U2 on SNL

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by fatmaradona, Nov 21, 2004.

1. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    always a solid effort from these fellas

and of course they cut out the last song here---anyone know what it was?

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Damn, missed it.

Haven't watched that show begining to end in a couple years now.

3. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Sounded like something I've heard before. And on an Arrested Development note anyone notice when he went over and hugged wife of GOB and she was crying, and then the camera came back later and Maya was crying too, if Bono can make female celebrities cry tears of joy I wonder if he can cause the average woman to orgasim.

4. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    It was "All Because of You."

From http://www.atu2.com/

NEW @U2 U2 ON SNL
    November 21, 2004
    posted by: LP

U2 was the musical guest for the late-night US comedy show Saturday Night Live last night, playing an unprecedented four songs. They opened with Vertigo, then followed with Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own, and I Will Follow. As the credits were rolling, you could hear Bono say "One more!" then the band broke into what appeared to be All Because of You as NBC ended the broadcast. Musical guests on the show generally only perform two songs, so the live audience definitely received a treat.

5. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Am I the only one who felt this band looked old?

Watching Bono girate on that stage durring the first song made me cringe. Maybe it's me but this is the first time I felt U2 were trying to damn hard.

Maybe it's just me.

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I missed the show. However, I'm 42. I think Bono is at least three or four years older than I am. Of course they look old. But all of them look better than Joey Ramone does right about now. :D

Funny that I should just now notice this thread. I just finished ripping Pop and Achtung Baby to my new iPod, and I'm in the process of ripping all the other U2 CDs I own (Under a Blood Red Sky, Boy, War, Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire, All That You Leave Behind, The Joshua Tree, and both greatest hits CDs).

Edit - hmm, where the hell did my copy of Zoorapa go?

7. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    What do you expect? The guys came out in the late 70's. Its 2004. Even if the guys were 18 when they broke out they are now in their mid 40's. How many "Young Looking" mid 40 year olds do you know?

8. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    thats not exactly what I meant.

It just looks like they're trying too hard to still be that band of 30 year olds. Instead of being a band of 40 somethings.

9. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    What, no Pop? And as for your copy of Zooropa, check your bar where you keep your coasters.

10. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch

I don't agree at all, they come out and still play with effort and intensity, and that isn't because they are trying to act young, just giving the audience a show they're proud of----unlike say, Ashlee Simpson, who is an embarassment.

I'll take geraitric U2 over any of the young pop crap that has made its way to that stage.

11. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Right. who cares how old they are? They're having fun and the fans are having fun.

12. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, just as long as they take a lesson from the Rolling Stones touring until one of them dies and hang it up before they start collecting Social Security (or the British/Irish equivalent). U2 is great, as long as they keep making great music, they can look like rockin' old farts as long as they want to.

13. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That was an amazing performance.

I just wish my NBC affiliate didn't have a burning need to show an infomercial instead of U2's 4th song.

14. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Well, Bono may look old, but Larry Mullen Jr. looks like he's in his mid-20's or so.

15. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Not learning how to play the bass well is apparently the key to youth, if so I have something to look forward to in my 40's.

16. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    "I just finished ripping Pop and Achtung Baby to my new iPod. . ."

:)

I'll grant you that it's not my favorite U2 release, but I'm a completist. Which I think means I have OCD.

17. bergkamp10

bergkamp10 New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
  18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC