UCONN vs. BC [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by ctsoccer13, Sep 25, 2003.

1. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a pretty game for either side. Lots of missed passes and little scoring opportunities. The goal came with 12 seconds left off a deflection of a shot by Rota. Without the deflection it should have been an easy save. I couldn't clearly see the keeper through the mess of bodies in the box, but it looked like he was leaning way to his left to get a better view around someone and the ball deflected and squibbed to the right corner. Weak goal, but a goal nonetheless and a notch in the Win column.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/MSoccer/2003/09/24/20030924.html

2. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    How has Cuellar been playing? I watched a few of the big east games last year and he was impressive.
    I havent really had a chance to follow UCONN this year so far, but plan to do so.

IS Cuellar MLS material? I am asking b/c I didnt think Damani Ralph was whe I saw him play last year.. He was good, but I would have never imagined....

shows what scouting talent I have..

3. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    pretty good

I saw him play twice last year against Maryland. I think he is very good technically, excellent touch, good passer, big and a natural finisher. The down side is that his workrate is low, he appears slow and doesn't beat many people off the dribble. Probably the most distrubing thing about his future is that he seemed to play his best soccer as a Freshman and may have actually regressed over the past two plus years. Again I've seen him play maybe a total of 3-4 times over the last three years so I could wrong. I'll will see him again along with a TV (Comcast) audience on October 12th playing UMD and maybe we'll all have a better judgement after that. Perhaps others can share more.

Regarding Damini Ralph I'll use DCU coach Ray Hudson's quote "a blind man on a galloping horse could see his talent" so I don't think you'll get too many offers for your scouting skills. That said he he wasn't drafted until the second round but that was primarily due to his future SI status and an immediate full roster spot as a four year college player.

4. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as Cuellar goes. Nail. Head. You just hit it. The knock on him has always been his speed, work ethic and ABSOLUTE lack of a right foot. He is a pre-season All-American this year and the way he's been playing, I'd be mildly surprised if he didn't even make All-Conference. Watching him yell at his teammates is particularly frustrating. The upside, he's got a rocket of a left and when he gets it off, it's incredibly dangerous. But I can't even stress how badly he favors his left. He still attracts a ton of attention defensively but he's been largely ineffective as a finisher this year (so far). He's been trying to post up against defenders this year and because of that lack of speed and he can't make that turn. It's something that UCONN is missing. Someone to get the ball and hold onto it up front until the supporting midfield gets there. I hope he turns it around. Is he MLS material? IMHO I would say he doesn't stand a chance. In regards to Damani, his speed was the big standout in college and he too had a knack for scoring. The fact that you could control it at the speed made him a standout. I couldn't be happier for him. I hope he stays in the MLS because I've read that he absolutely would love to go to England with some friends of his. Lately I've heard he's thinking about citizenship here and trying to earn a spot on our Nats team. That would be nice.

5. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I know it was hit upon earlier in the US Mens forum, but even though he has been in the Us for his college career (4 years) and now a 5th year playing in the MLS, doesnt that take care of one of the requirements for gaining citizenship?

The other though, (I was under the impression) would take a few more years.... ?

6. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the requirements. I think it was from the same thread that I saw he was interested. I know he's upset that he hasn't been called up to the Jamaican team. Somewhere I read an interview with him. I'm pretty sure it was Big Soccer and he said something to the effect that now he's proven he can score that he should get a chance and that if he feels he's not getting it then he'll look to the U.S.

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot to tape the game tonight, was subbuteo night.

Anyway, Cuellar looks slow, his touch doesn't impress me and I doubt he could play in MLS. D3 seems about right, but I think he is lazy and that won't do.

Maybe I caught him on a bad night against Indiana, but they stole his 2nd touch all night long.

8. Giancarlo

Giancarlo New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Panama
    How has Rota been playing. Last year he seemed more an assist guy from his stats, but this year it seems he is scoring, what little they have scored. Will his size limit his future in the sport after college

9. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rota's trying his best. They are having a tough time in the midfield with their lack of size. The two goals I saw from him were off deflections, but at least he's putting the shots on net.