on 1!
    I believe pressure is his only obstacle and sooner or later he will overcome. I just hope it doesn't take too long because I would like to see him playing for the nt as he does in Porto.

20. artistwanta_b

artistwanta_b Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Look...I know what your saying.

My point was if we focus on his inability to beat the 1 on 1's in THESE two games. We are not looking at how he contributed in other ways.

For example...

If all Quaresma does for the NT is act as a decoy so teams can't triple and quadruple CR then that is enough for me. I don't think you can argue that CR has played better in games in which Quaresma started. Look at the goals scored...he simply has scored more when Quaresma started. Not to mention Quaresma has four assists in four starts.

Also, you can't dispute the fact that Quaresma has played MUCH better on the right side. To me if CR truly is our captain then he needs to take one for the team and play on the left as he did when Figo played for the NT. The TEAM would just be better and there isn't much of a drop off with CR playing on the left but its obvious Quaresma plays better on the right.

My two cents...

21. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Here are my .02.

Actually when the team is in a possesion mode of game Quaresma is more effective on the left, and CR in the middle. When we are in a countering mode, then I prefer Quaresma on the right, and CR on the left.

I'll explain further if you'd like.

22. chicaCR7

chicaCR7 New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    NY
    Jeje! Yea don't worry I'll be around!

Yep, most of the time men r too agressive to settle things down just by talking (its true aiint it? lol) & keep cool, so keep it in line boys & don't stress it lol!

23. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Very true. I understand your theory.

Also, with Deco missing our next couple games due to a serious injury I wonder what Scolari will do.

Play a midfielder like moutinho or carlos martins, or play with 3 wingers behind the targetman( hopefully Makakula)?

Maybe finally fullfill our dreams and play two strikers?!:D

24. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I rather see Nani in there. They played pretty good together. Always changing positions between themselves. Nani is more then capable of playing in the middle...and it appears he is coming along. The recent game for Manchester United was VERY impressive.

25. chicaCR7

chicaCR7 New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    NY
    Here is something for the ones who haven't come across it lol!

Haha! The part where Nani spoke English was hilarious! He speaks it fairly well is just the way he said "tonigh after dinner.." haha :) And the part where the players would say I dont know where Scolari is haha lol!
    The team spirit is great :)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jINRHYcAm0A