UConn 2006 Thread [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by UConnRadioKid, Aug 26, 2006.

1. UConnRadioKid

UConnRadioKid New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Hartford, CT, USA
    "STORRS, Conn. (August 24, 2006) - The University of Connecticut men's soccer team opens the regular season this weekend with a 7:00 p.m. game against Loyola Marymount Saturday at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. The back-to-back BIG EAST Champion Huskies are ranked No. 2 in the nation heading into the season after going 0-0-3 in exhibition action over the last two weeks."

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/AllStories/MSoccer/2006/08/24/20060824.html

Game Notes (pdf)

2. UConnRadioKid

UConnRadioKid New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Hartford, CT, USA
    Well, that was not the start most expected.

"STORRS, Conn. (August 26, 2006) - Despite an offensive flurry of activity in the second half, the second-ranked University of Connecticut men's soccer team fell to Loyola Marymount, 1-0, Saturday night at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium in front of 5,489 raucous fans. As the season opener for both teams, the win gave the Lions a 1-0-0 start to the year, while the Huskies start in the hole at 0-1-0."

Game Story
    Box Score

3. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not what you would expect from a team with great expectations and a #12 team coming into town on the 1st.

4. NorthGoalGang

NorthGoalGang Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Coventry, CT
    Does it seem like every season under Ray Reid starts this way? Can't score goals, lose to teams we shouldn't lose to, etc?

5. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    To me this tends to prove at least one thing-- Loyola-Marymount and the West region in general got jobbed last year when they (and similar quality teams) were left out of the Tournament while the likes of Providence, Brown and Dartmouth received spots.

6. twelfth man

twelfth man New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Connecticut
    How did CT play in this match?

7. Hagbard Celine

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    Second hand reports from my brother indicate they didn't play very well at all. I think "terrible, terrible" were his exact words.

It will be interesting to see how they respond on Friday against Indiana.

8. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005

Yeah they got robbed by following up the UCONN win with a loss to Central Ct. I am sure the referee had west coast bias.

9. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    End of season rankings:

soccerratings.com

Providence did not deserve to get a spot over Washington, LMU, San Diego and Oregon State.

10. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Soccer ratings has nothing to do with anything remotely close to the RPI. The RPI awards ties and Providence had tons of them. Check the RPI and you will see Providence was in the high twenties which means at-large bid above all the teams you mentioned. Don't hate the player, hate the game. The big issue is that Soccer Ratings assigns a value based on your previous year's success, the RPI holds no weight on previous years.

If one win against UCONN a year later means they were robbed last year, then Fordham was robbed as well in beating South Florida.

11. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    The problem is you can't check the RPI because the NCAA keeps it a big secret when it comes to soccer. Apparently individual universities can release their own RPI but I haven't seen more than a half-dozen do so each year.

If the soccer RPI is so great, why does the NCAA keep it so secretive?

But perhaps you have a link to all the 2005 RPI numbers (and specifically the numbers at the time tournament selection was performed) ...? If so, please do share.

12. UConnRadioKid

UConnRadioKid New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Hartford, CT, USA
    UConn trails Saint Louis at the half, 3-0.

WHUS.org

13. UConnRadioKid

UConnRadioKid New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Hartford, CT, USA
    SLU wins 5-1. Akeem Priestley scored for UConn, on a miscue by the Billiken keeper.

Most goals allowed since 6 to UNLV on Sept. 23, 2001.

14. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Are you the voice of 91.7 - I was listening as I was driving through CT. I thought you did a real good job.

It clearly was not UCONN's day - but good job on the broadcast (if it was you)

15. UConnRadioKid

UConnRadioKid New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Hartford, CT, USA
    No, that was John, I graduated last year. Thanks though, I'll pass along your kudos.:)

16. NorthGoalGang

NorthGoalGang Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Coventry, CT
    Wow, we suck out of the gate. Ray Reid was calling on the forwards to get their heads out of their asses after the first loss. Sounds like he can get on the whole team about it now.

17. UConnRadioKid

UConnRadioKid New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Hartford, CT, USA
    Heck of a weekend for the Huskies.

-2-1 OT win vs. Rutgers on Friday
    -2-1 win vs. Nova on Sunday

UConn scored 2 in the final 12:00 to beat Villanova. The latter goal, a pk, was off a call that led the Wildcats to chase the official around the pitch briefly for an explination.

18. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. NorthGoalGang

NorthGoalGang Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Coventry, CT
    Nova deserved a better fate in this match. They played a good 80 minutes and UConn played a good 10. Was the PK legit? Tough to see from my vantage point.

And why isn't WHUS broadcasting the games? Really had to get the polka show on, huh?

20. UConnRadioKid

UConnRadioKid New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Hartford, CT, USA
    WHUS broadcast today's game. We didn't do the Friday game vs. RU so we could do the (originally scheduled for a Friday) St. John's game- which is still on, but for Thursday. We've got every home game, and several road games, from here on out.

Utterly shameless plug for the broadcast schedule

I assume you are also referring to the Great Polka Incident of the 2002 Big East Tournament. :D

21. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHUS definitely had the Nova game on, I listened to it online.

22. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the stadium announcer say "Throw in Connecticut" and "Throw in Villanova" every time the ball went out? It gets annoying pretty fast.

23. NorthGoalGang

NorthGoalGang Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Coventry, CT
    Is this the same PA announcer who kept saying "First Quarter" and "Second Quarter" during last year's Big East Tourney? I didn't know Dave O'Brien did PA work at UConn.

24. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, it was nice to see a good number of students (12th man) back at the games behind the South goal and in the corner on the North end.

25. Hagbard Celine

Oct 7, 2003
    Simsbury, CT
    I think they call themselves the Husky Hardcores or something like that. They were sort of artificially created by the Athletic Dept., as far as I can tell, but it's cool because they seem really into it.

As for the game, I really can't decide "what's wrong" with the team. I think it comes down to slow decision making out of the back and through the midfield. By the time they decided to do something, Villanova had gotten their shape back and were cloggin up the area, making it difficult to accomplish anything without short crisp passes. The last 10-15 minutes, the wings started beating their men 1V1, which opened up space for them and the team. I think this is how they scored their first goal. I think it was Cordeiro who beat his man on the left, then they eventually got a cross in (it wasn't Cordeiro) to Obrian White. White's first touch was around the six yard line...he knocked it toward goal out of reach of the lone defender. He then beat the keeper to the ball in a 3 yard foot race and toe-poked it passed him...it was a well-taken goal. On the PK, there was a goal-mouth scramble and White got levelled in the fracas. I didn't really see it happen, so I'm not sure whether it was a legit call or not. It did look like he got hammered though, as he was very slow to get up. After the game, 2 Vill players ran to the refs and yelled at them then gave them a round of sarcastic applause. Classy.

No one's mentioned Nova's goal yet...it was very soft. A high shot from distance, without any pace at all. UConn keeper jumps and it looks like he can't decide whether to catch it or punch it over the goal. Instead it sort of rolls off the back of his hands into the net...very soft goal.

UConn looked like the better team to me, but they clearly need to start reading the game faster or they'll continue to have trouble scoring. It doesn't matter how good your team is if you can't score.

Also, it looked like they played a 4-4-2 when Chukwudi was playing, but then switched to a 4-5-1 when he subbed out. One thing I noticed is that their forwards play too far away from each other. I'm also confused about why Chukwudi gets subbed out so often, unless it's a fitness thing. I don't rate him as highly as White, but he's still a dangerous goal-scorer. I might be full of it though, because they scored their goal when he was subbed off (I think).