U20 callup data now online and viewable

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And 2013:

Torre Javan
    Decker Ethan
    Edwards Dakota
    Fender Holden
    Guzman Flavio
    Oliver Andrew
    Vogel Derek
    Wendelken Matt​

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Chasing down a few guys from '11 (91/92), I found a few (Hines-Ike, Palodichuk, Schoenle, Medrano Williams) working outside of soccer. Zack Foxhoven seems to be coaching. Don't think any of them ever signed pro contracts.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Winoman repped this.
  5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The '95 group has a few more professionals -- and the draft might (or might not, I suppose) give us a few more. Here are the unsigned:

Caldwell Jeff
    Dainkeh Sulaiman
    Duvernay Caleb
    Gasper Chase
    Haberkorn Trevor
    Lema Christopher
    Lopez-Espin Ricardo
    Markey Jalen
    Olsen Thomas
    Polley Miguel
    Sagel Robert
    Smith Caleb
    Wannemuehler Travis
    Winn Alan​

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #57 Dave Marino-Nachison, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    Ike Opara's start for the U.S. tonight brings the number of 89/90 U20 cycle caps to 12 (though three other guys in that age group have World Cup appearances but didn't play in the 2009 U20 cycle).

Looking over the rest of the guys from that group, it's pretty unlikely anyone emerges at this point -- though Taylor Kemp maybe has a a shot as a LB. A few other guys are arguably just outside the pool, but have been stuck there for a while.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Zack Steffen's appearance for the U.S tonight brings the number of 93/94 cycle capped players to 10. There could still be more additions depending on the subs.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Tonight's debuts for Delgado and Novakovich leaves the 2015 and 2013 U20 pools tied with 12 capped players apiece. (Weah gets an asterisk, because he hasn't been called into the U20s yet.) Both groups, of course, could see the numbers rise further.

10. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Last night's game gave first caps to Parks and Sargent from the 2017 U20 group; Sargent, of course, is already also part of the 2019 group. Bono had no U20 callups; neither did Robinson, for different reasons.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lfMvt087D65kHEJtitNuODh4dPgpKCQTi6Ae9VJ2c0g/edit?usp=sharing

Guido was evidently hurt, and has left camp, so no first shot for him to boost the 2013 numbers. But Shaq and DLT got called back in, which could further boost 2015 and 2017, respectively.

And the 2017 group seems likely to add more names soon. Glad is probably the most obvious; he was already called in. The list of what could be second/third groups seems pretty long.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...big-changes-for-ireland-and-france-friendlies

Winoman repped this.
  11. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Unless Sarachan brings some new, uncapped, players to the France game, we're done with debutants for this round of MNT matches -- which means that, as of right now, the 2015 U20 pool of 95/96 YOBs (meaning players actually called in during the U20 cycle, not just age-eligible players) is creeping toward the most-capped-players pool, according to my records. I think they'd need three more to take sole possession of the lead.

With that said, the most clear-cut candidates are all now capped; there are many who might break through, especially given the current state of U.S. Soccer. Here's who's left:

Allen Jordan
    Amick Michael
    Arce Jr. Fernando
    Ariyibi Gboly
    Bailey Kainoa
    Baird Corey
    Basuljevic Arun
    Bennett Louis
    Brody Andrew
    Caldwell Jeff
    Canouse Russell
    Castano Santiago
    Dainkeh Sulaiman
    Donovan Conor
    Duvernay Caleb
    Felipe Luis
    Flores Junior
    Fracchia Matias
    Gall Romain
    Gasper Chase
    Haberkorn Trevor
    Harkes Ian
    Hayes Jacori
    Iloski Brian
    Jamieson Bradford
    Lema Christopher
    Lickert Eric
    Lillard Grant
    Lopez Benji
    Lopez-Espin Ricardo
    Louro Evan
    Markey Jalen
    Martir Luis
    Moreno Armando
    Muhammad Saalih
    Muyl Alex
    Najem Adam
    Odoi-Atsem Chris
    Olsen Thomas
    Payne Desevio
    Pfeffer Zach
    Polley Miguel
    Reaves Kristoffer
    Redding Tommy
    Requejo Jr. John
    Robinson Herbert
    Rozhansky Jake
    Sagel Robert
    Scott Kristian
    Selemani Ahinga
    Smith Caleb
    Sonis Ethan
    Sonora Joel
    Spencer Ben
    Tall Maki
    Thompson Tommy
    Thompson Omar
    Turner Tyler
    Vasquez Jesus
    Villareal Jaime
    Wannemuehler Travis
    Winn Alan
    Yomba Dembakwi
    Zelalem Gedion​

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #62 Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 7, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    I haven't looked at this in a while, so may have missed some signings, but we can definitely scratch Jalen "Biz" Markey off the list. He signed with S2.

https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/947982

Here's what I have now for amateurs:

Dainkeh Sulaiman
    Duvernay Caleb
    Gasper Chase
    Haberkorn Trevor
    Polley Miguel
    Smith Caleb
    Wannemuehler Travis

Smith and Gaspar are seniors in college.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ben Sweat's appearance against Colombia puts the 2011 U20 pool (91/92 plus some 93s) at 16 capped players. Of those, 6 have WCQ appearances and 1 has made a World Cup roster. At this point it's perhaps more likely that another guy gets a WCQ appearance than another guy gets a first cap, though maybe someone sneaks into the latter group.

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Cannon and Long weren't part of their respective U20 pools, so their debuts don't lift their "class" numbers. Amon's cap means, technically, two guys (him and Sargent) have been capped from the current group, though Adams and Weah (who haven't been called in this cycle for perhaps-obvious reasons) may be added at some point.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  15. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And MNUFC signed Gaspar. So I'm thinking it's down to these guys from 2015 who didn't go pro, unless I missed someone:

Dainkeh Sulaiman
    Duvernay Caleb
    Haberkorn Trevor
    Polley Miguel
    Smith Caleb
    Wannemuehler Travis​

I haven't looked at the 2017 pool in a while but I know those non-pro numbers are dwindling too.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Caleb Smith signed with Pittsburgh, so the list keeps shrinking...

17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #67 Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    And Duvernay just signed with NCFC. So by my count, this pool only lacks contracts for Dainkeh, Haberkorn, Polley, and Wannemuehler to be 100% professional (defined by % of guys who signed at least one pro outdoor contract).

Separately, Berhalter's current MNT pool doesn't include any first-timers, so the "at least 1 cap" numbers aren't going anywhere for a while. I don't track the U23 program for U20 purposes, though i will note those callups separately.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's what might be a current list of 2017 pool players who haven't signed pro contracts. What did I miss?

Lopez Leo
    Morris Jake
    Bashti Amir
    Bell Jonathan
    Borges Marcello
    Burns David
    Jones Malcolm
    Kelly Jeremy
    Martin Henry
    Pelaez Pablo
    Pineda Mauricio
    Popovic Nebojsa "Nash"
    Salas Martin
    Silva Diego
    Suddoth Toni
    Terwege Brandon
    Wilson Sean
    Winter Abu​

19. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Andrew Lombard former NYRB

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Sorry -- should've been more clear. If they are not on the list I published above, then I've already noted that they went pro at some point. If you see anybody above who also has, that's what I'm hoping to add...

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Have I missed pro contracts for any of these players?

Bashti Amir
    Bell Jonathan
    Borges Marcello
    Burns David
    Jones Malcolm
    Kelly Jeremy
    Lopez Leo
    Martin Henry
    Morris Jake
    Pelaez Pablo
    Pineda Mauricio
    Popovic Nebojsa "Nash"
    Salas Martin
    Silva Diego
    Suddoth Toni
    Terwege Brandon
    Wilson Sean
    Winter Abu​

23. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Decker ended up signing with Swope Park as "Vanacore-Decker," adding to the list of America's most-prominent hyphenated players. Go, guys, go!

That leaves this short list of non-pro 2013 U20s:

Edwards Dakota
    Fender Holden
    Guzman Flavio
    Oliver Andrew
    Vogel Derek
    Wendelken Matt​

At this point, this data point is largely uninteresting. The percentage of guys getting U.S. U20 callups who don't turn pro is really, really small.

Winoman repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The Miles Robinson cap brings the number of players from the 2017 U20 pool with U.S. match appearances to 13, not counting Pulisic, who didn't participate.

The number of clear-cut candidates to be added to that list is shrinking, though there are certainly several guys who might get in at some point, and perhaps even contribute -- Sabbi, for example.

Lots of these guys are busy with the U23s, too.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    And of course Dest became the fourth player from the 2019 pool to get capped, not counting Adams.