Uefa attacking "Divers"?

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Briosa a frente, Nov 4, 2004.

1. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    don't confuse England with "the Brits" as there is no British team...It is only the blind who cannot see....I watched the Porto - Celtic game and Porto players were diving all over the place....That is my opinion.....

2. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Since your opinion means nothing here, be gone.....

By the way....why no comment on the Rooney dive? Did you not "see" that one or were YOU "blind"

And I am sorry I didn't know the difference between a Brit and being English. I am not to cultured in the ways of the Islands.

3. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

the Rooney thing was an isolated incident nad no I wasn't blind.

All English people are British but not all British people are English....

Don't you find it strange that this board "EUFA attacking divers" showed up in the portuguese thread...?

maybe it wasn't an accident...

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

the Rooney thing was an isolated incident and no I wasn't blind.

All English people are British but not all British people are English....

Don't you find it strange that this board "EUFA attacking divers" showed up in the portuguese thread...?

maybe it wasn't an accident...

5. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maybe not, but your existence here surely is......

6. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am sure it wasn't.....Someone wanted to point out that UEFA was trying to eliminate this from the game, since it is happening EVERYWHERE!

7. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Enough already, you have proved your point. English Football is the best, and there is no diving, time wasting or faking injuries. All English Footballers are classy and distinguished.

NOT......

8. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

my..my...my...we are soooo sensitive....must be the latin blood....

there is little flow to most super liga games, constant whistles,feigning injury and yes...diving....certainly the technical level of the players is very high...but the games themselves are not that satisfying...for the most part it is not in the nature of the English to cheat...can the same be said of a lot of players in the super liga ?

again...there is a good reason this topic cropped up in the "Portugal thread"...it belongs here...

9. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Of course, how rude of us to suggest that any English player would cheat! I guess Rooney isn't English. It's amazing to me that you're spending so much time in here bitching about "our" diving. Shouldn't you be spending time writing about the sad state of your hooligan crowds or your National Team? This thread might belong here, but you don't. Now, be a good chap and crawl back to your "All Mighty English" thread.

10. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Please don't post anymore you are embarassing yourself here.

Obviuosly you don't recall the 66 World Cup. Since I mentioned it in a previuos post, England won the World Cup by Cheating. Check the video of the Portugal v England Semifinal. Also read the history on where that semifinal was played and where it should have been played. It was moved from the original spot and Portugal was forced to travel instead of the other way around.

And since you bring up the EPL, when was the last Premier league team that won the Champions League. (1999) And if the superliga is full of divers why are all the Premier League teams looking at the talent that plays there? Why did Chelsea hire a Portuguese Coach? Why did Man U buy Ronaldo? Why did Pedro Mendes got to Spurs? Come on do a bit of research and then throw barbs.

Cheaters? The EPL is full of them, just like every other league. There are always players that try to take an unfair advantage.

As for this thread being here, Like I explained in my previous posts....

One of our posters read the article that UEFA was looking into penalizing players for this act. It has nothing to do with whether in happens more or less in the Superliga.

Since you are a moron, you probably wouldn't or couldn't grasp that since you are probably drunk most of the day.

Now, why don't you go stampede some fellow fans and throw some chairs.

Wasn't it enough the way your fellow country men embarassed themselves during EURO 2004 in the Algarve.

What a way to vacation, throwing beer bottles at Police.

Way to go Mate!

11. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

1) I don't need to read the history of 1966 as I was there. I watched portugal kick the s--t out of Pele at Goodison Park with my own eyes. They were a disgrace and England beat them fair and square with two goals by Bobby Charlton. Tony Simoes is a friend and former team-mate and told me England deserved to win the game...he should know...he played in it. (To be fair I was also present when portugal were brilliant in coming from 0-3 down against N.Korea to win 5-3 thanks to Eusebio, probably the greatest game I ever witnessed ) I watched all the group games at Goodison in 1966.

2) You should rather ask "why do so many portuguese want to play in England" you may have noticed that Ronaldo isn't getting many calls these days as he "goes to ground too easily" ( dives) believe me Man U will beat that crap out of him...and make him a better player....

3) Look at all the exposure Rooney's "dive" in the arsenal game got...it got a lot of attention because it is not acceptable in England...had it happened in portugal it would have been one of about 50 dives from that week-ends games and as such been ignored.

instead of the personal attacks you really should try and stick to a proper debate

12. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Good job contradicting yourself, that first bolded line isn't an insult?

13. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

First of all, I don't need your resume as I am not impressed. Name dropping as well does nothing for me.

I know may pros as well, but since they are personal friends there is no need to name drop. I wasn't fortunate enough to watch the games live, but I know full well watch actually happened in 66. You also cleverly left out the change of venue fact that I wrote. Portugal had to travel by train for that semifinal with England. England should have been the team to travel but the committee saw to it that the host nation would get the extra days rest.

Ask Mr. Simoes about that. As to his statement, he is a classy guy and a true champion so what good would it do to cry about it 38 yrs later.

As for your all "Portuguese Players want to go to England statement". The only reason is for a big Pay Day. Most would choose Spain or Italy if given the same salary. As more than one player has stated that those competitions are better.

In closing when a debate is one sided is it really a debate? You haven't backed up any comments with facts, and your posts are filled with ad-hominem statements.

When you point out that there are 50 dives a week in the Superliga with out doing a bit of research,that is just ridiculous.

I mean a man of your age should be brighter that that:D

14. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

I believe the change of venue ( wasn't it supposed to be Goodison park or old Trafford ?) actually hindered England and helped portugal. As you know the crowd at nearly all EPL games is very close to the action...much closer than at Wembly which had a ruuning track around the pitch. The atmosphere, obviously very pro England would have helped England play a much more high tempo game which suited them better....The other consideration was stadium capacity as even in the days before all EPL stadiums were all-seater Wembly could hold 100,000 as opposed to 60-70 thousand at the other two venues....

You are right about "Tony" however he told me his feelings about the game in 1979 only thirteen years after the fact....

the line about the "50 dives a weekend" was obviously tongue in cheek....

even I know it's closer to 40......

15. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Since you insist here goes:

England played every game at Wembley Stadium, the only team in World Cup history to do this. (Distinct Advantage)

And since you bring up Cheating, here is a article about that famous winning goal that gave England the World Cup.

England, shrewdly managed by Alf (later Sir Alf) Ramsey, beat West Germany 4-2 after extra time in a thrilling final at Wembley, when Geoff Hurst made history with a hat-trick, including the most controversial goal ever scored. Did the ball really cross the line after bouncing down from the crossbar? The debate still rages.

Well.......care to go another round?

16. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    I don't get it. The English game is so much better and your lads don't cheat like those dirty Portuguese players. You guys won the World Cup almost 50 years ago, you are obviously the Gods of Football. What I don't understand is why do you watch Superliga games if there's no flow and so much diving? Surely you must have better things to do.

17. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

I have a friend who plays in it....

18. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Other than the fact England won the WC that year I still believe the national team is better off playing big games at major club venues, for the reasons I've already stated...

yes poor decision by a linesman...didn't look over the line to me..however the score was 4-2...not 3-2...who knows what would have happened had the linesman not given it ?

19. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I know Eusebio, he was once my guest at the Ironbound Boys and Girls Club in Newark, when I was the President in the 80's

also a nice guy, I also met the whole Portuguese veterans team when they were invited by the Coutinho Foundation to play in the Portuguese day :)

20. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    going back to the title we don't have to worry we don't do any diving, we are good swimmers :cool:

21. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We obviously have a troll here. It's really pointless and useless to argue with someone so biased and narrowminded. The Superliga stinks according to england66@sbcglobal. but yet he claims to have watched it and counted the number of dives each week? Come on now. That's ridiculous and he even knows it I bet.

England in 1966 was the most undeserving winner of the World Cup ever. Even some passionate England football fans I know admit to this.

22. deco_#10

deco_#10 Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Montreal
    I have noticed something very wierd... The English take real pride in the fact that they don't dive... But it's much better to have a bunch of gorillas on the field... why don't u just watch rugby? Also if Portuguese Football sucks so much how come the EPL teams keeps getting our players? Also if you guys can see that our players are diving then so can the ref and he won't call it.

Also I see diving just like tugging on the shirt if the ref sees it he'll stop the play, the same way some players might dive in order to get a call.

I still don't see why diving is such an issue... hell, if english people think it's cheating they can do it themselves...

Oh and please don't get me started on the Celtic game... They should have had at least 1 red card if not 2. I still remember that huge tackle by bobo balde on Carvalho.

No matter how much you guys bitch and moan about diving we'll still do and if you don't like you can keep complaining and no on will give a rats ass.

23. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Frank you are the best...always the voice of reason in a crazy world....I am NOT anti portuguese in any way, shape or form and have tried to keep this discussion going in the right direction....however...

There is a reason Ronaldo is booed every time he touches the ball in EPL games that are not at Old Trafford....and the reason is he is percieved as a cheat, a player who goes to ground too easily, a diver. I believe playing in the EPL for Man U will cure him of this ....and make him a much better player for the national team. If Wayne Rooney makes a HABIT of "diving" the away fans will treat him exactly the same way, as they will ANY PLAYER REGARDLESS OF NATIONALITY....I believe Ronaldo learned to "dive" during his time in the super liga....I also believe he will un-learn to "dive" in the EPL...and this will only be good for portuguese football....

24. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Perfect...you just made the point i have been trying to make this entire thread....YOU JUST ADMITTED THAT PLAYERS DIVE IN PORTUGAL....and that is the reason for this thread...and the reason it showed up in the "portugal" boards...

25. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas