UEFA Cup First Round - U.S. Citta Di Palermo vs Anorthosis Famagusta FC [R]

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by AmericanRosanero, Sep 13, 2005.

1. AmericanRosanero

AmericanRosanero New Member

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    So it has come to this!

This thursday, at the Renzo, at La Favorita, U.S. Citta di Palermo will finally debut in European competition. I don't know next to anything about AFFC. But I know this, that after the Inter game, they will come out wiith some fire!

Guardalben is still out, so here's hoping that Santoni is still hungry to prove himself.

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Well, if just being in Europe isn't motivation enough, the Anorthosis team web site has an article running under the headline "Mafia and arrogance in Sicily!" What a bunch of bull. I read about it in this article:

http://it.sports.yahoo.com/050913/8/apbb.html

I looked up the site for myself, figuring they might've taken it down by now. But no, it's still there. It's in Greek, of course, but Babelfish can translate:

http://www.anorthosis.net/reportaz.php

Just plug it into your favorite translator (eg http://babelfish.altavista.com ), and there it is. Okay, so they're trying to pump up their team by claiming Palermo is too confidenet and overlooking them. Fine. But the gratuitous mafia comment is clearly uncalled-for.

3. NickyViola

NickyViola Member+

May 10, 2004
    Boston
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
  4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Unbelievably, it looks like this match is not going to be shown on TV even in Italy! :eek:

5. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What, does Mourinho coach these freaks now or something? :rolleyes:

Hell, remember last year when they first played Palermo-Messina? Spanish paper AS had an article talking about a "derby of the mafia" or whatever it was. *****************

6. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  7. AmericanRosanero

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    Just shows the utter ignorance that Sicilia and Sicilians in general still get from time to time. Again, hopefully the team takes this and channels it into a RIGHT proper thumping, and we'll show these champions of Cypress what a true Sicilian greeting is.

And as for Jose, he's just Jose. I take about 99.9% he says and put it in one ear, and out the other.

8. AmericanRosanero

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
  9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Well, looks like RAI Due has picked it up domestically, but I don't think that can be found on any live stream. Might be available on a torrent later though. Too bad RAI International doesn't show UEFA Cup games anymore.

10. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can listen to all of Palermo's games on Radio Giornale di Sicilia (RGS) online. It's in Italian language, though.

Forza Palermo nella Coppa UEFA!!

11. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Can you provide a link to that radio station?

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Actually, it now appears that the game will be shown LIVE on RAI Sport Sat which IS available on a stream!!!!! Kickoff is at 3 pm Eastern US time. RAI Due's telecast is, in fact, delayed because the kickoff conflicts with Roma's game, which is on the same channel.

Here is the link to RAI Sport Sat:

mms://fastreal.fastweb.it/raisporthigh

If you have trouble connecting during the game (their server is not the most robust one), it'll be re-aired at 6:10 pm and then Friday at 12:25 am, 5 am, and 9:35 am (all Eastern).

13. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nice find Sue!!! But it doesn't show up as a link above...is there a letter missing?

Gonna have to watch this one...

14. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Never mind, you already fixed it. :D

15. AmericanRosanero

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    SUE!!!

I have to know! Is that 6:10 EST or CST?

16. AmericanRosanero

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    From Goal.com

Uefa Cup Preview: Palermo-Anorthosis
    9/15/2005 10:13:00 AM
    The Rosanero start their Uefa Cup adventure at home against Cypriot side Anorthosis.
    Following their impressive win over Inter, there is a lot of expectation surrounding the Sicilian side. The squad showed some excellent football and fans will be hoping that their team continues performing like this all throughout the season.

This should be the case against Anorthosis who are definitely not on the same level of the Italian team. However Palermo will have to be careful as the Cypriot side caused some problems to Glasgow Rangers in the Champions League preliminary round, thus it might not be as easy as it is expected to be.

Delneri will rely on the turnover as he will rest some key players from each department ahead of this weekend’s league game against Siena. For Palermo this promises to be an exciting and great season as the fans can dream of European glory after years in Serie B football.

PROBABLE FORMATIONS

Palermo (4-4-2):
    Santoni; M. Ferri, Biava, Terlizzi, Grosso; Santana, Mutarelli, Corini, Bonanni; Brienza, Makinwa.

Anorthosis (4-4-2):
    Georgalidis; Poursaitid

17. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it would be EDT.

18. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.rgs.fm/framesetrgshp.htm and click on the speaker to hear it live. Though, I just clicked on it, and the audio sounds robotic and unlistenable right now, and I don't know if they'll fix it before the match.

19. AmericanRosanero

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    haha!

I made it!

I got a pal to cover work for me, so now the first live Palermo game I get to watch is their firest Euro game! :D

20. InteristAmerica

InteristAmerica BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 26, 2005
    Boston, MA usa
    how are you watchin the game? computer? i really miss out on european games where i am

21. AmericanRosanero

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    I'm using the RAI Sport Sat link sue gave.

high quality! this is gonna be nuts!

22. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I hope it works for you - there will probably be a heavy load, but if you're already connected, hopefully it'll be okay. Good luck!!! To you and Palermo!

EDIT: Indeed, looks like I can't get onto the server at this point. Maybe I'll just wait for the replay.

23. AmericanRosanero

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    I've been on for a good 15 minutes. I'm watching a highlight show about italian extreme watersports.

FORZA YOU ROSANERO!!!!!

24. AmericanRosanero

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo
    5 minutes!

I hope this program ends now

>__>

25. AmericanRosanero

Dec 11, 2004
    St. Louis, Mo