U17 World Cup 2023

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by r0adrunner, May 28, 2023.

1. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes it was, the best game of the tournament for sure.

Germany just beat France to win the title after surviving a spirited France comeback from 2-0 down to tie it at 2-2 after Germany were reduced to 10 players after a sending off.

Germany repeated the trick from May and beat France on penalties.

It is Germany's first U17 title and they become the first team to win the UEFA and FIFA U17 titles in the same year!

Mali came third after beating Argentina comfortably for the bronze medals.

Paris Brunner of Germany took the Golden Ball.

From the next edition in 2025 the U17WC will be held annually and feature 48 teams.

HomietheClown repped this.
  2. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats Germany, hard luck France. Germany's hero on the night was goalkeeper Konstantin Heide... does that mean he will always be playing youth soccer as he's a "constant-teen"? :thumbsdown:

r0adrunner repped this.
  3. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    It is a shame that Prestianni and Domenech did not play. Also, Placente couldn't find a way to fit both Mastuonto and Echeverri on the same pitch, and that's understandable because it is like a Riquelme/Aimar situation.

4. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    IDK if I've ever seen Germany lose on penalties before. They are so mentally strong in these moments.

r0adrunner repped this.
  5. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    2016 Olympic final against Brazil. I think that is the only one on any level since the 1970s, though I do not follow all the U-whatever tournaments in Europe.

Cosmin10 and r0adrunner repped this.
  6. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Award winners
    adidas Golden Ball: Paris Brunner (GER)
    adidas Silver Ball: Hamidou Makalou (MAL)
    adidas Bronze Ball: Mathis Amougou (FRA)

adidas Golden Boot: Agustin Ruberto (ARG)
    adidas Silver Boot: Ibrahim Diarra (MAL)
    adidas Bronze Boot: Claudio Echeverri (ARG)

adidas Golden Glove: Paul Argney (FRA)

FIFA Fair Play Trophy: England

(FIFA)

7. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Most famously West Germany lost the EURO 76 final on penalties to Czechoslovakia.

8. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    That's fair. I just remember the stereotype that England had never won a shootout until Colombia and Germany seldom loses.

9. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Singapore / Malaysia I completely get as you drive from one to the other, but don't see why Indonesia don't just host on their own.

11. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wondered that too, then I thought it might be a way of accommodating Israel if they qualify again after what happened this year!

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha ha I was about to post that too! And if they go on another deep run like they did to the latter stages, you'll see a lot of Singapore

r0adrunner repped this.
  13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    IASocFan and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loco and IASocFan repped this.
  15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    FIFA are so out of touch with football fans and, well, everything really. Even in that short article they write about all the money FIFA are receiving alongside a picture of their President's ugly mug laughing right into the camera. Looks like Dr. Evil! lol wtf?

16. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    This is how you disguise 3 consecutive biannual tournaments for the same country, and 4 consecutive biannual ones for the same confederation.

Looking beyond FIFA's favoritism with QAT+AFC, qualifiers calendars will need a revamp:
    - Due to confed size, 4 of 6 confeds defined WC participants across 6+ months, where CAF uses a 11-month calendar.
    - Same 4 confeds ran extended qualifiers across months that will be blocked by u17WC.

Qualifiers length per confed:
    - AFC (Oct 2022 - Jul 2023; 27 actual days: 9 prelim + 18 final)
    - CAF (Jun 2022 - May 2023; 243 actual: 222 prelim + 21 final)
    - CONCACAF (Aug 2022 - Feb 2023; 26 actual: 10 prelim + 16 final)
    - CONMEBOL (Mar 2022 - Apr 2023; 25 actual: 25 final)
    - OFC (Jan 2023; 18 actual: 18 final)
    - UEFA (Oct 2022 - Jun 2023; 88 actual: 49 prelim1 + 22 prelim2 + 17 final)

It is uncertain whether this will be detrimental to CAF. The potential to streamline its youth qualifier calendar is there.

17. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    The world youth calendar will have no space/funds for intercontinental playoffs, so OFC will retain two u17WC slots.

FIFA can certainly improve u17WC quality by reassigning OFC slot #2. It was awarded to OFC since the 2017 edition, taking UEFA allocation from 6 to 5.

Ever since, OFC slot #2 took home the worst goal differential at the world stage:
    2017 (-11), 2019 (-20), 2021/pandemic, 2023 (-24).

Maybe FIFA prefers OFC cannon fodder in u17WC, to effective growth of youth football.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Perhaps I am missing something, but since the tournament is doubling in size from 24 to 48 teams, I don't think any region will be seeing a reduction in their allocation. They might just go with the same allocation as the FIFA (senior) World Cup (with the 2 playoff spots going to OFC and the host - AFC).

r0adrunner repped this.
  19. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    These youth tournament were a bit of a joke already, now they are a complete farce.

Its my understanding that there is no real enforcement for youth players to be released by clubs. Further, the players that did compete weren't always the true "best world youth talent" bc some countries' stars tend to shine brighter when they are young, and the big clubs that invest in the players wouldn't want to release them for kiddie tourneys.

Further, you have to think of the young player. A true blue chip talent might start to fighting for minutes in their clubs, which if they shine, it will get them paid. But if the young player tells their manager that they need to be released for the youth NT, adios minutes with the club's senior team.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't know what the stats say, but what you say seems to apply more to the U20 world cup than the U17 one. Are there really so many under-17 kids that big clubs already depend on heavily such that they can't release them for a few weeks to gain valuable experience?

21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Not many, however if you are getting minutes in a good professional league at 16/17 years of age you will probably benefit more from that than a youth tournament. If your only playing at under 18 level then I think the tournament is of more value.

22. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Even the players U-17 who are not getting minutes with their senior club team, have roles to play in the youth club. And those players don't want to upset the club. That's why so many of the countries that have the talent to win the senior WC, don't really feature that well in the youth tournaments and vice versa - because their talents are being developed.

The youth tournaments in general are a water-down version of the true talents from some nations. And now adding so many more games/and cycles, its only going to water down the product even more.

almango repped this.
  23. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Let us hope that senior WC allocations are not replicated in youth football. As more second-string UEFA sides will show up for the sake of competing.

Senior allocations in a youth tournament will be embarrassing as well. Youth WCs were created to encourage growth of the sport outside of UEFA.

Comparison of direct WC slots, 23 youth vs 45 senior:

AFC 4 vs 8 (+4 or 100% gain)
    CAF 4 vs 9 (+5 or 125% gain)
    CCAF 4 vs 5 (+1 or 25% gain)
    CBOL 4 vs 6 (+2 or 50% gain)
    OFC 2 vs 1 (-1 or 50% loss)
    UEFA 5 vs 16 (+11 or 220% gain)

24. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm comfortable with representation being on an equal basis between confederations. Obviously some small adjustments need to be made because two of the confederations have small numbers, and one of them is relatively weak. Here is my proposal breaking the world up into roughly 4 groups

UEFA 55 members
    CAF 54 members (52 FIFA affiliated)
    AFC 47 members (46 FIFA affiliated)
    CONCACAF 41 members (35 FIFA affiliated)
    OFC 13 members (11 FIFA affiliated)
    CONMEBOL 10

I would allocate 12 spots to UEFA, 12 to CAF, 12 between AFC and OFC and 12 to the American confederations. These groupings have between 45 and 57 FIFA members in the group. I'm not advocating combined qualifications, just a breakup of the 12 spots between the confederations grouped together. They could have a playoff for the last spot between them if desired.

This gives me

UEFA 12
    CAF 12
    AFC 9 + 1
    OFC 2 + 1
    CONCACAF 6 + 1
    CONMEBOL 5 + 1

Host spot comes out of allocation although if we are going to have hosts 5 years in a row I would make them qualify for the last 4 tournaments.

Every Four Years and BocaFan repped this.
  25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Maybe you are thinking of the U20 WC? In the last U17, four of the group winners came from UEFA, plus both finalists. Similar success in the U17 WC before that one. So I don't think those were second-string UEFA sides. Or if they were, the ROW has problems.

But yeah, 16 spots for UEFA is probably a bit much. Maybe 12-13 would be fair.

Every Four Years repped this.