UEFA.com: Donovan returns to Bayer

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by StillKickin, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as an aside, I thought I read somewhere awhile back that in 2005 Leverkusen becomes a Nike team. I'll see if I can find it, but I'm almost sure I read it in a press release of some kind.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    if it's true, then that's great. Landon likes Nike and Nike likes Landon, as far as I know.

but regardless of sponsorship and jersey makers, BL and MLS have a history of close relations, with Hejduk moving both directions and BL and DC United having some kind of working relationship/understanding a few seasons back (not sure if this is still in place or exactly what it was).

3. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with this, and would add one other point:

Landon's had pretty good luck with injuries (knock wood). IIRC, I don't think he's had many--if any--long term or significantly recurring injuries that keep him off the pitch.

I think some players are just unlucky with the hand their dealt health-wise--like JOB, Tony Sanneh, and even Claudio, who seem to be constantly on the mend.

4. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Yanks Abroad And USSoccerUK Report Donovan Back To Leverkusen Janurary 1st

Everything here is speculation. My point is average MLS fans aren't only MLS fans, but soccer fans. Besides, following MLS pretty much involves following the league on the web, to some degree. As I alluded to, you can't define an average MLS fan the way you would an average MLB or NBA fan. As far as translating into revenue back to MLS, that was never suggested. I would suggest players leaving also doesn't remove revenue from the league either. The revenue stream from fans is basically a wash. The only revenue involved is what MLS gets from player sales.

LD was pretty good before he got to MLS, and while MLS is certainly producing a higher quality of player, it has yet to prove it can push players to the highest level. Will it in time, most likely, but it still has a way to go in that regard.

LD's development is probably just about where it would be regardless if he spent the last 4 years in Europe or MLS. The question is, now that he has reached the point he has, which situation is going to continue to foster his development. Europe clearly provides a more consistent, higher level of competition, which, IMO will force him to continue to develop.

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

That's actually what I meant. It's particularly difficult speculation at that.

To steal a comment from myself from another topic, that may be true, but it's unhelpful. Because even if it is true it's because MLS is new and a niche sport, it does not follow that it can or should stay that way. At some point, fans will begin to judge MLS on similar terms to other leagues (though perhaps in miniature) with respect to adding and keeping some stars you're interested in seeing.

I know, but it's important for the league to think about.

I think it does, when you think of it in the economists' perspective of "foregone revenue growth." Every situation is different, but there are going to be some players who, in the long run, create as much revenue by giving the teams some history and identifiable players as they would in the form of a transfer fee (I was a bit skeptical of the McBride transfer from that perspective).

In Donovan's case, for whatever reason, being a franchise player didn't quite 'take' in SJ, which makes me more sanguine about losing him (and less sanguine about SJ). Certainly cases will roll around where players are not worth mega-millions to Europe but are treated as franchise players here (the enxt Cobi Jones). In cases where Europe offers decent but not huge money (such as the first offer for Beasley) and the player himself is dynamic, then it makes sense for the league to keep the guy and not solely because we think we can get more.

To cite an example, if a mid-tier European team/league came aorund and offered $1-1.5 million for Taylor Twellman, I'm not sure it wouldn't be a better idea to keep him. He has the potential, over time, to become a franchise player for NE, the guy people associate with that team (assuming he gets off his goal-scoring schnide). I'm not sure it's worth it to let that go, unless he wanted to go and/or told you that at his next period of free agency he was gone.

That's defeatist, though. MLS shouldn't think like that will always be the case. If they do, they'll never be better than baseball's old independant Southern League.

It's a good little league, though. And getting better. And somewhere in its goals needs to be selling fans on its own product.

6. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I think Donovan has all the talent and mental acumen to excel in germany.

His speed of play, and thought will only get better as he is exposed to similarly minded players.

being exposed to a better quality of play will force his skills to emerge...

the supposed maturity issue about not playing when he was 19, should disappear...he's NOT going to sit, simply because he's too good to sit...

at worst, bringing donovan off the bench at minute 65 would be the very least I'd expect....his injection of pace and skill can change a match....

7. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't really disagree with anything you say. I'm just looking at the economic realities as it relates to today, not what potentially may be the case in 5 or 10 years.

My view is hardly defeatest, just realistic. Just like any other sport, or league, MLS needs to be able to replace stars who move on, either from to retirement, or another league. The current MLS emphasis on signing younger players and young cheap internationals is the right way to go.

Also, I'd suggested that the key to the long term success of the league is the branding of its clubs. Creating fan loyalty to the club has a far greater return than the signing of any player. The 2 teams with the strongest most loyal fan base, DCU and the Fire, have created loyalty because of the way the front office treats its fans and its supporters groups. That why those teams continue to draw despite putting a bad team on the field.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

We're not far apart. I just think there's a bit of a balance between thinking of today and thinking of the long-run. Certainly, that balance usually favors today.

I should phrase myself, "it would be defeatest to assume it will stay that way." MLS needs to go in thinking that, over the course of a player's career if it began now, it can create revenue streams other than player sales. I'm relatively optimistic it can, over that time frame.

Agreed, as a general rule.

You know, that's a good point, too.

The one thing I worry about is a race to the middle, as we improve enuogh to obsolete the worst players, but sell off the best ones. Not that this is what was really going on this year, but there was a time when 12 goals would get you nowhere near the goal scoring title. There was a time when it took about double that. I would like to see, as the worst players get better, the best keep pace, so that goal scoring kings stay around.

9. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was joking? Square Tripled?

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of being injury-free also has to do with overall level of fitness. The more fit, the less likelihood of injury (proper hydration, flexibility, etc.)

11. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the few times he has been subbed in, for both the Quakes and the National Team, he's been almost unstoppable. So it wouldn't be a bad thing at all, at least at first.

12. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is a great point. There was an article in Business Week recently about branding, the point of which was that the great brands actually wind up with their customers acting like owners and partners, and marketing for them. A non-soccer example is Apple (this is being written on a Mac, so I know about the fierceness of such brand loyalty). And dcc134's example of United is another. Right now there is a thread on the DCU BigSoccer board about 'Pimpin for United.' It's several pages of stories about what us DC United partners are doing to bring more to the stadium tomorrow.

The trick is to build the pinache that makes the loyalists proud to identify with the brand.

Such brand loyalty can bridge the gaps created when a player such as Landon leaves. We're facing some of that next season if Ryan Nelsen heads to Europe (no, I'm not equating Ryan to Landon, be we will be hurt). But we'll still be out there bringing others into the fold, pushing the brand that is United, creating more men and women in black.

13. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Mathis and Bocanegra proved that the league doesn't have a choice. Currently they have to sell the players.

The only other option would have to be if an overseas league would be willing to loan our players back at the end of the Euro season and pick them back up when the MLS season ends. That's unlikely.

14. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    talent wise...

Donovan >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Convey

15. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    You got that right. LD by now knows the deal over there- nobody's guaranteed playing time. But if he's finally decided that he can adapt (somewhat) to the environment, he'll stand a good chance of playing regularly, though starting regularly will take some time and a lot of dedication.

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. I'm sure LD knows you can't be guaranteed playing time. Probably what he's looking for is assurances he won't be relegated to the reserves again...which is only right. Because anyone who played in a World Cup as well as he did, as well as being named Player of the Year for U.S. Soccer 2 years running (some may not account much for this, but it is an accomplishment - and Leverkusen seems to be impressed by it), who has lead a top 15 National Team in scoring and assists for 2 years running, and who recently captained said National Team in 2 World Cup Qualifiers, winning decisively, really should not have to worry about being put in the reserves.

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what's the difference between the two?If he's not on the first team,he'll play in the reserve squad,like anyone else not in MLS :) .

Actually,if he wasn't starting,he'd stay sharper playing a D3 match rather than rotting on the subs bench every weekend.

Also,I would expect him to play at least one reserve match before he got in a game and at least one or two sub appearances before he started.I would be impressed as hell to see him start the first game for Team Aspirin after the Winter break.It would be a big sign of management's thoughts of him.

18. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I hadn't thought of that. But I thought reserves was even below D3; I thought it was like D4, the lowest of the low. Now I'm confused and don't know what to think. :)

I just hope he comes back saying he's going and he's happy about it.

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could be in either one,the German reserves don't have a seperate league,as England does;they play in the regular league setup and go up or down based on performance.

Just checked Kicker,BL's reserves are leading their D4 league,and may be promoted to D3 for next year.The point is yeah,he may play some games in D4,but that won't mean he's necessarily a D4 player.

20. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC

I agree with that but, he has attitude problem...which will take him nowhere ....

21. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Disagree. The Galacticos operate this way. A couple of Italian teams operate this way. Occasionally ManU does (Saha, but even they usually don't). Just about everywhere else, if you're not seeing at least semi-regular playing time, you're not so young that you're considered all potential, and you have any transfer value at all, you're getting transferred. Most clubs even in the 'big leagues' don't feel like they can afford to just stockpile marketable talent. Even several members of the G-14 don't (and it's more of a personal opinion, but even the teams that do probably shouldn't).

If Landon could actually fetch his quoted transfer value, and I have no reason to believe he couldn't, then there are a handful of teams that would put that kind of asset in the reserve squad. Leverkusen ain't one of 'em.

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me wrong-I think they will use him,just not immediately.He'll see some reserve or sub action first,IMO.I want him to justify the move and perform at his best,but it's not a sure thing.

23. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    That I'll agree with. I just figure if the likes of Conor Casey can get some run in the Liga, then Landon Donovan surely can. If not at Bayer, then somewhere.

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Landon will play alot for Leverkusen.That is a certainty.First of all, he will be one of the best players on the team.Second, they have gone through alot to get him back.They are wining and dining him this weekend in Germany, in fact.

25. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I agree. Leverkusen has several int'ls on the team, and Landon should thrive in the atmosphere......if he gets over the past..