U20 WC Duty

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by newbiecoach, Apr 25, 2008.

1. fanaticdefutbol8

fanaticdefutbol8 New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Unfortunate news hearing that KO won't be participating. She played a huge part in the qualifying...

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Soccer wire has a piece on the U20 England trip so far:

3. JuegoBonito

JuegoBonito New Member

Jan 15, 2008
    OK, this is wierd. Are you kidding me that KO is out of the U20 world cup and "Girls Can Play" tells us it was a coaches decision??? Come on.This just doesn't make sense. She was the biggest mover and shaker for the qualifying tourney. And while i don't like her play or attitude much, I can appreciate her talent and cannot believe she was not chosen and that this has nothing to do with the red shirt situation. That is my guess. She didn't want to redshirt. I know UCLA players chose not to participate in the U20 WC, they weren't "bumped" by newcomers like Keelin Winters or Becky Edwards... they made choices to discontinue the YNT camps so they could pursue an NCAA title. I thought KO was all in. Really odd. Any insight?

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Interesting mindset there-

It may be that UCLA players in the pool this year decided to not participate, but they didn't give up any spots, they never earned them. I don't think any UCLA players in the pool had spots they would have been "bumped" from. You can't give up a spot you never competed for. I have never seen on a player resumé "could have been on the u20's if she wanted".

It's sort of like "I could have climbed Everest if I wanted".
    Yeah? prove it.

The UCLA Players who were stars on the team last year aged out and are on the WNT or u23's. Cheney was u20 overage for the Pan Am games.

5. JuegoBonito

JuegoBonito New Member

Jan 15, 2008

Based on past success of UCLA players on the YNT, i am pretty sure Barnes and Wright would've been there if they had chosen to stay in the camp circuit. I think all indications were that they would have been welcomed. I think putting U20 WC team on their resume doesnt appear to be as important (to them, others might have different priorities) as putting "NCAA champion", which i assume is their motivation. These players have proven they belong on the YNTs for many years past so unless their play degraded considerably over the last months, i don't see that changing. That's all I am saying. I think both Keelin Winters and Becky Edwards look very strong and took advantage of their chances to prove they belong. Nothing was given to them, they earned it. Good for them. The dynamics of any YNT is a combination of scouting, performance and who is available and willing at the time the team is formed.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Happier result this time from England.

The same source on Pilotnation that gave the previous report informs that The u20's defeated the Chelsea ladies squad 2:1.

No further info.

7. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  8. Smashfoot

Smashfoot New Member

Feb 25, 2005
    In for this week's camp in Florida:
    U.S. Under-20 Women's National Team Training Camp Roster by Position
    GOALKEEPERS (4): Bianca Henninger (Santa Clara), Chantel Jones (Virginia), Alyssa Naeher (Penn State), Cat Parkhill (Minnesota)
    DEFENDERS (5): Kaley Fountain (Wake Forest), Lauren Fowlkes (Notre Dame), Liz Harkin (Arizona State), Nikki Marshall (Colorado), Elli Reed (Portland)
    MIDFIELDERS (4): Becky Edwards (Florida State), Meghan Klingenberg (North Carolina), Christine Nairn (Maryland), Ingrid Wells (Georgetown)
    FORWARDS (8): Kiersten Dallstream (Washington State), Gina DiMartino (Boston College), Michelle Enyeart (Portland), Sydney Leroux (UCLA), Alyssa Mautz (Texas A&M), Jessica McDonald (Glendale, Ariz.), Alex Morgan (California), Nikki Washington (North Carolina)

I believe only Portland and UNC have 2 players in camp. Rest have just 1.

9. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    thats three. mcdonald, washington, kling.

10. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How big of loss will that be for Portland?

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    you mean not having three players for the tournament? of course it will affect them, but there's pretty good depth on the team. They aren't going to fold the tent. The first and fourth leading scorers (both freshmen) will still be with them, and they still have a pretty good holding mid and outside defender in the wings.

Each of the UP underclassmen will attend only one of the camps. Winters sits out this time, Reed sits out the next one. Enyeart , being a junior, will attend both camps.

The reason? umm.... they go to college, and they didn't redshirt.

12. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Colorado's Nikki Marshall will miss Friday's match againt Oklahoma but will be back from camp in time for Sunday's match against Oklahoma State.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    USSoccer wire has the list for the next camp.

14. karanicole

karanicole Member

Jun 28, 2005
    So who is the last player not attending camp but traveling to Chile? Noyola?

15. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Will the Portland games be at Merlo Field? Any chance of arranging video coverage?

16. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far, no word to Portland fans on where the games will be played. Another possibility is at the Nike complex. But Merlo is not in use that weekend and would be a fantastic location for the games. With three Pilots on the squad, fan attendance should be very high.

17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  18. fanaticdefutbol8

Apr 16, 2008
    Word on the street is...Megan Jesolva of Cal Berkeley is on the U20s. Any truth to this rumor?

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    The USA-Canada game at the Nike complex ended 1:1

It was really more a scrimmage than a game, as both coaches handled it as such.

The US team will practice tomorrow at Nike, the Canadians will be at the Clive Charles Soccer complex at the University of Portland for two sessions.

Their second game together will be Saturday at noon at Ronaldo field at Nike.

20. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    You can see pictures of yesterday's USA-Canada u20 game here

Graciously provided by ohhh-yeah

21. leftfoot56

leftfoot56 New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Yes Megan Jesolva is now with the U 20s. It appears that Teresa Noyola will not be part of the U 20s in Chile,

22. fanaticdefutbol8

Apr 16, 2008
    Word on the street is U-18 AND U-20s will be holding a mixed camp at the HDC in two weeks...any news on whose invited?

23. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    No specifics but - there will be 48 players, across the U18-U20 age groups, including some standouts from the Interregional event in Coral Springs. It is the start of the cycle for the 2010 World Cups. I also heard there is a super camp for U15 and U16 around the same time.

What is HDC?

24. suremegsalot

suremegsalot New Member

May 11, 2007
    home depot center in carson, ca

25. UncleFugly

UncleFugly Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U18 group is comprised primarily of the U17 squad that went to NZ in the fall.