U23 news

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sandon Mibut, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    From the very reliable 3rddegree.net, which covers the Burn:

Brad Davis has been fighting off a groin problem. Clarke says he has been told by docs to shut it down for 4 to 6 weeks, so he is officially done for the season. He ill NOT need to have surgery in the off season, but he will not be playing or even training for that time frame. Davis in fact has been given the week off and has gone home, but will be back to begin rehabbing the groin next week.

And...

Eddie Johnson and Jordan Stone will leave Sunday (after the Rev game) for the US U-20 camp, but will return on Friday before the metro game in time to travel to New York with the team. Eddie has also been called to the U-23 team's next camp.

http://www.3rddegree.net/practice/index.htm

These are interesting developments. If Davis is shutdown for the next couple of months, that mean's he's out for the home-and-away qualifer between the St. Kitts - Dominica winner.

With those games likely in the middle of the MLS playoffs, it will be interesting to see who Mooch calls up but having players from the Burn unavailable doesn't help!

As for Johnson, first off, it's great to see that A) he's recovered his form and that B) his form has resulted in this call-up.

That said, it's going to be a tight with the 20s. I have to check the exact dates of the qualifiers and compare them to when the 20s leave for the UAE but their could be some conflict.

2. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I have thought Johnson should get a look on the 23's for a while now. His talent is just too good not to take a risk with.

My guess is that since he has been moved wide right in Dallas, and since the U23 squad has almost no options at right midfield, Mooch is going to take a look at him there and see if he's a player worth investing in. Other forwards have moved further back in the field as they move up the development ladder, and have seen success doing so. Because of his speed, skill, and athleticism, EJ could be that type of player. It all comes down to his willingness to put in the work and learn to defend.

Or, Mooch could simply use him as a forward.

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the injury news on Justin Mapp? With the way he's played for the Fire this year, he would seem to be the most logical replacement for whatever Davis' role was (Beasley backup at LM, A-mid option, etc.).

4. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read in a Florida newspaper that the U23s are going to be playing a friendly against Haiti's U23s at Lockhart stadium on the 15th of October. Donovan, Beasley and Convey are going to be there.

5. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All U23 players on the Metros and Fire will be extremely busy playing the Open Cup Final.

Gray
    Mapp
    Beasley
    Clark (maybe)
    Magee (maybe)

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, is it on that Wednesday? I'm just reporting on what the Floriday paper said. Maybe that guy's all confused.

7. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the starting XI will still be loaded.

Who do you think would start...
    Donovan
    Convey
    Buddle
    Stone
    Beckerman
    Borchers
    Countess

Anyone else?

8. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    the game is during the week and noone has a mls game so there isn't a conflict...

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Metro and Chicago have a conflict. USOC final.

10. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    any more info on this, we want to cover it.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Thanks for the link, Nutmeg.

Nice to see Borchers breakout year get rewarded. All we ever wanted was for you to get the chance - now it's up to you, kid. Carpe diem.

I don't see Schmidt actually making much of a dent on the forward depth chart but I have no qualms with Mooch taking a look at him.

Here's a guess at 21 players he called in. I have no idea if it will be more or less or exactly 21 players called in but 21 just a guess. Injuries and the Open Cup final definitely limit the options.

FORWARDS
    Edson Buddle
    Landon Donovan
    Alecko Eskandarian
    Eddie Johnson
    Casey Schmidt

MIDS
    Kyle Beckerman
    Bobby Convey
    Adolfo Gregorio
    Kyle Martino
    Jordan Stone
    David Testo
    Seth Trembly

BACKS
    Nelson Akwari
    Nat Borchers
    Ricky Lewis
    Oguchi Onyewu
    Chris Wingert
    Alex Yi

KEEPERS
    DJ Countess
    Josh Saunders
    Doug Warren

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Sandon what would you say a starting XI would look like? here's my guess

GK-DJ Countess
    LB, RB - ???
    CD - Borchers, Gooch
    LM - Convey
    CM - Martino
    CM - Beckerman
    RM - Donovan
    FW - Buddle
    FW - Johnson

I've alway said that I didn't like Donovan on the right but in this case I see no way around it.

13. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd say with the PT Ricky Lewis has been getting he'll get a start (I forgot if he plays LB or RB).

14. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Usually Lewis plays left back. He can play on the right as well though.

Countess

Onyewu-Borchers-Gray-Whitbread/Lewis

Donovan-Clark-Martino-Beasley

EJ-Buddle

That is quite a team. On the bench you still have guys like Davis, Mapp, possibly Adu, Beckerman, Magee, etc.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    For this friendly, which is the roster/lineup we're talking about, a lot of the players you mentioned won't be available for the Haiti game.

All the Fire (Gray, Beasley, Mapp, Jaqua, Pause) and MetroStar (Clark, Magee, Arena, LeBlanc, Regan) won't be available for the Haiti friednly because it's the same day as the US Open Cup.

Also, Davis won't be available, per what is mentioned in the FIRST POST of this thread.

For qualifying and, hopefully!, the Olympics, the players you mentioned are very much factors.

16. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I actually meant to put Convey's name for Davis. It's a shame about Brad. He has been one of the few bight spots for Dallas. How much can guys like Quaranta, Pause, and Alvarez help this team? All three have played a fair amount this year. Pause has probably helped his team the the most. It's hard to deny the talent that Alvarez and Quaranta bring to the table though.