UEFA CL Draw

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by HardHatMike, Aug 24, 2006.

1. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Manchester United, Celtic, Benfica, and Copenhagen in the group. Good for travel, as there's no really long trips. Thoughts?

Group A: Barca, Chelsea, Werder Bremen, Levski Sofia
    Group B: Inter, Bayern, Sporting, Spartak Moscow
    Group C: Liverpool, PSV, Bordeau, Galatasaray
    Group D: Valencia, Roma, Olympiacos, Shakhtar Donetsk
    Group E: Real Madrid, Lyon, Steaua Bucuresti, Dynamo Kiev
    Group F: Man Utd, Celtic, Benfica, Copenhagen
    Group G: Arsenal, Porto, CSKA Moscow, Hamburg
    Group H: AC Milan, Lille, AEK Athens, Anderlecht

2. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  3. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who did Milan pay off for that cake walk, I wonder?

4. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We shone that we can beat sides like ManU but beating them in Europe is going to be a tough task. I am dreading a bit the draw of Beneifca which are a very good side and a side that can beat larger sides. While I don't want to over look Copenhagen I think this side should not be a problem and should be six points.

5. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Fecking riduclas they should not be in the tournament and then they get a group like that? Can you say draw fixing :(

6. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm dreading the Celtic-United game. I can't cheer against my two favorite sides. Saw both in the same week when I was 7 years old and have been a fan of both ever since. Maybe I'll cheer for a draw.

7. celtic76

celtic76 Member

Aug 30, 2001
    WI USA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm hopping we get Manu or Benfica early and then wrap up with Copenhagen. I think thats the Best case secaniro.

Celtic win Manu
    Manu loss Celtic
    Celtic win Benfica
    Benfica loss Celtic
    Celtic win FC Copen
    FC Copen win Celtic

Our main concern has to be with getting no less than three or four points on the road. I think that will decide if we advance.

8. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious ...

How soon does UEFA usually announce the dates/times of all the matches?

9. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    We couldnt do it with a competent team under MON, no danger of strachan doing it, we need to win our home games, again with telfer/caldwell/naylor et al this isnt guaranteed.

10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    FC Copenhagen (FCK) have become the 'Chelsea' of Scandinavian the past few years, now producing turnovers 3-4 times bigger than Rosenborg and Brøndby, ofcause also buying the biggest names and being Scandinavian Champions the past two years in a row. Besides the Ghana WC-06 player Pimpong and a Canadian international, then then FCK squad is now more or less a mix of Scandinavian internationals, Like Linderoth and Marcus Allbäck from the Swedish WC-06 team, Hangeland who is a regular for Norway, and several regulars from the Danish Euro-08 squad, Grønkjaer, Michael Gravgaard and Lars Jacobsen + 2nd keeper Jesper Christiansen.

Only real weakness ?... The former Norwegian international Bergdølmo in left back position and the fact that the team need some reinforcements in attack at the moment.

FCK progressed to this CL group stage by losing 1-2 at home to Ajax, but then beating the Dutch side 2-0 in the away leg in Amsterdam.

11. Scottish_Morton

Jul 7, 2003
    Irvine, Scotland
    I watched some of last night's game. Ajax looked in cruise-control expecting to win, then FCK scored and there was only going to be one winner from there. Ajax were all over the place and FCK started to play great stuff on the break.

I think Celtic and FCK will be fighting it out for the Uefa cup spot TBH.

12. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    I recognise that name, isnt that the fat keeper that couldnt get a game for rangers?

13. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I think what made the difference in the end was the much NT experience in the FCK team, since they played very clever in the 2nd half of the match, while the young Ajax players seemed a bit scared of losing the tie when FCK scored the first goal.

But if you had watched the first leg match in Copenhagen, then it was with FCK looking in cruise-control, but Ajax getting the win, so both results were rather strange, since Ajax was very lucky to win in copenhagen, just like FCK had all the luck and played very clever in Amsterdam. Still, all-in-all it was a very close race, and it was not undeserved that it was FCK progressing to the group stage.

14. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yes, but now he has actually progressed to be more consistent looking than the Danish 1st keeper Thomas Sørensen and was selected as Danish keeper of the year 2005

15. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no kidding....italian football is as interesting to me as girls' high school badminton

the bhoys will be battling benfica for the 2nd spot....some exciting stuff coming up

gunners are in a very tough group as well (maybe the toughest)

16. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No easy situation for you (it was the same feeling for me, when Celtic played Juve some years ago), mate. Would be a dream for you if both should manage to go through, I'm right? :)

I'm pleased with getting ManU (I think our fans will be top motivated to meet Liam Miller :p )...but I'm not happy with Benfica & Kopenhavn! :eek:

Definitely a tough group, but it could have been worse (look at Werder Bremen)...

Good night.

17. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If we win our home games and one away game, we'll definitely pass the group! I can't believe in this scenario, though...:rolleyes:

That's the problem. We have a lot of good offensive players, but our defence seems to be too weak for big European clashes. Can't understand why we didn't sign at least 1 top quality defender...

18. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I know they are a strong side, although they lost the central defender Svensson to my Borussia last season. Who manages to eliminate Ajax, deserves to get a lot of respect!

19. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Belive it or not, but they did not really 'lose' Svensson to Borussia last season, he was bound to move because ther was not much hope of him being more than a benchsitter at FCK, with Danish and Norwegian regulars like Gravgaard and Hangeland in central defense. I'm not saying that Svensson is a poor defender, but he was just up against some very tough competition and I must admit that the almost instant success he got at Borussia was a bit of a surprise.