Uab

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by CG, Jul 29, 2002.

1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

Clemente was a good GK for the Blazers. I had my doubts early on but his senior year was good especially. He was playing for the Atlanta Silverbacks of the A-League but now is back in B'ham coaching a local high school team. I heard he had to quit because of injury but I don't know if that is true or not.

2. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Actually Pusateri has split time between wide marking back and wide midfielder although he played most of last year as the flank right midfielder. I have him in the back mostly because the Bills lost 2 starting backs and Pusateri is a safe choice at that position, he could very well end up as a flank midfielder.

As far as Nick Walls is concerned I expect a big year out of him. Personally I think he is among the most talented of the forwards in the College game currently. Walls is extremely powerful and among the 2 or 3 fastest players on a fast SLU team. Look for Walls to have a breakout season.

I have the 3 main Saint Louis recruits as all starters because they are all excellent blue chip players and I believe they will make an immediate impact on the starting line-up. Of course I'm not the coach of the team but SLU has at least 3 holes to fill in the midfield and 1 in the backfield as well as a new keeper. The 3 Saint Louis recruits are all extremely quick on the ball and all possess outstanding technical ball skills and creativity. Dan Wynn has the ability to scorch opponents on the wing and McKee is equally fine on the ball. Hopson was probably the top Saint Louis Area player last year and will most definetely make his mark early on. Now don't get me wrong I am aware of the 3 Texas kids and their fine reputation and I'm sure they will challenge for starting positions but in my opinion the Saint Louis kids will all start. I admit I only know the Texas kids by reputation but I'm very familiar with the local players having seen them play many times. I will not be suprised at all if the Texas players make a big impact.

As far as speed players on the SLU roster they are loaded.

Wynn, McKee, Hopson, Walls, Cole and Pusateri are all speed demons and Jewsbury as a big man is right there with them. Joe Hammes although he doesn't look like he is moving fast is above average in footspeed and has uncanny positioning as well the same with Mike Kirchoff. That leaves Nick Gannon and I'm sure Nick isn't going to win any 100 meter gold medals but he gets above average marks in terms of footspeed.

3. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UAB selected by CUSA coaches to win the conference:

http://uabsports.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/081402aaa.html

an excerpt:

This is the kind of thing I like to see...of course Getman has it right when he says, this is an honor, but you've got to win it on the field.

4. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    The road To the Conference USA Championship goes through Saint Louis! :)

Literally it does as the Conference Tournament is being hosted by SLU.

5. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My friends and I are pondering a drive to St. Louis for the regular season to support our beloved Green & Gold in a victory over St. Louis on their home turf. :) Plus, we've never been to St. Louis and hear it is a pretty cool place to hang out.

6. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I will look you up for the SLU Vs UAB game of which the winner may will be the eventual Conference Regular Season Champion.

I think you will enjoy Saint Louis.