U17s to Costa Rica and Argentina

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Werdman89, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-17-MNT/2010/06/US-U17-MNT-Depart-for-Costa-Rica-and-Argentina.aspx

One person to note is Danny Zaid, who is from Guatamala City. It'll be interesting to see how the residency "trialists" play during the tour.

2. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is interesting...Zaid sounds like an Arabic name. I wonder how he ended up in Guatemala.

3. Who is this guy?

Dec 13, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Allegedly. ;)

He doesn't even know himself, how old he is. :eek:

5. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    In any case, he's clearly not been dropped from the U17 program -- unless, perhaps, they don't intend to play him in any more international matches at this age level. (Which I doubt, since then they probably wouldn't have brought him on a trip that has largely to do with international matches.)

Also interesting to see Guido with this team, since he seems to be very much of interest to both the U.S. and Mexico.

Here's an article with some background on the Guatemala City program:

http://tds.tarainteractive.com/inde...me=Guatemalan team comes to Surf Cup annually

I would guess that there's more than one player with American blood involved there. Zaid, for his part, came to the U.S. with the club for Surf Cup last year, according to that link.

6. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What interest have you found from Mexico? I only remember him suiting up for us.

7. TheBrand

TheBrand Member

Oct 7, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. fan4futbol

fan4futbol New Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guido and 2 other So Cal players in this year's Residency Spring semester have been scouted and attended Mexico's FMF training camps at the U15 level.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I'm glad Koroma is still in the mix.

10. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

umm,What?

11. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the high school coach of midfielder Aldo Alvarez(Ontario, CA) on the u-17 roster. I can vouch that he is a true gem. He single-handedly scored a hat trick in the last five minutes of our last tournament while we were down to win the game for us! We won 3-1. He has skill and finess that American player's dont generally have. He WILL succeed if he can be mentally and physically strong enough. The US needs to bring him in because the FMF have already taken a look at him.

Edited: He scored for the US v Argentina from the spot in the 44th minute!

12. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA!! Whos the best now!:cool:

14. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the info, I'm sure the US will do everything possible to keep him. I'm not sure how much longer he'll be on your team though since it sounds like he impressed and could be invited into residency. Updates are always appreciated.

15. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    Argentina lost to the USA by 2 goals first goal was scored by Kellen Gulley in the 19th minute and the second goal was scored off a penalty by Aldo Magana in the 44th minute

and i guess today the USA play Uruguay

17. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Who is Aldo Magana?

18. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Aldo Alvarez(see above posts), probably just messed up with the name.

19. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember in december wondering what in the world happened to our U17s, who lost to a brazilian u15 squad. I'll eat my crow, thank you.

20. bigbelly

bigbelly New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    How ignorant can you be? Maybe I should not be so harsh with you, let me clarify it for you.

The title of these teams ALL of them is U17, yet that does not mean they are 17 they are in fact 15,16 and to help you a bit I will tell you that the Brazil team you saw had players older that ours but still u17, now with all that said:
    We are doing good now but it does not mean we are there, this bunch have more balls than the last one for the simple reason that they do not have super stars and they know they have to give everything all the time.
    Let's hope they keep training hard and for the coaches to find the missing pieces to elevate the level of the team.

21. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the last U17 cycle, I followed them very closely. So after getting embarassed and not seeing anything I liked in December, I dropped off. So I do apologize if you are offended or feel wronged by my incidental ignorance

22. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    hope this is not a sign of things to come with the full team.