UCLA 2022

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by McSkillz, Dec 29, 2021.

1. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As UCLA announced their new hire for head coach, I thought it would be appropriate to start a new season thread finally for the Bruins. Welcome to the Bruin family Margueritte!

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  2. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Welcome to underwhelming results for the next several years!

3. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Excerpts of an article from socceramerica.com about Margueritte Aozosa.

For the whole article, pls subscribe to soccer america

4. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Anyone know why Kaila Novak is not listed on the UCLA roster? Looking at her insta, she doesn't have any mention/pics of anything ucla anymore. Very odd. Is she transferring somewhere? Is she turning pro? Quitting soccer for her dumb tiktok fame she currently has?!

5. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    what makes her tik tok fame dumb?

6. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    She is with the Canadian U20 national team right now at the World Cup so I doubt she is quitting soccer. She still has some UCLA photos up on her Instagram, but you are right she is not listed on the roster on UCLA site.

7. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    because it seems she’s very focused on it!! Rather then soccer (at ucla) and school! I would not be surprised if she quit soccer altogether (and school) to follow her gf into being an influencer/entertainer. (Eye roll)

8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Ha: Isn't about 95 percent of TikTok fame dumb?

The article describes the "legendary" Amanda Cromwell. Uh, I think that's hyperbole.

9. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I don’t think it’s dumb but I was a college athlete and also am aware of how much time it takes to put out the kind of regular content she puts out. So to be a student and athlete and still have that much time dedicated to tiktok seems…unwise. (Granted if she’s making bank off it maybe it’s super wise.)

Cliveworshipper and mpr2477 repped this.
  10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good start to our season. Hopefully we make a better run than last season and not get beat by UC Irvine of all schools…

11. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Congrats to your Bruins!! They put on a show this past week! Y’all have several impressive “long legged, 400m sprinters” on your team, that can just take off and run for days!

12. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough game as Arizona is a very physical team and played their game well against us for the most part. It could have easily gone either way if it wasn't for that moment of brilliance from the great Sunshine Fontes. We continue our perfect season.

13. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We went back down to number 2 :cry::cry:

14. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now we’re back to number 1? Okay I’ll take it :thumbsup:

15. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USC played flawlessly to nab the win over rivals UCLA 2-0. We just seemed rattled and unable to have any meaningful possession of the ball the whole time, not to mention just too many unforced errors that are uncharacteristic. Almost attended the match in person but had a birthday celebration I needed to get to today so maybe it was a good thing I didn't attend the match in person.

With the results, Stanford wins the Pac-12 conference title and UCLA shifts over to number 2 and USC 3. It shouldn't affect us too much going into the NCAA tournament as we should still be a top seed, though downgraded from 1. We'll see what happens on Monday.

The silver lining is that UCLA gets to watch the video and learn from the mistakes from a top 10 team and hopefully go into the tournament making adjustments.

Congrats to Stanford for their conference title and congrats to the Bruins for a very impressive regular season.

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something to know is that the RPI significantly discriminates against teams from the West. (Data from the last 15 years show that in out-of-region games, teams from the West perform significantly better than their ratings say they should.) It underrates Stanford and USC. We will have to see how the final ratings end up, but they probably still will be underrated.

The Committee is well aware of this, but by rule they cannot take it into account so far as ratings and the related ranks are concerned. They can consider other factors -- such as head to head results and results against common opponents -- but it puts them at a serious disadvantage in terms of settiing the bracket with the teams in the proper order.

18. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, looks like we took North Carolina's corner of the bracket this year. I'm just glad USC ended up stuck with UC Irvine this year lol Pepperdine didn't quite make it in the tourney when it usually does and we always end up facing them early on in the tournament at some point.

Never heard of Northern Arizona so it will be interesting to see what they look like over the weekend against UCLA. Overall, I'm pretty confident that we will go far as long as we can get our offense going. I still don't know what happened with USC over the weekend but as I've said before, sometimes a team just doesn't play to their own level on a given day for whatever reason. Hopefully we learn from those mistakes we made and take that into the tournament. We had one of the bigger upsets last year when we didn't even get past the first round.

19. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's go UCLA! U C L A FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

21. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Defensively we are pretty shaky tonight. A couple of UCF chances could have gone in already.

22. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overtime! 1-1 UCLA-UCF

Both teams playing pretty evenly, both having offensive chances and both having good defensive games. Could go either way at this point but UCF is playing well despite against home advantage so the edge might be on them.

We have been pretty good on our home field though having lost our two matches away in the regular season.

Let's see what happens. Either way, it's a disadvantage going into Sunday whoever gets through due to tired legs.

23. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WE GOT ITTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!! LILY REALE!!!

We move on to Sweet 16!

24. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    UCLA definitely deserved to move on. They were the much stronger side while I was watching the 2 OTs and PKs.

25. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That UCF team was pretty solid in the back though, they didn't give us any room to get any shots off for most of the match in regular time. Overtime, they were starting to fall apart but we didn't anything in the back of the net. Their goalkeeper is AMAZING! WOW. Maybe didn't do so well with the PK stuff at the end but throughout the match, she made record breaking number of saves.