Uefa cup more interesting than the CL

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by johan neeskens, Dec 2, 2004.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Does anyone agree? The CL is a tournament for money-grabbing cynics whereas REAL football romance still exists in the Uefa cup. This is where the small clubs can still make their mark, this is where the stadiums are still sold out and where the fans can still get excited about the tournament.

2. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I agree.
    Unfortunately there will be even less TV coverage than now in Germany in the future.
    ARD which showed Feyenoord - Schalke yesterday won't show any UEFA cup games anymore next season.

Other networks can't afford to pay what ARD did so only some special games will be televised by DSF (which I'm not even able to watch) or Sat 1 which means less TV money for the teams....

Yes, I'm pissed about this!

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah it's better than it has been in the past. The group stages has made a very positive change, I hate watching the two-leg thing, where the away team camps in their own half and counterattacks even when they're a goal down.

4. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    I think the CL is a much higher overall standard of play, but I agree the UEFA Cup can be exciting.

Even a team like Newcastle can dream it might win it, whereas getting past the first group stage in the CL was all we could hope for.

I am sure the Newcastle - Sporting game on 16 December will be a good one, as both sides will be anxious to ensure that they win the group and avoid having to play a team from the CL.

5. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Aye i agree this year, cause we are still in it. But next year i will be for the Champions League. Had some excellent trips abroad, watching the Mags in the Champions League.

We were still sold out in the Champions League a coupla years ago.

6. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Viana cant play against us this time, like Lua Lua did for Portsmouth. Which means there is no chance of him scoring against us.

7. XabiAlonso

XabiAlonso New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    München
    Why's that, then? Your club won't be in it.

8. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Yeah yeah Mr Munchen.

PS, who won the war anyway, just out of interest, i'm curious.

9. XabiAlonso

XabiAlonso New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    München
    As though this has anything to do with the subject.

By the way, you should avoid making assumptions about a person's nationality based on where they currently happen to be living...

10. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Oh ok. I was just asking a question fella, had no bearing whatsoever that you might be German.

11. XabiAlonso

XabiAlonso New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    München
    Not a problem. I believe the Red Army emerged victorious in the war I think you're referring to.

12. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

* scratches head * Red Army, i thought that was the Soviets.