U20 World Cup Roster: Who is going to New Zealand

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Real Corona, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    It's a roster of 21 with 3 having to be GK's

3. koolvid

koolvid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubio Rubin & Emerson Hyndman. All that matters.

4. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rubin, Zelalem, and Sonora. Curious if Novakovich simply wasn't released or was not chosen for the qualifying tournament.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Rubin is the most obvious addition. Zelalem is not yet a done deal, but everyone expects JK to perform his magic. The 3rd most talked about addition is EPB. Let's hope he's fully recovered from injury. Beyond these three, the next expected addition is Novakovich. Another player we shouldn't forget, and if not for injury would probably have been in Jamaica, is Joel Sonora.

However, there are others to consider, but they're more long shots. Coaches like to see competition at every position, and they're aware of Moore's limitations at RB, for example, so they may be looking at someone like Jordan Allen, the RSL HG. He's definitely a long shot, both because he's been out with injury for a while and because he hasn't proved himself yet with RSL, but he has some potential. There are others to mention, but right now I can't come up with the names.

Namdynamo, TheFalseNine and SUDano repped this.
  6. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I anticipate watching Sonora play again.

Gedion and Emerson in the same midfield is interesting or impossible. We look very sound with a #6 enforcer.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Just my thought process, at least....

Spots locked up assuming healthy and no terrible drop in form:

GK: Zack Steffen, Ethan Horvath
    RB: Tyler Turner
    CB: Cameron Carter-Vickers, Matt Miazga, Erik Palmer-Brown
    LB: John Requejo
    DM/CM: Kellyn Acosta, Russell Canouse, Emerson Hyndman, Marco Delgado
    AM/Wing: Junior Flores, Tommy Thompson, Paul Arriola, Gedion Zelalem
    CF: Rubio Rubin, Andrija Novakovich

That leaves four spots open.

Players I'd consider for those last four spots:

GK's: Santiago Castano, Jeff Caldwell, JT Marcinowski.

We need to take another GK, so one or these guys or someone off the radar will be picked.

Full Backs: Shaq Moore, Desevio Payne, Luis Martir, Jordan Allen

Center Backs: Tommy Redding, Conor Donovan, Justen Glad

We probably need one more full back and one more CB.

I'd take a look at Payne and see what he can bring at the full back positions. Jordan Allen is a wild card. He's been injured for a long time, so it'll be interesting to see if he gets himself back in the picture. If no one really impresses, then pick Shaq Moore and hope he's Turner's back up. Luis Martir is a known quantity and he wasn't picked for qualifying. Seems like a fall back option at the full back positions if no one impresses or there are a lot of injuries.

At CB, I'd prefer Redding. He might get MLS minutes this season and I think he's consistently outperformed Donovan, but Tab seemed to prefer Donovan for qualifying. Justen Glad is a wild card. Seems really talented and doesn't have a tremendous amount of competition to get playing time in the back at RSL. Maybe he could get a few games with the RSL first team and that could help him get a chance with the U-20's. Even a stint with RSL's USL Pro team could help him get a chance with the U-20's.

DM's/CM's: Cristian Roldan, Fernando Arce Jr., Luis Felipe, Kyle Scott

AM/Wing: Amando Moreno, Joel Sonora, Lynden Gooch, Zach Pfeffer, Mukwelle Akale, Sebastian Saucedo, Brooks Lennon, Coy Craft

Forwards: Boxi Yomba, Djair Parfitt Williams, Ben Spencer

All the midfielders and forwards might be competing for one spot depending on how many defenders we take.

I wouldn't even consider Gall and Jamieson IV. Think they are a detriment to the team with their selfishness on the field.

Also, if we somehow get Kennedy(if eligible) or Devante Parker to switch to the USMNT, they should have spots locked up on this team.

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Taking 4 true CB's on an 18-man field roster isn't ideal. Normally you take 3 and have another player like a Caleb Stanko that can play there if necessary.

But there isn't really any Stanko type in this pool. IIRC, Turner played some CB at Bradenton.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup, thats a problem I see with this group. Would have no problem with just three CB's if someone else could play the position, but I don't think anyone besides maybe Turner or Canouse are options.

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I personally think its a mistake to group both together as being the same type of 'selfish'. I liked Jamieson's first touch and ability to beat the first man and put pressure on the defense. To me Gall is selfish while Jamieson is naïve. Jamieson showed me at times he can at least learn how to be a quality attacking player. He should never have been a 9 in the first game. He doesn't have the skill set to combine through the midfield. I did see glimples of talent attacking defenders and he often succeeded beating defenders and succeeded less combining through midfield. I would have no problem with Jamieson making the team as the last offensive player as an 2nd forward or wide player. Gall would just dribble with his head down until someone stole the ball from him.

USAMEX10 and ielag repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I understand what you are saying, but I think a player can be selfish and naive.

12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I saw more successful plays from Jamieson than Gall. I'm personally shocked Ramos treats Gall like a Superstar player for this team.

13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why does moore not have any kind of attachment to a team or anything?

14. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamieson was so clueless. It was ridiculous. his touch is awful too. Gall was just as bad if not worse.

Junior was more skilled on the ball and more intelligent with the ball. brilliant cut back pass to tt.

The forward play left a lot to be desired. it was all about having pace. no positioning no understanding. wish these guys were being developed rather than just depending on pace. it doesnt matter if you dont know what to do with the ball.

Jsean repped this.
  15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I see Rubin listed above as a forward, but with the majority of his club success coming as a 10/AM at the moment, does that affect this team? I haven't watched them that much before this tourney.

16. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Honestly I see BJ having a higher ceiling as a winger than anywhere else.. Probably better than Gall there

17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't necessarily disagree but look at how many of the scoring opportunities that BJIV was involved in this tournament.

I've said it before but BJIV is light years ahead of Zardes at the same age, and in a better environment.

Tom Collingsworth and USAMEX10 repped this.
  18. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much. Jamieson is a raw athlete who may learn to play soccer someday. Gall is incredibly frustrating.

Rumored to have trialed with some teams in Spain I think. Levante? He is pretty bad IMO. All speed, can't cross, can't dribble, poor touch, very one-footed.

19. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How confident are we that Zelalem plays for this team in NZ? I seem to remember reading something from his dad a while back to the effect of "My son's not playing for a youth team, just for the senior team." I hope I'm wrong; I would love to see him in action at the WC. And I'm another person who wants to see Rubin on this team and not the full senior team yet.

20. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. We need a better RB. He works hard though.

Jamieson is just going to be eddie johnson all over again. if he hasnt figured it out at 19-20 it isnt going to magically appear.

emerson is the real deal as is flores. they know how to play the game .how to use space. etc...

soccerusa517 repped this.
  21. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Basically if you are playing BJIV in front of Flores you should be expecting to try to play into Junior and have him make chipped through passes and maybe 1-2's. TT hit a nice one to Bradford today. Positionally I think he can be a lead the line type player, but the service and possession game behind has to be solid. Out wide I think he offers the same thing as Shaq, turning the corner, but he will have trouble creating positive situations for the attack. That means defend/counter/direct tactics or a hobbled attack.

The issue is what approach the team takes. Do we double up on Hyndman and Zelalem? That should mean a concept and selection to suit their game, that almost certainly means a V shaped CM. It means selecting players who can play into, and run off of, the central creators. Personally I think there is a squad that can work with Rubin as the ST but I'm not sure Tab can put it together.

Diamond
    ------------ST--------------------------
    -------------------------RR------------
    ------------------JF--------------------
    --------EH----------------GZ---------
    -----------------KA--------------------

3-3-2-1-1
    -------------ST-------------------------
    -----------------------RR--------------
    ----------EH------------GZ------------
    -JR--------------KA--------------SM-
    -------EPB--------------CCV---------
    -----------------MM------------------

4-1-2-3
    ------------------ST-------------------
    --RR----------------------------PA--
    ----------EH-----------GZ-----------
    ------------------KA------------------

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I really don't think Zelalem is just going to necessarily walk into the lineup. I think there is a chance that he starts, but I wouldn't say he's a lock starter at this point.

23. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    It's always nice to have but I'm not sure there is one. People forget that defending is important.

He actually recently turned 18 (Moore even more recently) players can improve their tactical understanding, maybe FC Dallas in the mid '00s wasn't the best place to learn.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Preferred starting lineup right now.

4-4-2 Diamond:

GK: Zack Steffen
    RB: Marco Delgado
    CB: Erik Palmer-Brown
    CB: Cameron Carter-Vickers
    LB: John Requejo