UEFA Best Player/FIFA Best/Ballon'Dor

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Slowpokeking, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Roord being a nominee as a forward is particularly peculiar to me.

2. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    Like I said in the original post, when I saved it from the site it inverted all the positions, so what you're reading left to right is actually right to left. I don't know why it did that when I downloaded it but it did. I tried to keep it as position accurate as I could. But I take your point about Eriksson and I agree, I could move her to the middle, it's probably better.

Ethan Frank repped this.
  3. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Yikes, that's all on me. Apologies. I would indeed still have Paredes at right CB, but I think you've done fine.

4. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Thedexeter, I can relate.

Attached Files:

sbahnhof, L'orange and thedexeter repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #30 hotjam2, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    A bit unfair to not include any Americans, especially showing their might after they simply crushed the Dutch/Euro champs last week as well as winning 3 straight at the SBC. If you had to pick based on performances, all ten USWNT players looked better then ten Dutch starters, as that’s how one sided the game was. At least Julie Ertz made should of been on it, she keeps proving that she’s without an doubt the best DM in the world. Looking at this list; 5 Lyon picks even though they had very very close encounters in their last 3 games with PSG(zero listed players) which went a tie in regulation time(which Lyon in PK’s, a 1-0 win after PSG was reduced to ten players & the most recent loss where they only got 2 shots off. Lyon won NT one goal over Bayern Munich(in the CL quarters) an more easier 3-1 win over Wolfsburg in the finals, but that’s due cause that club usually gambles with its FB’s too far up
    That FIFA is based in France which is the only country to get 2 players listed is also suspicious.

6. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Have the French annexed Zürich?:eek::eek:

7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    it has a very strong affiliation; was founded in France & FIFA’s initials are French words.

but getting away from geography what about more importantly; missing US players & Lyon dominating 5 of the top 10) even though they struggled to win the CL

and then apparently the secret of getting on the coaches list; just get your rich boss to buy a stacked team

8. Folken

Folken Member

PSG
    France
    Nov 29, 2019
    #33 Folken, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    In another 10 years nobody will care how difficult OL won. Does it really matter? THEY WON. That what people will remember.

Would the Olympics, the World Cup or a full NWSL season been taken place on this year, FIFA's ranking would've been different though.

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I swear that I can't really keep up with all of the awards existing in football right now and with their names, that use to be aptly different from what they used to be in the past. :x3:

So I have to ask: is the FIFPro World 11 somehow related to FIFA Player of the Year or are they different things? Does anything exist yet that's called "Ballon d'Or" or is anyway the legitimate heir of Ballon d'Or?

Sorry but I am confused and I am not sure if this is the correct thread to discuss FIFAPro World 11.

10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Fifpro best XI is voted by the players under the players association.
    The Ballon d'or that does not get given this year due to the pandemic is organised by France Football and voted by journos only.
    The FIFA Best player is voted by players, coaches, journos and fans.
    And it is the right place here.

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, ok. I actually wasn't intentioned to comment the whole selection (here), I only wanted to point out that Barbara Bonansea said that she was surprised to be voted into FIFApro11, and I have to say that I am mildly surprised too. :p

Not that I don't think she's a very good player and deserving the honour, but I both think that she's still slightly missing the target of actually been top 11 in the World and that anyway this season 2019-2020 wasn't her best so far (probably 2018-2019 was better), to the point that she wasn't even mentioned in the Guardian top 100: as questionable as that list can be (and it sure is!), it's quite odd that a player that's been voted as one of the top 11 by the other players can't find a place in a selection of 100!

I figure that maybe it was kind of a general recognition of the Italian NT's achievements (Bonansea is probably the most well-known Italian name, even among the players) and a late reward to her effort in the WWC year. I anyway hope that she can keep up at this level. :)

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Guardian is voted from a pre-select list that did not include Bouhaddi this year, so judges are not free to choose.

blissett repped this.
  13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    And the Women Ballon d'Or is back with the usual controversy.

The 20 players nominated and of course they forgot a few names from Barcelona.

Kadidiatou Diani (FRA/PSG)
    Fran Kirby (ANG/Chelsea)
    Jennifer Hermoso (ESP/FC Barcelone)
    Christiane Endler (CHL/PSG, OL)
    Christine Sinclair (CAN/Thorns FC)
    Ashley Lawrence (CAN/PSG)
    Irene Paredes (ESP/PSG, FC Barcelone)
    Jessie Fleming (CAN/Chelsea)
    Lieke Martens (HOL/FC Barcelone)
    Sandra Panos (ESP/FC Barcelone)
    Viviane Miedema (HOL/Arsenal)
    Ellen White (ANG/Manchester City)
    Pernille Harder (DAN/Chelsea)
    Samantha Mewis (CAN/North Carolina Courage)
    Wendie Renard (FRA/OL)
    Marie-Antoinette Katoto (FRA/PSG)
    Stina Blackstenius (DAN/Häcken)
    Magdalena Eriksson (SUE/Chelsea)
    Sam Kerr (AUS/Chelsea)
    Alexia Putellas (ESP/FC Barcelone)

The voting rules:

[​IMG]

sbahnhof repped this.
  14. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    They sure did. :laugh:

How Caro Hansen is not on that list is beyond me. The most bizarre omission in the short history of the award.

law10, flax, Lohmann and 3 others repped this.
  15. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    I know we may all look alike to southerners but Stina have never and will never play for Denmark. ;)

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  16. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #41 Lechus7, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Eriksson over Glas :confused: Fleming over Banda:rolleyes: Kirby over Graham-Hansen o_O
    Mewis over Asllani :giggle: Harder over Kumagai :laugh:

... also no love for current Bundesliga players.... and no Oshoala :speechless:

L'orange and Lohmann repped this.
  17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    If you take the three main parameters into consideration, it looks to me like Sinclair should get it. Captain and starter on the Olympic gold team, great talent combined with humility, and greatest international goal scorer of all time (men and women).

18. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Isn't the Ballon d'Or an annual best player award? To my knowledge it's not been a a career-achievement award, which is what it would have to be, if we're candid, to justify giving it to Sinclair.

19. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Another organization that's been around over a 100 years comes to mind - the NHL. They award an MVP award, another for sportsmanship, and another for lifetime achievement.

To merge them into one is an equal combination of madness and foolery.

20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It only goes to the 3rd parameter only if the voters cannot decide after parameters one and day. If the voters follow the regulations though.