U23 Players in MLS this week - 10/5 [R]

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Nutmeg, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Code:
    [size=2]
    [u][url=http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=10012003_CHICOL&version=recap]Wednesday:  Chicago 1-1 Colorado[/url][/u]	
    Player Name	Minutes	Goals	Assists
    Beasley   	90	0	0
    Gray       	90	0	0
    Pause       	8	0	0
    Jaqua       	14	0	0

Borchers       	90	0	0
    Trembly       	90	0	0

[b]Borchers named Man of the Match[/b]

[u][url=http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=10042003_DCCLB&version=recap]Saturday:  DCU 1-1 Columbus[/url][/u]	
    Convey       	90	0	0

Martino   	90	0	1
    Buddle       	90	0	0

[u][url=http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=10042003_COLKC&version=recap]Saturday:  Colorado 2-4 Kansas City[/url][/u]	
    Borchers       	90	0	0
    Beck       	90	0	0
    Trembly       	90	0	1

[u][url=http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=10042003_LACHI&version=recap]Saturday:  Los Angeles 0-2 Chicago[/url][/u]	
    Lewis   	90	0	0

Beasley   	90	1	1
    Gray       	90	0	0
    Jaqua       	88	0	0

[b]Beasley named Man of the Match[/b]

[u][url=hhttp://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=10042003_NEDAL&version=recap]Saturday:  New England 4-1 Dallas[/url][/u]	
    Johnson      	90	0	0

[u][url=http://www.mlsnet.com/games/03/tracker.php?gamename=10052003_METSJ&version=recap]Sunday:  Metrostars 2-0 San Jose[/url][/u]
    Gaven   	90	0	1
    Clark       	90	0	0
    Regan       	90	0	0
    Magee       	85	0	0

Donovan   	90	0	0
    Walker       	8	0	0

[b]Gaven named Man of the Match[/b]
    [/size]

There are three players who really set themselves apart this week - Eddie Gaven, DaMarcus Beasley, and Nat Borchers. Another, Landon Donovan, distinguished himself by trying to get himself kicked out of the Metrostars game. It was also good to see Trembly make his way back into Colorado's lineup, although that will likely change with the return of Mastroeni and the emergence of Darrell Powell.

Gaven answered voros' questions about his ability to make the decisive pass, as he set up one goal and really dominated the Metrostars - San Jose affair. Question - is he good enough to make the leap (and it is a huge one) from the U17's to the U23's? Well, Bradley certainly thinks so, as Gaven has become a bigger piece of the Metrostars' puzzle since returning from Finland. I still wonder about his strength, although that wasn't an issue yesterday.

We look stronger and stronger in central defense at the U23 level. Gray and Borchers have become de facto starters for two of the best teams - and two of the best defensive teams - in MLS. I still worry about our lack of options at the outside defense positions, which is why I would like to see Convey play there. Not having seen Onyewu in Belgium, I really have no idea how good he might be on the right.

This week's 11 -

Buddle - Jaqua

Beasley - Martino - Clark - Johnson

Convey - Gray - Borchers - Onyewu

Warren

I sit Donovan this week because of his lack of class and temper tantrums against NY. But he's #1 on the subs list.

2. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few things:

The Beasley assist was no garden variety assist. He got the ball on the wing and then dribbled through four players before laying it off to Marsch. Even more impressive, to me at least, was that after laying it to Marsch, Beasley finished the play making a run to the back post. Had Marsch chosen that option, Beasley taps in for a goal as his run had left LAs back line scrambling.

I didn't catch any of the KC/Col game. KC scored four times, which generally isn't good if your a central defender on the other team. Anyone see the game and Borchers' play.

Gaven did play a far more complete game yesterday. However, I thought it was definitely interesting that when given the choice between moving Gaven or Guevara into a d-mid role, he chose Guevara. I think Bradley sees Gaven's defense is an aspect of his game that needs work as well. Fortunately, he has more time than anyone on the league to work on it.

And you forgot Baumstark in the DCU game.

Gray has been playing outside on the right for the Fire in defense. Sometimes that's in a 3-5-2, and sometimes it's in a 4-4-2. So if you have Onyewu and Gray, it just comes down to which one you want on the right and which one you want in the center. I think Gray is better at fullback than center back, but that's just me.

Martino's assist to Ross Paule was pretty sweet.

I also thought Lewis had the best game of the LA defenders who had lots of trouble against Chicago.

3. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Baumstark played the 90+OT for DC in goal. Two questions:

1. Isn't he a U-23?

2. What happened to Warren?

4. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Borchers was burnt pretty badly on one of the goals. A ball was played from deep and went over his head at the top of the box. He let it bounce and then for some reason (maybe thinking Garlick was coming out or that the opposing player was offsides) just stopped and the KC player ran on to slot it by Garlick for an easy goal.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: Re: U23 Players in MLS this week - 10/5 [R]

Yes, and a U20. He's an 83 and a member of Rongen's U20 pool. He's No. 3 on the depth chart but was the backup GK in qualifying. Playing should help his chances, as should the fact that Ford Williams of North Carolina. the No. 2 who was hurt during qualifying, currently isn't playing because of reasons I don't know.

According to Hudson during the broadcast of the game, Warren was attending his brother's wedding.

So, we now have three GKs in the U23 pool with MLS experience, plus Yelldell, Cronin, Saunders and Spiteri.

6. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    Re: Re: Re: U23 Players in MLS this week - 10/5 [R]

From the Durham Herald-Sun report on the UNC-Md match:
    "A year ago, Hughes was the starting goalkeeper for Wakefield High in Raleigh. On Sunday, he stepped in while UNC's No. 1 goalkeeper, Ford Williams, sat out with a viral infection."

here's the link to the entire article:
    Young Heels topple top-ranked Terps

7. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn't we be considering Whitbred as a possiblity for the back line of our U-23 team? He just was named MOTM for the Liverpool reserves in a game against (I think) Wolves' reserves.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yes.

Though, he plays center back for Liverpool. He only plays LB for Rongen because he ain't got no one else.

9. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought so. Nutmeg's "current 11" had Onyewu, who is not in MLS, so I thought that Zak should be included. Does anyone think there is a better chance that Liverpool will let Zak go to the Olympics than there is that they let him go to the U-20 WC?

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Onyewu is not playing reserve league games either. Once again, success in reserve league games doesn't prove much. I think Whitbred has two chances -- play well for the Under 20s or get into a real match.

11. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't advocating Whitbred over Onyewu. I simply noted that I thought this thread was about MLS U-23's, but saw that the proposed 11 for the week included Onyewu, who is obviously not in MLS. I therefore figured why not include Whitbred in the mix - not necessarily advocating him as a starter. That being said, I would think that playing in reserve games for Liverpool will expose Whitbred to a very higher calibre of play. Dare I say that EPL reserve games are on par with MLS games?

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I always stay away from debates comparing MLS play to other countries, regardless of level, so I'm not touching that.

As to Whitbread and the Olympics, I don't think Pool would object too much to those as they are in the beginning August and he wouldn't miss too much in the way of league games.

HOWEVER, and this is key, is I can't see them being too enamored with him missing about three weeks in January and February for Olympic qualifying. And, if he doesn't play in qualifying, I don't see him being released for other friendlies and Olympic tuneups, save for those in the summer.

If he doesn't play in qualifying, I think he'll be a longshot for the Olympics.

Perhaps Zak should arrange a loan to a first division team for the second half of this season with the caveat being that he gets released for the Olympic qualifiers and the camp that precedes it.

13. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States