UEFA Best Player/FIFA Best/Ballon'Dor

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Slowpokeking, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Who will win this year?

Since all the USWNT are playing in the US so they cannot be nominated for UEFA Best Player, I guess Lucy Bronze will win it since she is the Champion League winner and Silver Ball of the World Cup, hope Asllani will get into top 3.

Rapinoe probably is the top choice for FIFA Best/Ballon'Dor but the other players like Morgan and Lavelle might split the votes. Since there are 25% fan's vote in FIFA Best, I guess Morgan also gets the chance to win it.

blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Given how clueless the panels have been through these years, I totally expect another Marta's top 3 in the FIFA award, based on name-recognition only! :laugh:

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Ballon d'or shortlist is done by the France Football experts.

FIFA the best

The ten-woman shortlist for The Best FIFA Women’s Player 2019 award will be compiled by a panel of experts representing all of FIFA’s confederations and revealed in late July. From that shortlist, key members of the women’s footballing community - namely journalists, fans, national team coaches and captains - will vote for the winner, with the final three nominees to be announced at a later date.

Full rules are there

4. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    That'd be putting quite a bit of weight on the World Cup, but that often is how these awards work.

5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Rapinoe is not even close to the best player these days. But these lists can't be taken seriously.

6. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    In a World Cup year, the weight of the tournament outweight everything else, rightly or wrongly.

7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Dahlkemper over Miedema? lol, but at least they show recognition for an CB, a very unappreciated position on most other polls Ive seen & extra points for lowering Marta to 19th

on the negative; 6 out of the top 11 for Lyon/the usual anti German bias as Marozsan is nowhere near the best, but the only one from her country in this poll/no Swedes, despite placing 3rd in the WC(yet 4 French players in the top 18)/Rose Lavelle(#23) should be headed towards top ten territory/Caro Hansen(#13) top 5/& no GK's

8. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, no GKs can depend on the fact that, as we often discussed on a thread here on BigSoccer, there are few really oustanding GKs in the women's football these days. Ok, based on the World Cup tournament, i could put Van Veenendaal up there, but we also could actually join her?

9. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    yea, that is funny. Miedema and Kerr are the two best players in the world right now, IMO. Hegerberg is excellent, of course--but then she's playing with an all-star cast around her that nobody else really has. I want to see how Kerr fares in matches where the opponent is sitting back--parking the bus. She doesn't see much of that. In any case, I called it--she's signed with Chelsea. It's a good team for her, yes?

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    watched a bit of the Australia vs Chile game yesterday. obviously is best when she's got the open field. Here's an highlight of her
    Sam Kerr hits the crossbar against Chile

but then, Chile clammed down/went into a bunker & Kerr didn't look that confident, often back heeling to a team mate when she got the ball inside the crowded PK area

It's the right league for Kerr, but it's hard to say with Chelsea, coach Emma Hayes prefers the compact game(as stated, it's not Kerr's best suite) but Bachmann, Ji & Kirby, do have those extra nice, dribbling penetration moves that will at least not make Kerr the focal point of opposing defenses

not sure if I can give Miedema this much credit(best player in the world) will never understand why Wiegmann winced & turned her into an AM in the WC final

11. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Probably saw something in USWNT to try to exploit it. Miedema had a chance to score but she was overwhelmed by 3 defenders.

12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I actually think Miedema is a better all-around forward/striker than Kerr. She is an excellent passer and often does come out for both club and country to set up streaking teammates with through balls. She was an attacking mid in her earlier years. I too hated Wiegman's dramatic change of formation and pulling the whole team back into more of a defensive mode against the U.S.A. That is not at all the Dutch style, and changing your style for one match almost never works for anybody. I doubt we see her do it again--although I will say that it came fairly close to working.

13. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    True, true. The thing is a number of people, myself included, don't think Rapinoe had that phenomenal of a World Cup.

14. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I'm glad Rose Lavelle wasn't that high; her Spirit form/lack of play wouldn't have warranted such a placing. I'm confused about why Horan placed that high, but oh well.

15. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    You bet it came fairly close to working. The US wasn't doing anything in that second half until van der Gragt had a moment to forget, and then, she and Dekker chose to pull a Cahill and backed off Lavelle until she had a free shot. (Note: I liked Cahill and his massive blocks, but he really had a tendency to back off too much.)

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I know a few people who have the same opinion. The voting process is not easy to be honest. It so subjective.

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    if it's Miedema vs Sam Kerr, Miedema might be better all around, but she's had some problems on the world stage. Remember, she's been the Dutch NT's leading scorer since she was 17(since 2014) but couldn't score at the 2015 WC, only 3 goals in 7 games at the 2019 WC(and officially zero assists). She was the 2nd leading in Bundeslega, but then only managed 4 goals her first year for Arsenal(of course was on top by next year with 22).

Sam Kerr(as you might know) hasn't had that problem, she's flown to the top for whoever she plays; 3 time straight NWSL & W-League scoring champion as well as she seemingly carries the entire Aussie NT upon her shoulders

Miedema is about 3 years young & can boast playing on teams that done significantly better, but that can be attributed to having way better team mates than Kerr had on some of her squads(Sky Blue, anyone, lol)
    Wiegman won the Euro 2017 with an vrry attacking minded, 4-3-3 with probably the strongest frontline in the world, van de Sanden, Miedema & Martens(which I personally prefer over Heath, Morgan & Pinoe), but by the WC final, Martens had a broken toe, van de Sanden lost favor with Wiegman, who decided to go with the underwhelming 4-2-3-1, make Miedema the #10(though she had no assists to her credit) & put just an slightly above average striker up front(Beerensteyn) see chart below
    United States vs. Netherlands - 7 July 2019 - Women Soccerway

the only way an 4-2-3-1 works, if the FB's work themselves up to the attack(as the outside mids have to much to do, especially Martens with her broken toe), and to be fair one of them, van Lunterin,had a great game. But in the end, just seemed a cop out by Wiegman, knowing, ftom head to toe, she couldn't compete with the USWNT/or at least, was hoping with 2 DM's, she could control more of the game(which of course, didn't happen)

18. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    At club level, she’s had great numbers, but she didn’t have a great World Cup either in my opinion. Her goals bar a missed PK rebound came against a team that had already conceded two hat tricks.

Sure, Sky Blue wasn’t great, but Corboz and O’Hara were both important to Kerr’s goal totals in my opinion.

Honestly, I think Kerr and Miedema are both a tad over praised, but Kerr has had her Australian WNT struggles and hasn’t really been better internationally than Miedema.

19. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    FIFA the Best 2020 voting is open.

20. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    blissett repped this.
  21. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I did not do a proper one because they got midfielder as forward, forward as midfielder and so on. Really annoying and they did not have a 3-4-1-2 system either ...

23. thedexeter

thedexeter Member

Washington Spirit
    United States
    Jul 6, 2015
    Yeah, the options were really frustrating because of the positions they were placed in. And for some reason the image got reversed when I saved it from their site; so everything that reads from left to right should be right to left lol. I went for...

e5407d32_1132_en.jpeg

24. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    A bit nitpicky, but I'd have switched Majri and Magull. (Not sure if you didn't care about the positioning or your intention was to have inverted wide midfielders/wingbacks.) I'd have put Leon in the middle or Leon at left CB and Eriksson in the middle just to get the right footed Paredes at right CB.