UEFA Champions League 2016-17 [R]

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by z0mb1e, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Centauro del Norte

FC Juárez
    Sep 15, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Now you're cherry-picking teams to your convenience... Why don't you pick Liverpool, City, and Spurs or over Sevilla or Villarreal, instead of current relegation clubs in England?. Liverpool finished 4th last year, and City the previous year, and so on... Comparison makes no sense...

2. Centauro del Norte

FC Juárez
    Sep 15, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This is merely hypothetical, there's not enough prove to sustain it... There's a lot of parameters that you are omitting... We don't know what the actual outcome would be... It's all relative and subjective...

3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    La Liga shits on the EPL I rest my case.

Dage, la fresa and Kaney repped this.
  4. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Lake County, IL AKA Southern Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Spanish sides have made UCL Semis and finals more times than English sides have made QFs over the last 5 seasons. If you add Europa League to include the next tier of teams from PL and La Liga, the difference becomes more stark in terms of titles.

Only 3 English clubs have won it. 3 Italian teams have won it. What is your point? That reflects parity within an individual league (not very well) and not comparative quality between different leagues.
    Sure. In caae you forgot, Spanish teams won it 4 out of the 5 seasons before that.

Inconsistent? Not remotely. Relative? Were comparing leagues, breh. By any measure the Premier League hasn't held up. You say La Liga Is just 3 teams. What 3 English teams have made a Final over the last 5 years? None. That's 3 less than La Liga. How about 2nd tier Europa League since you're hyperfocused on Barca, Real, and Atleti?

Seville has won Europa league multiple times breh. Spanish teams do better in Europa League than English teams also (again not Barca, Real Madrid, Atletico).

Parity is not the same thing as quality.

This really isn't that difficult.

Dage and la fresa repped this.
  5. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You're the duse who said no one besides top 3 in La Liga would make in PL... but now it's hypothetical...

You're right. How about head to head results in European competitions?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11096/10199445/la-liga-v-premier-league

This is from 92 through the end of last year but there is some info broken down by year.

There is a H2H points table in there in which more English teams have higher point totals than Spanish teams but then if you look at the number of matches played and win percentages, it favors La Liga...

I doubt anyone will make a Relegation League so until then, this is what we have.
    La Liga has been the best league for the past 5 or 6 years, before that it was PL for 5 or 6 years...

Before that it was Italy and Spain... English and Germans from mid 70s to mid 80s... not really sure why any of this bothers you...

6. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I had conceded that England had 6 teams where La Liga had three top teams. But even then, Seville has outperformed Liverpool H2H and has won 3 Europa Leagues. Spuds haven't done shit in Europe ever if I recall correctly before this season... Man City made a semi a couple years ago. In Europe, I'd take Sevilla over Spuds and Liverpool even this year. Man City is the only PL team that is a threat based on recent history...

7. Centauro del Norte

FC Juárez
    Sep 15, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Spurs just shat on Mandril... Your argument is invalid... LMFAO.

8. Centauro del Norte

FC Juárez
    Sep 15, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So Spurs overwhelming victory against Madrid doesn't count because they're not in form?. Conte's tactical victory doesn't count over Atleti either? GTFO with shit... Football is about moments... life itself about moments..

EPL clubs have done better so far than La Liga teams... Like how you make an argument La Liga is better?. You can't... ​

9. Centauro del Norte

FC Juárez
    Sep 15, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    EPL qualified 5 teams this season and they all made it out their group stages...

Villarreal failed to qualify last year, and Sevilla lost against Leicester who were almost relegated...

Sure, Madrid and Barca are 2 of the best 5 clubs right now, but La Liga ain't shit... A two horse race... Y'all keep riding on Madrid and Barca's nuts...

Now I rest my case... Case is closed...

10. Centauro del Norte

FC Juárez
    Sep 15, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    "La Liga is GOAT"

Give a team like Spurs what Madrid has spent solely since 2010, and they'll probably win the Champions League twice too..

Y'all also forgetting Madrid wasn't doing shit for over 12 years since 2002... Selective memory much?.

They didn't even made the knock out stages...

Arsenal eliminated them in 2006 with all their Galácticos...
    Liverpool made them shit in 2009...

Chelsea eliminated Guardiola's Barca, and defeated Bayern at their home ground...

What about the fiasco of 2009 when Chelsea were blatantly robbed by the ref?

11. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why don’t you give Spurs what Manure, City, and Chelsea have spent since 2010?

Once again La Liga shits on the EPL.

El_Huero, SGuerrilla and Kaney repped this.
  12. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    Panama league shits on liga mx because in one group stage Arabe Unido shit on monterrey. Makes total sense

nfiniti, El_Huero, SGuerrilla and 2 others repped this.
  13. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    Swiss league is top of the world because Basel just beat man united in the group stages. See guys I'm using logic! Listen to me!

El_Huero, jared9999, SGuerrilla and 2 others repped this.
  14. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I've made several. You chose to ignore them. You're basing your claim off a handful of results so far this season instead of the last several years of complete seasons with titles, finalists, semi-finalists... OK, I guess we will just disagree on which metrics matter.

El Pipiripau, El_Huero and sidspaceman repped this.
  15. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I like you, man. But you're being absolutely ridiculous.

La Liga has a better H2H record over the last several years.

The first two vids you posted were from the era when EPL was the dominant league. It was tops from 2005 to 2012 roughly. No one has disputed that to my knowledge. It hasn't been since 2012. It isn't even top 2 or possibly even top 3 based on UCL results since then with France and Germany arguably doing better over that span...

You may as well have poasted vids from when Liverpool beat Roma in 84 or Real Madrid in 81.

C'mon man.

sidspaceman repped this.
  16. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Granted, I realize that this has as much if not more to do with cultural reasons and/or weather but how many Boludos, Brazilians, Uruguashos, Colombians, etc. play in Spain or even Italy compared to Engerland?

I haven't crunched the numbers but I suspect more of these brehs play in Spain...

17. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Spanish league doesn’t seem as hot this season, Barcelona are running away with it and this is the least intimidating Barca side in years imo. England needs to do something in the ko stages before they can claim they are back. The prem sides do seem to be finding the group stages easy this season, which reminds me of the big four era.

I’m a Stoke fan and the bottom of the league hasn’t changed that much, the lesser sides have classier players more often, we have Shaqiri in his prime, stoke having a player that good ten years ago would have been inconceivable, so that’s different I guess. But I don’t think any team in England other than the big 6 would be fancied to get out of a UCL group.Then again Zaza looks like a superstar for Valencia and good for him, but he was awful in England.

18. SGuerrilla

SGuerrilla Member+

Sep 8, 2014
    en la cueva
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    When people in this thread or Javier Hernandez' thread brought up Vela and Gio not cutting it in England but being able to in Spain, they're getting at this. Not because they weren't good players, because the style in Spain suited their abilities more than England.

They also didn't play much.

Kaney repped this.
  19. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    64EC510D-DFBF-447D-832C-A1C803984AA3.jpeg

Best league in the world by far

SGuerrilla, Kaney and DankYummy repped this.
  20. chivamex10

chivamex10 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    your mom's house
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The English don’t find Europa league prestigious.

21. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ya I love that excuse as well.

El Pipiripau, Kaney, SGuerrilla and 2 others repped this.
  22. chivamex10

chivamex10 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    your mom's house
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Outside of Madrid I don’t go out of my way to watch La Liga games. The distribution of wealth is way too uneven.

At least with Prem league games the small clubs have a punchers chance.

Sanchito repped this.
  23. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Outside of the Colombians in the EPL i don’t watch the league since it sucks.

DankYummy repped this.
  24. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think from top to bottom, the EPL is more entertaining, but for the last 5 years or so, La Liga is considerably better than any other league in the world. EPL wouldn't even be the 2nd best team over that span...

One thing La Liga and Serie A need to fix ASAP is their TV production. Its far behind PL and Bundesliga...

25. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Speaking of Colombians, was James concussed?