UEFA.com: Donovan returns to Bayer

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by StillKickin, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. papa surf

papa surf New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Baltimore
    The one thing I see in LD each NAT. game is his great first touch. Tell me if I am wrong, but that is one of the major tools needed at any level.

Has anyone heard anything on his visit,I know its still early yet.

2. _Wheels_

_Wheels_ New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Wisconsin Rapids, WI
    I'm curious. Just what is Donovan's current transfer value? If he impresses at Leverkusen (which I really believe he will), I could easily see clubs offering over $10 million for him. The most paid for an American was around $6 million for Reyna, correct?

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Not.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A German site listed it at 3.5 million euros, which is around $4.5M, depending on how far the dollar has slid recently.

As Stan Collins said, it's a bit too big of an asset for Leverkusen to keep on the bench... wait, England66 said it also... haha

5. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

According to Claudio's book, Sunderland paid Rangers $6.8 million for him, a Sunderland record transfer fee.

6. AmericanPatriot

AmericanPatriot New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Bakersfield,CA
    Donovan is going to put his foot down on those damn euros, dude is so friggin talented yo.

Peace

7. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Donovan is much faster than Beasley.

8. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Here is what about Landon with so many of games I watched over him:

1) He will kill you if he got the space. No matter who you are, he just kill you.
    2) He can kill any midfield and defense line when he makes run without the ball with his speed and quickness.
    3) He can kill any midfield and defense line when he makes deep run with the ball with his indecisive pass and accurate shooting.
    4) He can carry a team by himself and decides a game if he wants to or being challenged to do so.
    5) He will be loved by teammates with his unselfishness to get the ball to best position to score.
    6) He can score a lot if his teammates can get the pass to him with quick one-twos.
    7) He is most dangerous at the last 10 minutes when every body has red light flashes with their tanks but he still have about half of tanks left. (In last World Cup, Portugal defenders almost ran off the gas by him and Beasely at the half time. :>)
    8) He will KILL a lot of teams in both league and CL games because those defenders get no clue what kind of games he bring. It takes at least one season for them to figure out a way to stop him.
    9) He can be stopped by MLS defenders who assign a guy to grab, kick, push, etc. as a full time job. Plus when he got bored and complecent in the game. That isn't going to happen in Europe because other teammates are good players too.
    10) He will become a HOT property in the Europe that in turn will make his younger brothers --Eddie Johnson, etc. becoming hot in European eyes.

9. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, were there any Landon sightings in the crowd at the Bayer Leverkusen - Freiburg match yesterday? Any pictures? Any news updates (gossip or otherwise)? I believe Bayer Leverkusen won the match 4-1.

http://www.bayer04.de/en/2255.htm

10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    You haven't seen a German 17th Division game then, i guess :D (and yes, there is a 17th Division and even lower leagues).

11. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just one thought:
    The thing starting the whole MLS discussion was that someone on the Leverkuse board wrote: "American Football leauge". Did he really write that or did he write "Amerikanische Fußball Liga", which would be American soccer leauge and therefor MLS...
    Just as we'd call the Premier leauge Englische Fußball Liga...

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kind of curious as to how the trip is going, so I've done a little fishing on the internet and came up with this babelfish translation of an apparent interview with Donovan from Kicker magazine that was posted on a message board..so take it for what it's worth:

Translation: "From the expenditure for kicker print:

Kicker: Landon Donovan, contently after the attendance in the BayArena?

Donovan: In any case one. Bavarian pointed to the break, which perspective has the crew.

kicker: Their future crew?

Donovan: Why not.

kicker: They have Leverkusen once abandoned....

Donovan: I am older and riper. I see my perspective here in Europe.

kicker: Do you come in January to Bavarian?

Donovan: Must be led still some discussions with the MLS. I would come gladly. I am now ready for Leverkusen." End of translation.

I kind of like that last Q and A. Hope this happens.

13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, but he really should use deoderant before these interviews. :) (bad joke on the older and riper line). Gotta love the poetry of "they have Leverkusen once abandoned." though.

14. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is fitting that kicker addresses him as "Sie" and not "Du".

Mathis probably gets "du" though - being from Georgia and all.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The euro was at about $1.20 this summer. it's currently up to about $1.3 billion. At least it seems that way. I get paid in $, not that I'm bitter.

16. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    An all too 'familiar' cut.

Well, like the song says:

Du, du, liegt mir im Herzen,
    Du, du, liegt mir im sinn.
    Du, du, macht mir viel Schmerzen --
    Weiss nicht wie gut ich dir bin?

-- and apparantly Clint continues to 'weiss nicht.'

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Schade.

BTW, Landon was making ~ $100K/Y in his initial deal. MLS had ~ quadrupled his pay and I would think he's due for another raise now, if he goes to Bayer.

Is that what the "negotiations with the MLS" are all about?

18. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wynalda was just on ESPNews and when asked about Adu's development he used Donovan as a comparison. And he also said Donovan was going back to Leverkusen (and that it is no surprise--it's what was expected).

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That song should be the official anthem for Mathis lovers. Or Mathis managers, for that matter.

20. Blue Eyed Soul

Blue Eyed Soul New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Gilbert, AZ USA
    I'd love to see what he fishes for out in the transfer market...I'd say--$5.5 - 6 million?
    He would be great in Spain.

21. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I would guess that they are completely reworking his contract.

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An article in today's Kansas City Star:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/soccer/mls/kansas_city_wizards/10131575.htm

Interesting quote:
    “They are very reasonable people,” Donovan told the New York Daily News about Leverkusen. “If you don't want to be here, it isn't jail. If you don't want to be here, then you don't have to be here. (They'll) figure something out that works for you. I am obligated. At some point I have to owe up to what I did, which was sign a contract a long time ago. I am obligated to try to make that happen.”

I'd say he's definitely going. If I recall, one reason he gave for staying after the World Cup when Leverkusen was hot to get him back was his "loyalty" to the Earthquakes and MLS for giving him a chance to play and believing in him. Basically said he'd be a jerk if he left then.

Now that he's feeling an obligation to own up to his contract and Leverkusen treating him well, I'd say he's definitely going.

23. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sounds like a win-win to me. I'm glad to hear he is coming around to playing for them. I think he is going to do well.

24. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I saw that article this morning and was going to check the NY Daily News to see if there was anything else to the story but I forgot...but here it is ...and yes, there is more to the story.

Landon states that he makes more in MLS than he would in Germany (minus payouts for CL and/or UEFA games)...that is pretty astonishing if true. I would think that is what all the negotiating is about this week. No way would I take a pay cut to go from MLS to Bayer Leverkusen! :eek:

He also says that he is not completely for going nor is he completely against going.

BTW, these quotes were given before he went to Germnay this past weekend.

25. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I assume that Donovan got a big signing bonus and a low player salary when he signed at 17.

I think it's safe to say that LD will be earning 2-5 x what he makes in MLS if he goes back.