UC Santa Barbara 2007

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Gaucho95, Jan 11, 2007.

1. GauchoYoungin

GauchoYoungin Member

Nov 18, 2004
    Get your sh** straight. He hasn't been convicted of anything and the second charge is for sexual assault (i.e. girl said someone slapped her on her rear end). Everyone likes to have a field day with bullcrap going around, including the media. Frimmer is innocent and it sucks that his life is ruined b/c of this misidentification. Sucks for the girl going through this, but she shouldn't ruin someone unless she is 100% sure (and knowing what I know of that night, there is no way she can be).

2. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horrible news. Hopefully, the truth will come out in a court of law, not in the court of public opinion. That said, we need at least a dozen more felonies to catch up to UNLV...

3. UpperV

UpperV New Member

May 11, 2004
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here here!!! The court has issued a "GAG ORDER"... enough said, to protect all involved. :cool:

4. CalSoccerGuy

CalSoccerGuy New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    All I said is he got arrested....hopefully the courts will get to the truth and it will be settled. It is not like I said anything completely untrue or completely off base...the fact is he got arrested twice....

5. ucsbfan

ucsbfan New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    When you say "Classy stuff, Gauchos" that implies guilt. Don't try and recant your statement now that people have called you out on it.

6. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    Any details on the Crew game last night? Maybe a post match report??

7. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  8. s0ccerguy

s0ccerguy Member

Mar 25, 2004

Word on the street is 4-1, UCSB loses

9. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  10. s0ccerguy

s0ccerguy Member

Mar 25, 2004

Pretty weak schedule with the exception of SMU, and maybe UNM. You would think it would be easy to get quality opponents to go play at UCSB but I guess it's difficult during the academic year.

11. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I will concede that it's not the strongest schedule, but it's not weak. Let's look at your analysis which starts with implying that SMU is a strong team (7th in RPI), but there is some question regarding UNM. UNM was 15th in RPI last year, and we will be playing them at their house in the late summer. This is unquestionably a good match versus a quality opponent at their tourney.

Harvard was 27th in RPI last year, won the Ivy League, and made the tourney.

Stanford has been traditionally a very strong team but have been down a couple years. I think they're poised to improve on their respctable 47th RPI from last year.

Columbia was pretty poor last year (147th), but I'd play just about any school if it was on Fox Sports Channel. Plus, it'll be great to have Chappel back, and I anticipate his team will be better next year.

Wisc-Milwaukee was 88th last year, but they make the tourney quite often, and this will be a rematch from the 2004 playoffs.

Gonzaga plays in the tough WCC and finished 60th last year.

So, we have only one team on the schedule that was below average (over 100th RPI) last year, and that game is on TV and has some meaning to UCSB fans. Again, I'm not saying this is a particularly strong schedule, but it certainly is not weak.

Also, I don't understand your ending comment that it must be difficult to attract teams to UCSB "during the academic year". That left me scratching my head.

12. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Good schedule. Not as good as last year though...Akron, UVa, UCLA, SDSU, UIC, LMU, Michigan.

Stanford should be much better next year. UNM on the road is a tough place to play. SMU is a big name opponent. Columbia is the worst opponent on paper, but it's a very meaningful match for UCSB fans.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think that's their soccer team's official motto.

14. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    In the UCSB board someone wrote that the Gauchos played Azusa Pacific before they took the field against the crew... does anyone know what the score was?

15. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I have no idea. Your best bet is to ask the question on the Gaucho board. Not many Gaucho fans visit this board, and the bulk of the soccer discussion occurs over there.

16. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the problem... you see dismay... I see opportunity!

I think it's time you do your best Pied Piper impression and show those Gaucho fans the BigSoccer light!

:D

17. pdid7

pdid7 New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    The final result was Azusa Pacific with a 3-2 win. Obviously UCSB had a game that night with Columbus so they were resting their first team players to be fresh for the Crew. The APU-UCSB game was fairly wide open with UCSB getting the best of the first 20 minutes but things were fairly even after APU scored on the counter for their first goal. It was back and forth most of the game with plenty of chances for both teams. APU scored late to win 3-2.

18. s0ccerguy

s0ccerguy Member

Mar 25, 2004
    Meaning that it would be difficult to get a lot of better college soccer teams from the midwest and east coast to travel to UCSB during the spring academic semester, the fall of course is a different situation.

19. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  20. whyspotsonball

Apr 9, 2007
    midwest
    I would love to see a home away series started with Indiana early in the season. They would be great rivals and I'd love an excuse to come to Santa Barbara again, beautiful place. I think most USB fans would like Bloomington, I know the 40,000 students seem to.

21. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Gauchos beat Necaxa reserves 1-0. Tennelle with the goal. Avila looked great. Iro didn't play. Good result.

22. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  23. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All but five players returning from last year's team, plus a handful of stud recruits and transfers....things are looking good in Gaucholand!

24. uksailmaker

uksailmaker New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Who played left back for UCSB last year and this spring??

25. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Greg Curry played on the left most of the year. He will be a senior next year and is playing for the Bakersfield Brigade of the PDL with his younger brother, Jon (also a defender).

Jeff Murphy (now graduated) played on the right until he sustained an injury during the playoffs and was replaced by versatile Chris Pontius.

Although Iro is a central defender, he oftentimes shifts out to the left.

With Iro (Sr), G Curry (Sr), J Curry (RS So), Motagalvan (Jr), and Kaveny (Jr) returning, we will have a great defense. We also have the U-20 Kiwi coming in and can use Pontius (Jr) and Tennelle (Sr) in defensive roles. We lose only Murphy from last year.

With 3 freshman keepers fighting for the starting spot, I'm glad that we will have a verteran defense.