Uefa attacking "Divers"?

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Briosa a frente, Nov 4, 2004.

1. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    Sure we dive... there's no other way around it... But I don't see it as cheating just trying to gain an advantage. But also if caught diving then the play doesn't stop, so what's the problem?

2. Rui Costa

Rui Costa New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Why is diving considered cheating anyway?.I mean all players elbow each other off the ball and tug shirts at corners but when someone dives there needs to be a big condemnation like its a disgrace to our angelic saintly sport.I've always found it an artform in itself and quite funny, although less funny when the opposing team dives ;)

3. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    To begin with the reason I started this thread was not because diving is a big problem in "Superliga" and by extention "Portugal". The reason I started this Thread was to inform the Members that "UEFA" was looking at ways to try and curtail the diving that goes on in all of European Futebol.
    Interestring to note that "Uefa" came out with this after Rooney "English Player" performed his spectular Dive against a Portuguese Coached team.

THere are some Questions that need to be clarified.
    Do players Dive to try and gain an advantage. "yes in all european leagues"
    Do players grab opponents Jerseys? "yes in all European Leagues"
    Do players tackle from behing? "Yes in all European Leagues"
    Do players perform Hard dangerous tackles? "Yes in all European leagues"
    Do players use elbow, hands, knees, hips, chests, backs, to try and get an create an advantage over their opponents? "yes in all leagues"

Having said that there is in place rules to combat all of these occurences on the field. IF the ref fail to follow them then that is another problem. If you had read the beginning of the thread you would of realised that what the Uefa is contemplating is an after the game review to see if the player should be penalized for the perceived infraction.

4. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I don't mind diving in the game, it's the pretending to be injured bit that I can't stand. Everyone dives in today's game, not just in the Superliga.

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

6. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Take him off the list Frank. He's been doing nothing but crap on our league for days now.

7. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I said to myself I wasn't going to respong to this gentlemen anymore, but......

Here is a guy in his posts that writes he knows this player has a friend playing here etc....Obviously by his own accord he should be an astout fan of soccer. But yet somethings that he write are such nonsense that I am starting to believe his is totally clueless.

As stated above he believes Ronaldo learned to dive in the Superliga. Since Ronaldo was brought up through the Sporting youth system (Which is regarded as one of the best in the World along with Ajax and Milan) he was not "trained" and he did not "learn" during his time in the Superliga. Since his ability to dribble and fake out opponents with the ball are so dominant he tends to get fouled an awful lot. Though he has taken some "soft" fouls he is in no way a "diver" You would have had more credibility had you written that Deco was a diver.

And by the way where did Rooney learn how to dive then, since he did not play in the Superliga.

So give it a rest, as stated by numerous posters while diving is a problem it is no more evident in the Superliga than in any other league. As for flow of the games. The Italian Serie A averages more fouls per game than the Portuguese SuperLiga. So please go over to their boards and do what you are good at:

a. Name dropping
    b. Making ridiculous assumptions
    c. In general writing jibberish for the sake of posting.

By the way which team does your "friend" play for in the Superliga?

And how do you view Superliga games in Texas? (Just wondering because I have friends in Houston)

Did you ever play? In the English First Division. If so which team? Not that I care, but I am a bit intrigued that a man of your age seems on the surface to have no common sense.

8. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Someone should inform Arsen Wenger he is now Portuguese...might be a bit of a shock to him...

9. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    England66 you are right, I appoligise for that mistake.

However I did notice that of all the comments i made in my post. You chose to respond only to the obvious mistake. Maybe that was because every thing else that was written is undisputable and therefore would destrroy your accusations of Superliga Futebol as far as the reason UEFA is coming out with the "Diver Review"

10. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Again people. There is no need for any of this.

England66 has been posting here for a while. He is not a troll. I don't know why some folks on this board get so defensive when anyone criticizes Portuguese soccer!

There's a reason the Portuguese have developed a reputation for diving. That's all I'm saying.

Please people, stop with the personal attacks. I'm not going to go into who did and didn't say what. Just stop. Everyone.

11. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)

12. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

13. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree we all here get a bit defensive, but it is because we are so passionate:D

Plus, it is one thing to take barbs from your own, its another thing to hear them from a "visitor"

Peace....

14. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Where to start.......Rooney has "taken a dive" on one occasion and it is all you can talk about...if he continues to dive I will be the first to be critical of him. I don't think you will ever see him dive again....

My friend plays for academica de coimbra.....

yes I played...and coached...against Pele, Bobby Moore, Neeskens, Carlos Alberto, George Best and others and also 6 times for the national team...I played against poland, germany, and belgium in 1973...who am I ?

I am a big fan of the global game....and love portuguese football...I hate diving and cheating at any level and especially dislike the rolling around and faking injury that is seen all the time in the south american game....portuguese football will be better off, attendances will rise and the national team will be better served if the divers are eliminated....I am not now nor have been critical of the super liga...just the "divers" in the super liga...

15. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    anyway... it's not like it's the Portuguese players that dive... if you look at all the players who dive the most you'll see that they're almost all Brazilian. There was Deco, Liedson, Derlei, Carlos Alberto and Diego which come to mind when I think of Divers. But Portuguese player?? Which ones dive? Figo and Ronaldo...

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    I just watched the Man U-Newcastle U game and thse are two comments...word for word...made by the announcers...

1)..."Ronaldo goes to the floor just a little bit too easily for me"....

2) As he was being subbed late in the game..." The fans who are booing him are upset with his diving around today"

17. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    What are u trying to prove? we all said they dive.. that's nice..

18. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So I am clear, what you are saying now is that diving is a problem in the EPL...Right?:D

19. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Diving exists everywhere in the game. Let's leave it at that.

20. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

only for portuguese players....Rooney didn't dive at all in this game and probably won't again all season....Ronaldo does it every week....thats why he gets booed...

21. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    you don't let go
    :confused:

go somewhere else, before you going to have a riot in here

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

I'll finish with this....Ronaldo won't be a diver by the end of this season.........he will be made to realise it just won't work for him in the EPL....

I'm out of this thread

' bye......

23. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    IMO. humble as it might be there is a big difference between diving and going to ground to easily. (Althought the English can't appreciate this). Diving is went you attempt to get a ghost foul indicated by the ref. example Rooney or Keane (in the following game) going down when they are not touched and getting the call from the ref.
    Going down to easily, if what Ronaldo does, when he feels the bump he sometimes goes down hoping for the call, majority of the time he does not get it.
    In my opinion the first is worst than the later, since the first is outright cheating, and underhanded.

However I do not believe that cheating is a nationality trait.
    In the Portuguese game we prefer the finesse game, we prefer the players ability with the ball to shine through.
    In the English game the preference is for the more physical game where intentional fouls and some might say the intent to injure fouls are acceptable.
    I in no way am in favour of or against a perticular style. I have my preferences. that is why i follow the Superliga. but I also watch other World Leagues.

24. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Briosa is always the voice of reason, I echo your comments. Well said!