U23 Players in MLS this week - 9/28 [R]

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Nutmeg, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Code:
    [size=2]
    [u][url=http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=09232003_LACHI&version=recap]Tuesday USOC:  Los Angeles 2-3 Chicago[/url][/u]	
    Player Name	Minutes	Goals	Assists
    Beasley   	92	1	1
    Gray       	90	0	0
    Pause      	**Added time**

[u][url=http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=09252003_DCMET&version=recap]Thursday:  DCU 0-0 Metrostars[/url][/u]	
    Warren       	12	**MLS Debut**
    Convey       	90	0	0
    Esky       	16	0	0

R. Clark   	90	0	0
    Magee       	46	0	0

[u][url=http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=09272003_KCLA&version=recap]Saturday:  Kansas City 2-1 Los Angeles[/url][/u]	
    Lewis       	46	0	0
    Memo      	4	0	0

[u][url=http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=09272003_DALSJ&version=recap]Saturday:  Dallas 2-3 San Jose[/url][/u]	
    Donovan   	86	2	1
    Walker       	11	0	0
    Alvarez       	4	0	0

B. Davis      	67	0	1
    Johnson      	90	0	0
    Stone      	90	0	0

[u][url=http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=09282003_METDC&version=recap]Sunday:  Metrostars 1-1 DCU[/url][/u]	
    R. Clark   	85	0	0
    Gaven       	90	0	0
    Magee       	10	1	0

Warren       	90	6 Saves
    Convey       	90	0	0

[u][url=http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=09282003_CLBNE&version=recap]Sunday:  Columbus 2-3 New England[/url][/u]
    Martino   	90	1	0
    Buddle       	90	0	1
    [/size]

So Landon sets himself apart once again this week with a stellar performance against Dallas. The combination of DeRo and Donovan is proving to be the most potent in Major League Soccer, as the two have just been electric together up front for the Quakes. Those two at full health could bring another MLS Cup to Yallop and San Jose. The sad part - is anyone watching?

Martino and Buddle both collected points off of a corner kick, but Columbus' defense lets them down against New England.

I wasn't particularly impressed with Ricardo Clark this week, especially in his defensive responsibilities. Magee, OTOH, put away a clutch goal for the Metros to secure a point in OT.

From the numbers, it looks like DMB lit up LA in Open Cup action, and fouled Bo right out of the game in probably the most meaningful game of the week, as Chicago is now in the USOC final.

It is good to see Convey once again getting big time minutes in DC. He had a lot of shots, but didn't convert any. I hope Convey improves his finishing, as I think it is the one aspect of his game that prevents him from being a superstar. Also, Doug Warren will be a player to keep an eye on. Rimando's injury is serious, and if Countess cannot get off Colin Clarke's bench, Warren will seriously compete for the GK job.

Good to see a couple of U-17s getting minutes in the form of Gaven and Memo, but unless they see some serious time over the next year with the Metros and Galaxy, it would be a real shock to see them on next year's Olympic Squad.

Still, a very good week for the U23's in MLS. Gooch also appears to be getting good minutes in Belgium, although he's lining up as a central defender. I still think his role with the Olympic team is as a right back. Here's my updated U23-11:

Buddle-Donovan

Beasley-Beckerman-Martino-Johnson

Convey-Gray-Borchers-Onyewu

Countess

The only significant change is putting Donovan back up top and moving Johnson to right mid. Eddie has played well there for Dallas, and right midfield is a serious weakness for the U23's. If Eddie continues to play big minutes there for the Burn, he may have found a spot for himself in the Olympics.

This has the look of a serously dangerous US team. Should be fun to watch.

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Gaven was given Man of the Match by MLSnet, despite not getting any play in the match recap (only mentioned his goal earlier in the year). Don't know whether he was MOTM, but he was very dangerous on the dribble during the game. Likely earned himself more playing time.

4. DMunited

DMunited New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Austin TX
    Great work Nutmeg. Looks like we are going to have a very dangerous attacking team to work with although I might switch Donovan and Johnson if EJ continues his progress into next season. (not because I question Donovan's finishing which has been stellar as of late, I simply think he creates more havok from midfield.)

As much as I don't like the rule allowing overage players on the Olympic team where do you think our needs are? Right now I would say, keeper, centerback, and rightback would be our biggest weakness. I'd prefer to to bring some vets close Olmypic age like Howard, Boca and Cherendolo at those positions.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Nutmeg

ever thought of Kyle Beckerman at LB? and put Convey into the middle of the attack? I know Becks has improved tremedously defensivly. But from what I've seen of him this seaons (granted, not too much), but he isn't nearly as good as Convey offensivly.

And here's one for the populace. How about Eddie Johnson to Central Defense? He is more than fast enough, strong enough, quck enough to keep up with the best strikers, and he'd be a HUGE asset in the air. And he'd bring bring tremendous skill to the back line.

6. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Admittedly, Beckerman hasn't done anything offensively this year, but that's not a reason to assume he's not capable of it. Back on the U-17 and U-20 teams with Donovan, Beasley, and Convey, Beckerman was a pretty solid attacking mid. It's only since he's been in Colorado that he's been focusing on defensive responsibilities, and I think there's a chance that, next year, with a full MLS season behind him, you'll really see his offensive game develop.

As for Eddie Johnson to central defense, I don't think there's any chance of this happening. No way is one of the most promising strikers in the league going to be moved into defense by the Burn, who, although they're short on defense, are just as short on offense. EJ will be either at striker or right mid for his tenure in MLS, and if he's not playing defense on a weekly basis, I can't imagine any coach deciding to experiment with him there in the Olympics.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    No I wasn't saying he wasn't capable of being a good offensive midfielder. I suggesting that Convey is better. And also suggesting that Becks might be able step in at Left Back because of his defensive prowess

8. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I too was impressed with Rico Clark vs DCU. the way DC's defense has been lately, it's very hard to attack them up the center and Clark was a d-mid on this day. Also notice how much the DCU attack stalled on Sunday vs how they just ran through the metros' midfield the Thursday before when Clark was on the wing.

Warren has every opportunity to move ahead of Countess now.

Nutmeg- Convey at left back for the U-23's? You've got to be kidding. He'll be in the midfield somewhere. He's ahead of both Martino and Johnson (and Convey has played right mid before). Johnson needs to learn defense more if he's to be a true right wing. On the Burn lately, he's been more of a wide forward in a three forward set- a big difference.

10. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    But what a brilliant development it would be if this kid could develop the versatility to play forward and R mid. I know I'm dreaming (for now), but with his size, speed and skills, Johnson could be a force on the flank as well as up front. And lord knows we need a R mid.

11. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Ursula -

Fair enough on Ricardo Clark - although I think NY's overall style of play (aka - bunker) had as much to do with DCU's attack stalling.

As far as Convey, I do think he'll end up as left back. Why? For a couple of reasons. First, it gets more talent on the field, and as much as you like Convey, I was more impressed with Martino in the Confederation's Cup as A-Mid. Convey's not chopped liver, and I've spent a good amount of time defending his work in the central midfield in other places, but I still like Martino there more. The second reason I think we'll see Convey as the left back is because the technical director of US Soccer apparently wants to develop him as a left back. I think he'll have some say in how the U23 team plays, too.

And Johnson on the right is easily the shakiest call in my lineup, but I still think he has more potential there than does Convey. When I've seen Convey on the right, he hasn't impressed. I agree that the biggest question surrounding Johnson is work ethic and defensive ability. But more than a few forwards have transitioned well into wide midfielders as they develop, and I see a lot of potential in young Johnson.

He's got a year to work at it.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I agree with that Convey might play LB to get more talent on the field but I can't agree with you when you say that Martno is a better A-Mid than Convey. Cameroon did not pressure our midfield. And in doing so they played right into Martino's strength of finnesse soccer. But evrry time he's run into pressure defense he's been taken out of his game. Martino's game just isn't robust enough to be truly effective. not yet anyway. If he can prove that he can stand upto to it (which he hasn't , columbus fans will tell you that their biggest gripe with KMart is his tendancy to dissapear under these conditions), then he you can argue he'd be a better a-mid than Convey.

EDIT-

If its the current incarnation of Convey that shows up for the U-20s then Martino easily transcends convey as an A-Mid. From all reports the kid is still not back into his game yet. But I don't really blame him, thats quite a shock to take as a 20 year old.