UEFA Cup Hamburg v City [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by CityBlues, Apr 9, 2009.

1. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks to watch our season die. Having to win 2-Nil @ home against Hamburg who dominated us seems like a TALL order. As you all are fully aware though, our season has been infested with disappointments so no one can be too surprised by this result. But then again, our away form has been dreadful and our home form has been decent and anything can happen. Shay Given is already a legend in my opinion.

2. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    God, we are so weak, I think a Championship team could run all over us right now. Hughes has no backbone keeping Robinho on the field when he's doing nothing. When he didn't chase the ball in the first half when he could have stopped it, that summed up his appalling laziness. Our forwards ran whereever they pleased too. Get it together, Hughes. :mad:

3. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Yeah, it's pretty much over. The chances of us either outscoring Hamburg by 3 at home or beat it 2-0 is extremly slim. The only hope we have at Europe next year is to take the 7th spot, which we're 6 points behind on.

The off season is going to be ugly, who's gonna wanna come to City, a team that is not playing in Europe next season?

4. CityBlues

CityBlues Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally agree Stu, what was Robinho doing? He could have at least kept it in bounds instead of just giving up on the pass because he was unhappy with it. I mean WTF gives man, how much money do you get paid to PLAY football? I am personally sick of just about all of our forwards, wew have such a varying team personality wise. Half are diva's, about a quarter are poor quality, and the other quarter are players that have been with us for some time and show heart on a consistent basis. What happened after the goal? Hamburg took it to us. Is it so much to ask for at least 100% effort from players like Robinho? I mean really!

If we can somehow magically pull out a 2-Nil home win in this one I would be dumbfounded, and quite happy. But as it stands now, and if our run of play continues as is, this season is going straight down the tubes. We are out of the 7th place race in my opinion.

At least MLS is starting up here at home...

5. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't get to watch the entire match, but we were weren't looking bad when I watched. But Robinho is really not doing it. He's not using his greatest stregnths right now, he's on the field just because he has to be on the field. I mean its ridiculous. There was one sequence where we got the ball forward to Robinho. He stands there just dance and not really doing anything and lets the Hamburg defender strip him of the ball. This act has gotten old... Time to step up the effort Robby and its up to Hughes to get it out of him. He's got to get this guys attention, get him playing at a top level, or else.

6. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yea Robinho was poor for about 85 minutes :) but he did help get that away goal, Ireland is a heck of a player, there was another chance where Bellamy shot instead of crossed it into a wide open Ireland in front of the goal. More and more impressed by his determination.

Overall we were outplayed big time by Hamburg, I dont follow the bundesliga really closely but IIRC Hamburg was in relegation 2.5 seasons ago, they turned it around and build the team up with useful players and in 2-3 seasons they have turned from relegation candidate to potential league winners despite losing their best player and two starters (to us). That's what we have to do, get players who will fit into our system and build the team up instead of telling the media that the ambition is to get into the top 4 when we are barely a top 10 team.

7. pazzmore

pazzmore Member

Jun 17, 2000
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon. Hamburg are in TOP form and are a very good team. We have no cohesion, no real team unity, no solid starting 11, players playing out of position, no morale, etc. etc.

I blame Mark Hughes. What was Wayne Bridge doing in that team? He was clearly not fit. I also think Hughes should have gone over there looking for a draw. Instead, he plays Ireland, SWP, Robinho, Bellamy, Sturridge and tells them to go balls out in the attack... so we concede 3 after taking the lead. Wouldn't it have been better to bunker down and play defense FIRST after that goal? Clock management. Possession ball. Sub out Robinho for Gelson and Elano for Sturridge and then move into more of a 4-2-3-1 or something?