U23 late bloomers

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sandon Mibut, Aug 1, 2002.

1. iusccerfan

iusccerfan New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    O'Rourke is definitly more accustomed to playing d mid in a 3 back system. However, he does not have nearly the amount of distribution skills or creativity to play attacking mid.

2. ezpatari

ezpatari New Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Los Angeles CA
    Palomares: No connection with Greenwood

Mr. Cam, Greenwood indeed is one of our better soccer schools in Southern California, and most of their better players feed into the Santa Anita Soccer Club.

However, Clint Greenwood would not claim Raul Palomares. Raul Palomares trained under his father Jose Luis Palomares, Sr. varsity coach of Crossroads School for Arts & Sciences, Santa Monica CA, goalkeeper coach at Loyola Marymount University, and technical director of Pacific Coast Soccer Club ( www.pacificcoastsoccer.org ), which has an unpublicized soccer camp at the end of August in Santa Monica. Jose Luis' other marquee prospects today are Jose Trinidad Gomez, who finished his school year at Bradenton Academy with the USA Under 17s, and Emmanuel Briceno, who will probably go to an Ivy League school in September 2003. This Club is not just about soccer: The Club helped five of its kids enter private preparatory schools with scholarships for September 2002 matriculation. The Club, by the way, has a Youth Development Program meeting just once per week on Sundays (with Raul attending most of the July sessions while he was on vacation from Croatia), using the Coerver Coaching (TM) method (see club web site and also www.eteamz.com/CCSM ).

3. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    wow ezpatari - that sounds impressive. Thanks for the great information.

Sorry for the misinfo on Raul and Clint Greenwood. I just remember seeing him play on the old Cal Heat team and thought there was more of a relationship there.

4. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Re: Soccer School?

JOB was trained by Afshin Ghotbi before going to Holland. Ghotbi aslo did some work on scouting for Korea before and during the WC. He is currenly working with American Global Soccer School.

5. m00kie

m00kie New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Mannheim, Germany
  6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    We're roughly halfway through the college regular season and I thought I’d update the college players that both Glenn Myernick has looked at for the U23 team so far and the 11 I suggested should get a look. Those suggestions were based on what they did in past college seasons and, in some cases, in the PDL.

And, as a reminder, the only players I considered were those who were born in 81-82 and thus age eligible for the U23 team and the 2006 Olympics but too old for the current U20 team.

The first group is the 20 collegians Mooch has brought into a U23 camp at least once.

Guy Abrahamson, Rutgers (Sr.)
    9 games, 9 starts, 722 minutes, 1 goal, 1 assist
    Despite being onlu 5-10, he’s moved from defensive midfield to central defense for Rutgers, helping Rutgers yield 0.82 goals per game.

Kenny Arena, Virginia (Sr.)
    5 games, 5 starts, 0 goals, 2 assists.
    Stats don’t tell the whole story. He’s been in and out of lineup because of illness and UVa is 4-1-0 with Arena, 2-5-0 without him.

Brian Carroll, Wake Forest (Jr.)
    10 games, starts unavailable, 2 goals, 4 assists
    From his holding midfield spot, Carroll is captaining one of the 4 remaining unbeaten teams in the country, anchoring a midfield that is outscoring its opposition 20-5.

Ned Grabavoy, Indiana (So.)
    11 games, 10 starts, 3 goals, 6 assists
    The only U20-eligible player to get a look with the 23s so far, Grabavoy is playing the attacking MF role for the Hoosiers.

Alecko Eskandarian, Virginia (Jr.)
    9 games, 9 starts, 14 goals, 2 assists
    Simply on fire and making a case he’s the best attacking player in college soccer.

Adolfo Gregorio, UCLA (Jr.)
    8 games, 7 starts, 3 goals, 1 assist
    The right midfielder’s offensive numbers are a little disappointing but he’s helped UCLA back to the Top 10 and their defense is yielding only 0.71 goals per game.

Nate Jaqua, Portland (Jr.)
    12 games, 12 starts, 821 minutes, 8 goals, 4 assists
    Scoring consistently for inconsistent Pilots.

Ricky Lewis, Clemson (Jr.)
    8 games, 8 starts, 0 goals, 3 assists
    After 2 seasons at left back, he’s playing primarily in the middle and on the right, helping Tigers allow just 7 goals.

Logan Pause, North Carolina (Jr.)
    11 games, 11 assists, 0 goals, 1 assist
    Versatile midfielder has been moved to the back line.

Trevor Perea, Duke (Sr.)
    8 games, 6 starts, 1 goal, 0 assists
    Numbers don’t tell the whole story; Perea is finally being allowed to run the offense and not coincidentally, Duke is back in the Top 25.

Paul Souders, Clemson (Jr.)
    9 games, 9 starts, 2 goals, 4 assists
    Flank midfielder continues to build on last year’s breakout (7 goals, 6 assists) season.

Curtis Spiteri, Portland (Sr.)
    12 games, 12 starts, 1071 minutes, 12 goals allowed, 39 saves, 1.01 gaa
    Keeping Portland in games despite inexperienced back line.

David Stokes, North Carolina (Jr.)
    11 games, 11 starts, 1 goal, 0 assists
    Still adjusting to center back after 2 years as a left marking back.

David Testo, North Carolina (Sr.)
    7 games, 6 starts, 3 goals, 4 assists
    Missed some games due to a suspension and hasn’t quite found his groove.

Jason Thompson, Eastern Illinois (Jr.)
    10 games, starts unavailable, 14 goals, 0 assists
    Numbers boosted by a 6-goal game but he continues to put the ball in the hole.

Scot Thompson, UCLA (Sr.)
    8 games, 8 starts, 0 goals, 0 assists
    Moved from wing back to center back, helped the Bruins to 3 shutouts.

Mike Tranchilla, Creighton (Sr.)
    7 games, 5 starts, 3 goals, 1 assist
    Missed some games early in the season because of a death in the family and has yet to really get on track.

Doug Warren, Clemson (Sr.)
    8 games, 8 starts, 5 goals allowed, 37 saves, 0.65 g.a.a
    Entered the season considered the best GK college soccer and is living up to that billing.

Jason White, Princeton (Sr.)
    6 games, 6 starts, 9 goals allowed, 25 saves, 1.50 g.a.a
    Playing on a bad team that would be worse without him.

Chris Wingert, St. John’s (Jr.)
    11 games, 11 starts, 3 goals, 1 assist
    Arguably the best player in college so far this year, Anchoring the best defense in the country – 3 goals in 11 games – while also leading the team in goal scoring.

And here are the 11 players – I tried to form a team as opposed to the best 11 players – that I suggested before the season that Mooch should take a look at. Besides being age-eligible – and a US citizen – the criteria for this team was not already having been called in to a U23 camp.

GK – Mitchell Watson, Sr., NC State (3/26/81)
    9 games, 9 starts, 18 goals allowed, 54 saves, 1.99 g.a.a
    Poor guy gets shelled game after game but the perennially inept Pack give him no support.

LB – Jacob Ward, Sr., Azusa Pacific (5/5/81)
    4 games, 4 starts, 0 goals, 0 assists
    NAIA All-American has been limited due to injuries.

CB – Dustin Branan, Sr., Brown (5/21/81)
    8 games, 8 starts, 1 goal, 0 assists
    Another good player toiling on a not-so-good team.

CB – Matt Oliver, R-So., Virginia (11/5/81)
    10 games, 10 starts, 0 goals, 1 assist
    Has been a bright spot for a defense that has struggled at times this year.

RB – Will Thornton, Sr., Connecticut (1/27/81)
    10 games, 10 starts, 0 goals, 0 assists
    Has started every game of his career and this year is anchoring a defense that is holding opponents to 0.7 goals per game.

DM – Frankie Sanfilippo, R-Jr., San Jose St. (9/8/81)
    11 games, 11 starts, 2 goals, 0 assists
    That a defensive midfielder is his team’s second leading scorer says a lot about both the player (good) and the team (bad).

LM – David Wagenfuhr, Jr., Creighton (6/22/82)
    7 games, 7 starts, 2 goals, 0 assists
    Has played well but not well enough to keep Creighton in the Top 25.

RM – Marcus Storey, So., North Carolina (11/9/82)
    11 games, 10 starts, 5 goals, 2 assists
    Maddeningly inconsistent, sometimes is brilliant, other times dismal.

AM – Matt McCausland, Jr., San Diego (9/16/82)
    12 games, 11 starts, 5 goals, 4 assists
    Playing primarily on the right flank and, rumor has it, drawing a lot of MLS types to USD games.

F – Hamid Mehreioskouei, Sr., Bradley (2/15/81)
    6 games, starts unavailable, 1 goal, 2 assists
    Injuries have limited his availability most of the year but he’s finally healthy and scored in his last game.

F – Jordan Quinn, Sr., South Carolina (1/28/81)
    10 games, 9 starts, 5 goals, 1 assist
    Big striker has kept the Cocks in a lot of games but they’ve lost their last 2 as he’s been shutout.

Hopefully, sometime Tuesday or Wednesday I’ll post a list of other players who are age-eligible for Sydney whose play this season I think has earned them a look from Mooch.

And, as always, I welcome the suggestions and comments of others.

7. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Sandon, great job as usual.

I think Ned Grabavoy is making a statement now about his ability to be a top attacking mid. I can't see him unseating any of the pro guys, like Convey, even if he does go pro, which I think he would have to do if he wants a shot at the Olympics.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Fun with lunch hour! I spent mine compiling this list of 81s and 82s still in college who I think should be considered for a look from Mooch with the U23 team based on solid seasons so far this year.

Again, this list is for players that Myernick has not yet looked at.

Memo Azarte, Jr., UC Santa Barbara (11/22/81)
    http://ucsbgauchos.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/arzate_memo00.html
    9 games, starts unavailable, 1 goal, 11 assists
    JuCo transfer is among the country’s leaders in assists while quarterbacking an attack that is among the highest-scoring in the country.

Denny Clanton, Jr., Dayton (4/4/82)
    http://www.daytonflyers.com/menssoccer/playerdetail/DennyClanton_58.html
    10 games, starts unavailable, 0 goals, 2 assists
    PDL Defender of the Year is reportedly playing well for an underachieving Flyers team.

Bill Gaudette, R-So., St. John’s (9/14/81)
    http://www.redstormsports.com/pls/portal30/sportdev.bio_player?p_id=189&p_sport=MSOCCER
    11 games, 11 starts, 26 saves, 3 goals allowed, 0..26 g.a.a
    He doesn’t face a lot of shots but he’s saving 90 percent of the ones he does see and he’s chasing the NCAA record for lowest g.a.a. in a season.

Clarence Goodson, R-So., Maryland (5-17-82)
    http://umterps.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/goodson_clarence00.html
    10 games, 9 starts, 1 goal, 1 assist
    Converted forward uses his 6-4 frame very well and is very composed and comfortable on the ball.

Alan Gordon, Jr., Oregon State (10/16/81)
    http://osubeavers.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/gordon_alan00.html
    10 games, starts unavailable, 9 goals, 4 assists
    Hulking (6-3, 195) JuCo transfer has OSU off to best start ever.

Chase Hilgenbrinck, Jr., Clemson (4/2/82)
    http://clemsontigers.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/hilgenbrinck_chase00.html
    9 games, 9 starts, 1 goal, 4 assists
    A pure left-footer who can play wide back or wide mid, he’s playing well for a solid Tigers’ defense.

Roger Levesque, Sr., Stanford (1/22/81)
    http://gostanford.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/levesque_roger00.html
    10 games, 10 starts, 5 goals, 12 assists
    After breakout junior year (14 goals), Levesque is showing he can create as well as he can finish.

Mike Littlefield, So., Coastal Carolina (No DOB available – could be an 83)
    10 games, 10 starts, 13 goals, 2 assists
    http://www.coastal.edu/athletics/?f=soccerm/players/mikelittlefield&m=soccerm/soccermmenu
    Competition isn’t the highest but he’s putting up big numbers for an undefeated team.

Tim Regan, Sr., Bradley (6/27/81)
    http://www.bubraves.com/cgi-bin/bio?id=1821
    11 games, 11 starts, 1 goal, 2 assists
    Braves are undefeated, in large part thanks to Regan anchoring a defense yielding 0.56 goals per.

Chris Sawyer, So., Notre Dame (10/20/82)
    http://www.fansonly.com/schools/nd/sports/m-soccer/mtt/sawyer_chris00.html
    10 games, 10 starts, 10 goals allowed, 31 saves, 0.99 g.a.a.
    Solid play has kept low-scoring Irish in most games.

Abe Thompson, R-So., Maryland
    http://umterps.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/thompson_abe00.html
    10 games, 10 starts, 6 goals, 5 assists
    Former U17 star is finally healthy after breaking his foot twice in 8 months and is now playing like he wants back in the youth national team mix.

PS - Karl, I agree about Grabavoy. I think Charleston will be a big factor in determining his potential Olympic future.

And, only 3 ACC players on the above list - I'm doing better!

9. Pagefan

Pagefan Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Levesque

I've been wondering about Levesque. He's putting up outstanding numbers for the second straight season for one of the top teams in the country. Any insight on his potential and why he hasn't been looked at? Hopefully it's not because he's from Maine...:)

10. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Re: Levesque

I've seen quite a bit of Levesque at Stanford, and IMO, he's an excellent prospect. At the collegiate level, he's a target forward (6'2 with good aerial skills) and a guy who chases down long balls and a guy who strikes a ball with precision, whether it's a shot or a pass. Plus, he's intelligent, unselfish, and hard-working. He's earned the attention of US Soccer.

At the end of last season, he developed some back problems and sat out for a long time. I expect that's why he didn't get a call-up then. But with big forwards like Buddle, Casey, and Jaqua born in the same year, somebody has to be the odd one out.

IMO, we've had a remarkable change of fortune at target forward. McBride was out for most of World Cup Qualifying, and we didn't have a single decent back-up. This year, he's made a spectacular return, and a swarm of potential replacements have begun to emerge. :)

11. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    I saw some of San Jose in their 2-1 OT loss against Stanford last week. From what I hear, the big problem is that their top keeper is out with injury, and his back-up is having a nightmarish season. Also, former U-17 Nat midfielder Fausto Villegas has been out with appendicitis. And finally, the team is very young, especially at forward.

With problems at goalkeeper and forward, it's not surprising that they look bad on the scoreboard. However, the team has some real positives; until the overtime, they played Stanford evenly. Their midfield controlled the ball well (though Sanfilippo didn't stand out), and their two center backs were very strong. With improved health and experience, they should finish the season strong.

12. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Sandon, you're simply incredible. Someone make Sandon an All-Star already!!!!

I think Abe Thompson and Kenny Arena are underrated. I guess I'd say they're "sleepers" as nobody seems to think they're great prospects for MLS, and many don't think they'll make the league at all, but I do. Arena in particular adds a lot to a team but isn't very stylish, so often gets thought of as a hack, but he's a real difference maker, enforcer, defensive hammer and glove, and a real team leader.

-Tron

13. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Next????

What's coming up for the U-23's and when will a group be brought together for a camp? Who will coach them?

14. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Thornton is purely a left-back. He could never, ever, under any circumstances, play on the right.

Other than that, good work.

15. manutd02

manutd02 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Hey all! New to the board and just read all the comments for this thread. Just a few quick things that I'd like to point out.

First of all, as far as Mira Mupier goes, he can't play on the national level. I played with him this summer in PDL. He's a solid player. Fast and strong but I was never very impressed with his skill level. Don't get me wrong, he's an excellent player, but not national caliber.

Second was a post considering Mike Littlefield. Played against him this year in college. He's a decent player but no way in heck he'd make the nats.

And finally Kenny Arena. Without a doubt the most overrated player I've played against. Played against him in college this year and he was pretty much useless. Maybe he was off but I've seen him several times and I've never been impressed. The only thing he really has going for him is headers. No one can win one off him.