UEFA Cup Leg 2: Breda-Toon[R]

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by CrewToon, Oct 14, 2003.

1. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bernard gets a yellow in the wrong half of the field. Stupid.

Lualua hits the post of a wide open net, ONLY 3 YARDS OUT!! What a miss.

2. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were quite a few chances for both sides in the final minutes of the match, but none wound up in the back of the net.

Full time, 1-0 Newcastle.

3. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Cleazer,

Thanks again.

Comments on Viana's play today?

4. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Viana had another dangerous shot right at the end of the match. He was solid in the midfield, and didn't make any bad mistakes. He won a few balls from Breda players. However, its kind of tough to give individual grades to some of the NUFC midfielders. For most of the match, they seemed perfectly content to pass it amongst themselves, or back to their defenders. Although, at the end of the match when they finally bothered to mount some serious attacks, the Newcastle attacks were far more dangerous then the Breda ones.

The 1-0 result was a fair one.

5. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome updates, cleazer. Thank you very much.

6. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I jut took a look at the possible opponents for the next round. Besides the usual suspects, like Utrecht, København, Maccabi Haifa, and Hajduk Split, there aren't many famous and scary teams for us to worry about.

The only ones that I would like to avoid would be Red Star Belgrade and the 2 Turkish clubs. Anyone else should be okay.

7. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    What about Barca, Dortmund, Roma, Parma, Schalke, Feynoord, Sporting, Benfica, Hamberg, Bordeaux, Mallorca, Udinese and Herta Berlin.

8. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Sorry no Hamburg, Udinese or Herta in the next round but i did forget about Valencia

9. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We cannot be drawn against any of those teams you mentioned. Barcelona, Valencia, and all those other teams will be seeded, along with Newcastle. We will be drawn against one of the unseeded teams for this round.

There are 24 teams in the unseeded pot, and we will be drawn against one of them, since there are no teams from England in that pot. (Man City is ranked 24th out of the 24 teams in the seeded pot. If Udinese, Kaiserslautern, Hertha, etc would have gone through, Man City could be facing a trip to Valencia or Dortmund.)

We will play one of the following 24 teams:
    Basel, Panionios, Maccabi Haifa, Red Star Belgrade, Aris Thessaloniki, Sochaux, Brøndby, Utrecht, København, Levski Sofia, Hearts, Teplice, Gaziantepspor, Vålerengen, Genclerbirligi, Steaua Bucuresti, Molde, Hajduk Split, Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Austria Salzburg, Torpedo Moscow, Groclin Grodzisk, DVSC Debrecen, or Dinamo Bucuresti.

Like I said above, I would like to avoid Red Star Belgrade and the Turks.

Groclin Grodzisk sounds like some old comic book villian. Some of those names really hurt my ears. When are we going to force the rest of the world to learn english? Or as they say on the Spanish channels over here, "When I'm in America, I speak American."

10. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I see said the blind man.

Thanks