UAB-St Louis[R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by CG, Nov 8, 2003.

1. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    http://slubillikens.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/recaps/110803aaa.html

UAB dominated possession but SLU had some clinical finishing. Very impressed with Vedad Ibesevic. He pretty much played as a lone forward the 1st half and still caused problems. SLU's 2nd goal was fantastic. Crossfield ball from DiRaimondo to John finished left footed on the volley into the far lower right corner. UAB got a consolation goal with about 15 minutes to go from Leandro de Oliviera.

2. soccerlegend

soccerlegend New Member

Nov 9, 2003
    come again?

i respectfully disagree- i feel that uab may have had a few skillful players in the midfield, but overall slu worked better as a team- their high pressure defense caused many turnovers for UAB. I was surprised at the lack of class of the UAB players. Many of them were going in dirty and saying stuff after the plays. i guess that it serves them right to lose on their senior night- kudos to slu for the win- uab has a talented team though and could do damage in the tournmaent
    ps. where is danny wynn? it could have been 5-1 with his explosive speed

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    all i'm gonna say is HELL YEAH! SLU was startin' to worry me

4. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: come again?

what do you disagree with? UAB did dominate possession for long stretches but SLU played a good counterattacking game. UAB gave SLU the 1st goal but the 2nd & 3rd were very nice. I don't think I ever said UAB should have won. Lack of class? It's college soccer....I think that is par for the course. SLU wasn't exactly Peter Pan either.

5. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Note to future SLU opponents: Respect Will John's left foot.

pvan4, tell me if this was SLU's game:

- First, long balls to the wings to open things up.

- Second, give the ball to Vedad four or five times and see if he can penetrate the defense. Don't bother to go with him, just mark up on the opponent's holding mids.

- Finish the game with the defense is on it's heels and Vedad laying off a few passes in the 18 with the mids and wings floating around outside of Vedad.

6. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: Re: UAB-St Louis[R]

In the 1st half, it was lots of direct balls up to Vedad. After they went 2-0 up, they played more possession style but still fairly direct.

7. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    MLS should offer Vedad a P-40 contract today. The guy is the best forward I've seen all season, and I've seen a lot of college games. He's better than any front runner in the ACC, that's for sure.

Concerning UAB. They are the dirtiest team on the planet. Not surprising to hear they were going after players legs with cleats up, etc. Their coach is an Indiana product, correct?

8. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    I need some of what you guys are smoking cos I've seen way dirtier teams than UAB. If I thought they were dirty I'd raise my hand and admit it but they are just tough and physical. I thought Midwesterners were supposed to be tough. Yall are whingeing like you need your diaper changed.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: come again?

Shots: SLU - 6, UAB - 15
    Corners: SLU - 0, UAB - 10
    Saves: SLU - 4 (Hutton), UAB - 2 (Drake)
    Fouls: SLU - 17, UAB - 17

The stats definately favor UAB, of course that doesn't matter when you don't have the one stat that matters but outshooting them 3 to 1 and 10 corners to zero seems to indicate the general run of play.

Even the article from St. Louis' website indicates as much:

quote: Saint Louis capitalized on its limited first half chances, while UAB had the better of the possession time.

Apparently, the referee thought they were equally "dirty" considering 17 fouls each.

Also on the issue of "class" what about Vedad Ibisevic running in front of the UAB bench and the student/drum section with his finger over his mouth insinuating "I just shut you all up?"

UAB plays hard yes, dirty, no.

10. soccerlegend

soccerlegend New Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Re: Re: come again?

first of all- uab plays hard yes, and dirty yes- and second of all you can't really say that uab outshot slu unless you want to count shots from 35 out that missed the goal by 25 yards- 75% of their shots had no chance of hitting the target

11. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: Re: come again?

I have no problem with that.

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: come again?

I'm not saying I have a problem with it, but if I'm getting a lecture on class, then that seems to fall well outside the bounds of it.

13. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Isn't Vedad a foreigner (Bosnian, I think)? Unless he's acquired citizenship since coming over to the States, I don't think he's eligible for P-40. If he were to come out I think he'd have to sign a regular contract, not that that should change anything.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Several foreign players have signed P40 deals, including Dema Kovalenko. There have been others but I'm too tired to look them up.

As for Vedad, he may not turn pro after this year but I'll be shocked if he's playing for SLU as a junior.

I also don't see DiRaimando staying all four years, though he may be a classic three-year player.

15. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    nicodemus....ask ANY player who has played against UAB this year, and they will all tell you the same thing...that UAB is dirty.

16. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    and how do you have access to all these players that have played UAB? Name some players that you have personally talked to that said that UAB is dirty.

17. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Thanks for the report pvan4!

18. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    so where are all these players?

19. soccerinstlouis

soccerinstlouis New Member

Nov 10, 2003
    re:UAB-St. Louis

UAB did have some ball control early in the first half, but it was minmal after that. The soccerlegend made a good point about the types of shots that UAB took, 90% of them would not have been on net if the goal was twice the regulation size.

With regards to their style of play, lots of college teams play physical, but they do so head on. The difference with UAB is that they do it from behind, or outside the touchline, that makes it dirty.

Last of all Vidads goal run and interaction with the crowd was not the smartest thing to do, but the noise from the crowd was so obnoxious - the constant drumming music being blasted over the loud speakers, and the plastic noodles constantly being beat was ignorant - not to mention that UAB made the SLU team stand out on the field for 15 minutes before the game while they announced the acolades for all of the seniors....

20. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: re:UAB-St. Louis

You people are naive.

how is that activity ignorant?

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "drumming music" come from real drums, they don't "pipe" it in. Pardon us for not wanting to sit in stone silence.

22. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    St Louis whiners

I'm guessing all these whiners on here are either SLU players(we all know players complain about stuff to the extreme) or SLU parents(I don't wanna see my baby get hurt....UAB is dirty). Girls blouse.

23. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Yeah, we're all a bunch of whiners because we don't like to see dirty hacks from UAB breaking players legs with vicious, cleats up tackles from behind.

24. lastword

lastword New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    College Park, MD
    LUVDA's BS

Luvvy, You don't get it, do you? You claim broken legs where there are none. You claim cleats up tackles, and u did not see the game, and you claim vicious tackles from behind and no substantiation. Do u wonder why people think u are a "nut"? give some specifics, like u promised in your "state of the college game" thread. Why wait? U are a punk. Stay off the boards until u have some real examples and not just BS punking.

25. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: LUVDA's BS

so it's not just me.