UEFA Champions League Draw 2011/2012 [R]

Discussion in 'SL Benfica' started by Benfica4Life, Aug 25, 2011.

1. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    From what I have been told about them this year, they have very inconsistent. Up and down and have a difficult time against teams with speed. I think we actually fair better against them then against the defensive game of Milan. I fear Bayerns attack, but I fear even more Milan's defense.

2. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Last time we made it this far in the CL, we played Barcelona...

My prediction is we get AC Milan.

3. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    The stars align and Benfica pulls Apoel, then get the winner of Marseille and Chelsea.

4. Cliffzinho1010

Cliffzinho1010 New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Massachusetts
    we're def gettin real or barca.....chelsea would be fun...seeing some old pals

5. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Chelsea it is. I kind of like this draw. I think we have a good chance at going through. I do kind of wish we played away first but as long as we did not draw Barca or Real.

6. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Champions League - Quarterfinals!!!

S.L. Benfica vs. F.C. Chelsea!!!!

What up David Luiz and Ramires? :D

If we progress, we play the winner of AC Milan vs. Barcelona. :eek:

7. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    love it!

8. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Rui Costa

We are prepared for everything. We fear no one.

Now that is the kind of attitude I want to hear.

9. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Jorge Jesus got his wish. Chelsea is very beatable. Depends on what Chelsea team shows up though...the one that stomped on Napoli or the one we've seen the majority of the season. It will be a close match-up regardless. I also hope Barca loses to possibly see a dream match-up in Benfica-madrid...I can dream right. haha

10. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Apparently Drogba has shown Benfica no respect when he found out Benfica was Chelsea's opponent in the Quarterfinals. What a prick.

11. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    him and balotelli. can't stand either of them cocky SOB's. Balotelli showed no respect to sporting, and karma is a B****.

Hopefully you guys can do the same to drogba and chelsea.

12. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Let him and all the other clowns out there who penciled in Chelsea to play Barca think that. The reality is that Benfica is the better team and its much to Benfica's advantage for their opponent to underestimate them.

As for the clueless fans out there, they see this as an EPL team against a portuguesa team. It doesn't matter who's on the team.

13. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey guys, I've checked in from time to time...well, checking in again now.

As you are well aware of, we just came out of a series with Chelsea and you guys are up to bat against them next.

First off, LOVE Rui Costa...that is the right attitude to have...Benfica can TOTALLY beat Chelsea and shouldn't fear them. This was our error when we played them at their home...showed them too much fear and respect...we didn't stick to our game and we paid for it. Chelsea are beatable and you guys can totally do it...they are SHIT, pure SHIT and should not have passed us...we have no experience and our back line (played in 3) is a mess...you guys play 4 at the back and with the experience you have-you'll do fine.

secondly, I've lost all respect for Drogba after this series so his reaction doesn't surprise me...I hope Luisao ********ing destoys the little bitch and stomps his ********ing head in for us...

as you can imagine, on their forum they are actually happy to get you...I know I'd be shitting bricks if I got anyone from this final 8 other than APOEL and Marseille...but they seem to think this will be an easy series and are looking forward to meeting Barca in the semis...arrogant ********ing prick bastards...

I wish you the best...from a DIE HARD Napoli fan and Benfica supporter...we will be rooting you guys on...

FORZA BENFICA!!!
    FORZA NAPOLI!!!

14. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Hey, I like this guy. :D

15. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was about to say the same thing! :cool:

16. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thanks for the support! Awesome post! :D Your welcome in the Benfica forums anytime!

I saw both matches. Huge fan of Cavani and Lavezzi. Great home game in Italy. Love your attack minded formation, its different, Nice to see a change. Everyone seems to be playing a boring 4-2-3-1 nowadays in every league. Just wish you guys used 4 defenders in London, could have been a different outcome. Best of luck to you and Napoli in the Serie A!!!

As for Chelsea, the last thing they should be doing is being arrogant and underestimating opponents, they've had a horrible season! Im not going to bash their team because it was an individual (Drogba) that acted ignorantly. I respect them because they have Portuguese players and have 2 former Benfica players on their squad. Those 2 know what Benfica is capable of. David Luiz also happens to one of my favorite players.

17. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    All I know is JJ wanted Chelsea and he got what he wanted, so he better have a plan/stratedgy to beat them.

18. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    class post

19. elvesuvio

elvesuvio Member+

Feb 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    thanks for the kind words.

We did play a great home game because we attacked...this is our style of play, our ONLY style of play since we can't rely on our D. We are about 3 solid players short of being much more competitive...if you follow our club, we've accomplished great things in the last few years rising from 3rd division. We weren't even supposed to get out of our group what with Man Shitty and Bayern Munchcocken...but somehow, our attack was enough to put us through. Our coach that is bent on 3-4-2-1 (which is good at times) and is not one that is adaptable to switching to a 4 man D and this is what killed us last game...but, what's done is done...we move forward.

that was my point with Chelsea...I hope their arrogance has them ********ing choking on eagle feathers when all is said and done...Gary Neville (the commentator we heard on Canada's sportsnet) made me want to reach through my TV and rip his head off his shoulders...be prepared to be annoyed if you watch the game in english...I couldn't find a decent Italian stream but the Portuguese are good about transmitting their games internationally...I watch them frequently on Rogers/Bell or internet.

Finally, as far as the 2 ex Benfica players--one is Ramirez I think...didn't really notice him all that much in our series...and David Luiz, sorry, made some errors that were CRIMINAL...I know he's a great player and I'd still take hiim on my club any fkn day but some of those errors were exaggerated.

best of luck again guys...and cheers.

20. Omega1alpha

Omega1alpha Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Serra das putas
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah, that's one of the things I hated about the guy. He can make some HUGE mistakes at times. He seems to lose focus or gets too attack oriented and that gets him into trouble. It hurt us in a few games.

21. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Looks like DiMatteo has Chelsea playing their old style again. This game just got a lot harder but I can still see Benfica advancing due to David Luiz :D. His mistake will grant Benfica a couple of goals and that's if he's having a good game :D

22. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Chelsea are playing much better now under Di Matteo. AVB was stupid to keep bench players like John Terry, Essien and Lampard.

I would have been much happier facing a Chelsea team that was still controlled by AVB, but we can still progress as long as Benfica play "a Benfica" style.

And what about Fernando Torres scoring 2 goals this past weekend after 6-7 months without scoring?? :eek:

23. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    You guys might actually have to mark him now :eek:

24. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    :cool:
    Yeah, guess Di Matteo has motivated him for than ABV could. The talent was always there, just had noooo confidence what so ever. He would overthink situations, pass when he should shoot and shoot when he should pass. He tries to get too tricky in the box as well and that was his downfall lately. My suggestion was pair him up with Drogba so he had support. We'll see if he continues to score goals or if that was just a one time thing. Can't forget, he scored against a Championship (2nd divsion team).

IMO, Chelsea's biggest threat is Mata. But my biggest fear is Daniel Sturridge tearing Emerson apart! :(

I hope Drogba is the starting ST and Luisao shuts him out like the big boss he is!

25. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro