U17 postscript - early report for new cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by GersMan, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Karl,

Normally I will agree with you to have $2M to prepare for couple future national teamsters. But in this case, this $2M is belong to a plan we called Project 2010. I don't think we are up to the task. The modification is not that difficult. Just change three coaching stuffs.

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Normally, I'm a pretty hands-off mod. This was a perfectly good discussion until you guys started to get personal and call each other bad words. Rather than lock the thread, I've just tossed the garbage in the recycle bin, and will give you all a chance to get back to the point at hand. Please.

3. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Sue, no problem, but if someone misprepresents my position, and does so repeatedly with malice aforethought, and continues to unjustifably attack my arguments because "they" know better...why, I am coming down HARD, and there will be no holds barred.

Meanwhile, for reference, here is the MLSNet link on the weight room at Manchester United.

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/oped0916lewis.html

As evidence to the TRULY naive about professional training, that weightlifiting is a part of an all-around regime.

So, for those who dismiss weightlifting out of hand, while one of the world's greatest clubs uses it as part of regular training....well, what does that say about them, and what does that say about you?

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I just had a flashback to my comic book reading days. No quarter was asked...never mind.

Karl - what kind of weight training do ManU field players do?

5. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Weight training isn't evil................................................evil weight training is evil.

6. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    to quote Grace Slick at Altamont: "Let's just have some PEACE and QUIET"

of course the Hell's Angels were beating the snot out of Marty Balin at the time, so I guess THAT didn't work.

(pardon my 60s minutae reference - it just came to mind for some reason :)

voros - thanks for your comments. It gives me something to think about. I agree with Femfa that there tends to be some editorial slant in most feature writing. I honestly didn't mean to be snide in my comment.

My feeling is that:

1. fans have a legitimate reason to ask about the style of play, so I did ask that question,and I printed his answer, and I'll leave the reader to form an opinion on what he said.

2. there is no basis to "feel" we should have gotten a result against Spain or Brazil or that we should have gotten to point X in the tournament. That's what I was taking a swipe at.

voros - what you said about needing a point vs having a better draw- very good point and I should have asked it.

by the way - i've got a blueprint for national youth soccer up now - and that is PURE editorial. I'd be interested in your thoughts on another thread.

sueb - you are so hands off that I didn't even know you were moderating this board!

7. Isisbud

Isisbud New Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Encinitas
    Ok, since this guy refuses to quit, I will also continue, since my point has been misrepresented by this Karl guy.

1. For the second time, I have played professionally, and you insist on repeatedly calling me naive about professional training. How odd.

2. Every professional club has a weightroom. Also notice in your link, Karl, that the weightroom is sandwiched right between mentions of the squash court and hydrotherapy pool. Now, Karl, you have never played pro, and you list ONE article that mentions a weight room. I'm sure you've looked, why haven't you listed Man U's lifting regimen? Surely if it is such a vital part of training, someone somewhere should list approximately which weight-lifting excersizes and which weights they lift. No? Yeah, I've Googled "weight-lifting/weight-training/football/soccer" too, and the reason that the only training regimens come up are for college and women's soccer is because they are the only ones that weight-lift systematically.

3. Now, what do pro soccer players do in the weight room? Well, let's see--resistence training, plyometrics, various cardio-measurements, BF measurements, rope-jumping, standard situp, pushups, medicine ball work, flex training, injury recovery, a whole lot of sitting around and chatting with your mates. Do guys here lift? Not that much, and NEVER at an age younger than 19/20. What's that much? Typically nothing over 20lbs, as a general rule, and except for injury recovery, never legs. Now, there are players on the team who do lift more than the "average" player. Guys that play weak are asked to do some lifting. This is a coaches recommendation--for instance, the boniest skinniest guy on our team did not lift, but he was tough as nails, and no one could move him off the ball, whereas another player on our team was asked to lift--he was not that skinny or anything, but simply would be weak on the ball on the field of play. Goalkeepers lift--not sure exactly what and how much they are asked to lift, but they were usually off doing their own thing, so I can't speak too much to that--though they do lift more than field players.

4. Since you call me naieve on two seperate occassions on this thread, Karl, soccerdad, having never played anything, and I quote you:

"I never played competitive soccer growing up. But having watched a lot of youth soccer over the past 6 years...and having read lots of books and seen lots of videos, and seen about a couple dozen MLS games in person, and countless more...on TV...and having attended coach's clinics and licensing, and gotten my Grade 8 referee's license, I guess I do have at least a modest perspective on the whole enterprise."

This is YOUR experience.
    With THIS experience you are telliing me, how the hell to train in soccer? Calling me naieve. Good god, what is wrong with you?

Triple E

8. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. We're done here.