UEFA Cup draw

Discussion in 'Germany' started by olafgb, Aug 30, 2002.

1. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Games with German participation:

Aberdeen vs Hertha

Probably a typical Hertha first round game with lots of fight, very bad quality and a secure advancing despite of that. But surely the best draw.

Gomel (Belarussia) vs Schalke

Everything, but advancing very securely would be a giant surprise. Probably we'll see the premier of a very empty Arena AufSchalke during a soccer game.

Metallurg Donezk (Ukraine) vs Bremen

Unattractive draw and not entirely easy. Bremen should advance though.

Stuttgart vs Ventspils (Latvia)

They fought their way through the UI Cup to make some money - but surely not against such an opponent. 5.000 in the stadium and TV coverage of the home game will at least be enough to compensate the costs for the journey to Latvia.

2. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    I know that Aberdeen will not be happy with that draw. They were looking for a team that they had possibilities of beating. This is because they have a very young team, and need as many games as possible to gain experience.

I suppose they might be happy from the financial standpoint of playing Hertha.

Aberdeen are led by one of the more experienced European coaches, Dane Ebbe Skovdahl. He managed more than 50 European ties with Brondby.

But he has a VERY negative mindset when playing superior opposition. Never plays more than one attacker when Aberdeen plays Rangers or Celtic. Consequently, their results against these teams have been poor. I think this means he will be playing negative tactics v. Hertha.

So I agree with your analysis that Hertha should win this tie comfortably. But Aberdeen did have some good home form last year, including a 2-0 win over Celtic. If they can repeat this form then they can avoid conceding a goal at home. This would obviously then give them an outside chance to win the tie.

Players: Almost all Scottish (unusual for a Scottish club!), some continental players (Bisconti, Delomeaux, Danish goalkeeper Kjaer).

Internationals, not many. Only McNaughton with a couple of games recently for Scotland. Kjaer went to the World Cup as a backup to Sorensen. Although I do think they should have more players involved with Scotland. However, this says more about Scotland than it does about Aberdeen - ;)