U13G Region II Champs Denied MRL Premier

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by the_north_cat, Nov 8, 2007.

1. the_north_cat

the_north_cat New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Interesting...

http://www.roadtoregionals.com/9394g-journal/

Seems a bit unfair as MN has fall high school soccer to deal with and, I'm assuming that since the team is strong, had numerous girls playing HS soccer.

Doesn't Ohio had fall soccer as well? Yet I see 3 teams on the girl's side.

http://www.region2.com/MRL/news/Photos/U14 Premier Teams as of 10-28-07.pdf

Anyone have any thoughts about this? I would think that the MRL, touting the best teams, best competition, blah, blah, blah, would want the Region Champs from the previous year involved. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems silly to mandate fall participation as a prereq for summer Premier league play given all the variance in hs soccer seasons across the region, but I guess they're their rules to make.

2. beautifulgame11

beautifulgame11 New Member

May 16, 2005
    The bottom line is he missed the application dead line. Its a stupid rule, and his team is being railroaded a bit....but he didn't get the paperwork done and missed the deadline, as stupid as it is, a league like MRL can afford to be a pain about it because everyone wants in.

Also, as U14's shouldnt most of their team be in 8th grade this year?!?! How many high school kids do they have??

3. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Based upon the way birthdates/entry to kindergarten works pretty much throughout the US, I would say that none of the kids were 9th graders....I would guess that most are 7th graders. I have a 92 kid who is actually a U15 this year because she was born after September 1 (which is the cutoff for school enrollment for most States). I would venture a guess that the HS issue was not in play. Sounds as if it was a timing/admin issue that kept them out. Nothing is automatic.....gotta do the paperwork.

It is a shame, really.....but it is what it is. The most interesting thing to me is that normally I would read about something like this on the MN Girls Soccer blog (I am sure the original poster knows about this website). What happened to it? It appears to be gone, any knowledge of what happened?

4. PERFDBDAN

PERFDBDAN New Member

May 6, 2004
    We played them earlier this season. I think they have four girls in High School. The girls in high school under Minnesota rules cannot play with their club teams from Labor Day till the high school season ends. We had to reschedule our games so they could work around their high school schedule. I believe one is in ninth grade, and the others are in the 8th grade, but play for their high school teams.

5. the_north_cat

the_north_cat New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    PERF, where did you guys meet these guys? This past fall?

Menace, I don't know if the MIA girls soccer blog is "the most interesting" piece here, but no one seems to know what happened to it. There was a lot of anti-Shattuck talk of late, so as you can imagine some rumors are surfacing. The moderator has been in and out of town all fall so it just might be some technical difficulties that he/she hasn't gotten around to addressing.

I don't think the current question is missing the deadline. The team only tried to make fall MRL work because they saw all the other teams taking part and wanted to get in after the fact. You can read about this in the coach's earlier blog entries.

They had 8 HS players. IMO, not really a stretch to comprehend when you realize that you're talking about a top regional team.

Got to get the paper work in, that's for sure, but I don't think that anyone thought foregoing fall MRL would affect their summer placement.

The issue here is that MN state officials supposedly providing the team with information about MRL did not know the rules and restrictions of the MRL. And that's too bad for the kids.

I know the coach of the girls and I know what his interest is - finding the best early competition possible in prep for their State Cup run. He's not the one to cry over lost causes nor is he the one to think that his team should be entitled to anything. I'm he'll try and make the best of it.

Is it true what he says about regional champs at the older age groups automatically qualifying for national leagues?

Anyway, the 14 Girls Premier League looks tough. Hawks or SLSC? Anyone? Anyone?

6. PERFDBDAN

PERFDBDAN New Member

May 6, 2004
    We played them in friendlies we had arranged in Minnesota in mid August. Some of the Bangu girls had high school practice and we agreed to change the game time to accomodate their conflcit.

Mark is a good coach in every sense of the word as are many of the other people associated with Bangu.

7. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    What? Negative comments about Shattuck on that website? :eek: I suppose that the same mafia-type powers that S-SM wields to modify Minnesota Youth soccer and USYSA rules probably shut the website down due to the negative comments......conspiracy theorists unite!

Seriously though...why would someone in 8th grade decide to play soccer for thier HS based upon the Minnesota rules governing this? They are only allowed to play four years (including the 8th grade year). Why would you play your 8th grade year only to sit out one of your later years? The rules seem pretty clear about this....they do differ in Iowa. My kid played one game last season (Spring sport in Iowa) as an 8th grader, but in Iowa the kids can have 5 seasons of eiligibility in soccer and softball.

8. eltoro

eltoro New Member

Jun 22, 2005

9. the_north_cat

the_north_cat New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    eltoro, you're exactly right. Success at regionals requires a lot of luck and good bounces, and regional champs one year by no means mean regional prowess the next. But what about my point that success at regionals allows for automatic acceptance into the national leagues at the older age groups?

I don't agree about the guest players though as taking 1/2 a team of the club's second team players, picking from those who didn't choose to play HS soccer, would have weakened the team significantly. They probably thought (apparently based on State officials) that they would stand a better chance of petitioning to play in the Premier league the following year. You're also right that this seems a case of lending too much credance to State officials' words rather than seeking direct interpretation from MRL. Too bad for them, but the 1st Div won't be a cake walk for them.

Menace, I don't know about the 4 year eligibility rule. I don't think we have that in place or these players would have hopefully been informed by their high school ADs. In soccer espscially, we've seen younger players (8th graders) play varsity for 5 years in recent history, so unless the state HS league has changed something... There is a 7th grader from this group playing varsity as well.

As for the SSM issue, they are completely within their rights to partner with the tiny soccer association in their area (Faribault SA) and field teams legally in MN State Cup. The shame here is that this will really impact the opportunity for true Minnesota kids to experience regionals at the older age groups and it's a shame that SSM can recruit and offer $35K scholarships to attract players in, then put them on the same playing field as Minnesota community kids.

10. KCM2

KCM2 New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Forgive my ignorance here, but this is something that had not occurred to me. So, girls that play HS in the spring won't be able to play in the MRL league? What do teams do? Do the seasons overlap? I have a daughter who will be HS next year who's team currently plays in the MRL U-14, just curious how all this works itself out? Thx

11. the_north_cat

the_north_cat New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I could be wrong here, but I think that's why the MRL loses some steam at the older age groups in the summer. Too many kids from too many states involved with HS soccer. I don't know for sure, but that's what I've heard.

12. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Here in Mass. some smaller school systems allow their high school teams to draw players from their junior high. The Mass Interscholastic Athletic Association allows this if the junior high and high school are on the same campus and do not have separate administrators. Many U13 and U14 teams in the less populated central, western and Cape Cod areas of the state have the same problem, although I don't think the teams that play in the Region 1 leagues would be included among them. Most of those kids are willing to forego high school soccer in the fall to continue training and playing with their club teams. Perhaps coincidentally, most of the teams are located in eastern Mass.

13. PERFDBDAN

PERFDBDAN New Member

May 6, 2004
    KC -

At U15 and above the MRL offers separate League competitions for Fall and Spring. If you look at the teams commited for the spring you will see they come from States that play fall high school soccer. http://www.region2.com/MRL/news/Photos/MRL Spring 2008 Qualified Premier Division Teams 6-26-07.pdf

Your team will play fall MRL. You will not play club soccer in the spring, unless the Kansas State High School Activities Association rules change.

If you look at the MRL Rule 5.02, you will see that the winner of the Premier division in Girls play in the fall receives a pass to Regionals and the winner inthe spring receives a pass for ages U15-18.

As to the winner of "Regionals" advancing to the National League, the National League Rules - not MRL rules - currently provide that the top two times in the highest division of the Regional Leagues will be invited to participate in the USYS National League. For this year it is U15 and U16, meaning last year's U14 and U15 teams were invited. Winning the Regional II National Championship Series Tournament does not gain a team admission to the National League.

14. KCM2

KCM2 New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Thanks Perf!! I was thinking you had to play in the fall to qualify for the spring, but it looks like that is just for U14. So, at U15 and up, teams pick their alternate from high school season to play the MRL - got it! Forgot that at U15, you didn't need to play both seasons.

It will be a big change next year for the girls and interesting to see how they handle the level of play in HS. I know they'll have a blast with it, but hope they flow well with the differences in the level. I'm looking forward to it I know and expect to learn somethings next year.. :)

15. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    It seems pretty clear, but maybe there is a way around it.....here is the by-law governing the number of seasons play is allowed (this is the Minnesota by-law specfically)....

BYLAW 109.00 SEASONS OF PARTICIPATION
    1) Cross Reference: Bylaw 101 (Age), Bylaw 110 (Semesters Enrolled), Board Policy 109 and Bylaw 208 (Definition #8)

1. Students may not participate in more than one interscholastic season in a given sport in each school year or more than four seasons in any sport while enrolled in grades 9 to 12.

MAYBE the catch is the last part of that statement "in grades 9 to 12". It doesn't address what happens when an 8th grader is thrown into the mix, so who knows?

16. akaasa

akaasa New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    St Paul, MN
    I would believe that the rule only applies to grades 9-12. There have been some great girl hs hockey players who started as 7th graders and set a lot of scoring records during their 6 year careers. I had a couple of girls from my last years U12 team play hs this fall as 7th graders. For their sake, and their hs soccer programs sake, I would hate to see them have to miss their last two years of hs.

17. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    It is somewhat difficult to believe that even a great U13 could possibly contribute postively to a varsity HS team? That would be a U13 competing against U18s and seems like a huge stretch! Even with great ball skills....it seems on the surface that they would have difficulty hanging with the much larger, stronger, and probably faster U18s? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

18. the_north_cat

the_north_cat New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I agree MF. I believe only 3 or 4 of the 8 truly had any sort of impact with their varsity squads. The rest were in between varsity and JV, or playing up with 10th grade teams. IMO, the one who likely contributed the most was the 7th grader, if you can believe that.

Mommy and daddy wanted little Suzie to play in the big HS program. What they fail to understand is that 1) there is plenty of time for that in the coming years, and 2) the development they would have had within their club program would have outweighed that which they saw with their HS squads just based on the sheer variance of skill levels in the HS program. I'm sure MN is not the only state that has issues like this and I'm sure many HS coaches would disagree with me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for HS soccer as there are many benefits from participation. But for a team like this, it has obviously worked against where they want to go.

19. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Its simple really, that blog site is bashing the SSM kids because they do not want to stay at home and be forced to play HS soccer, instead, they go to a true academy and train yr round in the perfect enviroment, maybe, and this isnt just for the MN girls, but if club teams decide as a team to play MRL year round maybe things might be a bit different. Maybe not? Dont just blame SSM because they are offering year round training, but put a bit of the blame on the committment, or lack of, of some of the club girls up in MN. Look at Eclipse, most of the girls pass on HS ball. And Iv been see'ing the IMG teams starting to get some rankings now as well. So it's not just SSM that is doing something right. Most of the girls mentioned in the piece below are playing for top D1 programs..All are from the Chicago area. So if the parents want to bash SSM, then I would also encourage them to bash Eclipse as well, since they are training year round. And there is nothing wrong with that. Is there?

Come on Menace, you started this..
    March 12, 2006

BY JOE TROST

HIGH SCHOOLS GIVING GROUND TO GIRLS SOCCER
    For a brief moment last June, Michele Weissenhofer was living a dream.

There she stood June 4, looking at the Neuqua Valley fans celebrating after the Wildcats shocked New Trier for the Class AA girls soccer state title.

Weissenhofer and her teammates had pulled off an unbelievable second-half comeback, rallying from a 3-0 deficit to earn a 6-3 victory that ended the Trevians' 88-game unbeaten streak against Illinois teams.

That game has been described by many as one of the greatest state finals, and Weissenhofer led the charge with three goals.

SKIPPING SCHOOL

A list of the area's top girls soccer players opting for club instead of high school this spring:

Seniors
    Amanda Clark, Neuqua Valley
    Jenny Green, Palatine
    Wes Johnson, St. Charles North
    Brittany McCoy, Loyola
    Chelsea Potts, Waubonsie Valley
    Jackie Santacaterina, Geneva
    Lauren Switzer, St. Charles North
    Michele Weissenhofer, Neuqua Valley
    Becky Zirlin, Niles West

Juniors
    Kerry Broderick, Jacobs
    Bethany Brown, Vernon Hills
    Kaitlin Bujak, St. Viator
    Alex Burzynski, Neuqua Valley
    Catherine Del Medico, Maine South
    Kali Feiereisel, Libertyville
    Alex Flis, Fremd
    Kristen Granath, Fremd
    Erica Iantorno, Hinsdale Central
    Brittany Johnson, St. Viator
    Janina Locascio, Fremd
    Kelsey Lynch, St. Ignatius
    Maddie Kawa, Hinsdale Central
    Taylor Miller, Benet
    Lauren Pasquesi, Highland Park
    Brittany Potts, Waubonsie Valley
    Jessica Price, Vernon Hills
    Caitlin Rehder, Maine West
    Nicole Staton, Grant
    Cory Steigerwald, Stevenson
    Christine Steinmetz, St. Viator
    Tara Strickland, Libertyville
    Lauren Thut, Stevenson

Sophomores
    Emily Anding, Barrington
    Tori Bachette, Hinsdale Central
    Kelly Butler, Neuqua Valley
    Amanda Cacciatore, Glenbrook South
    Kaitlin Denis, Barrington
    Katie Doyle, St. Charles East
    Jackie Drees, Hersey
    Jill Dunn, Neuqua Valley
    Carolyn Edwards, Stevenson
    Julie Ewing, Batavia
    Jamie Forbers, St. Charles North
    Arie Foster, Fremd
    Melanie Geiser, Geneva
    Rachelle Holt, St. Viator
    Katrina Jakobsze, Fremd
    Lauren Klopmeyer, St. Charles North
    Lauren Levitt, Naperville Central
    Kelsey Miller, Barrington
    Ellen Murphy, Lincoln-Way Central
    Susie O'Connor, Antioch
    Lindsey Page, Marist
    Brooke Patterson, Glenbrook South
    Kelli Pawelka, Lemont
    Hannah Peterson, Lincoln-Way Central
    Susie Plager, Fremd
    Laura Romberg, Vernon Hills
    Bri Santacaterina, Geneva
    Carly Samp, Barrington
    Sarah Sroka, Geneva
    Natalie Stone, New Trier
    Susan Szymczak, St. Viator
    Erin Tedesco, Fenwick
    Vicki Traven, St. Charles North
    Caitlin Wagener, Libertyville

Freshmen
    Nicole Aiello, St. Viator
    Erica Aquino, Glenbrook South
    Jessica Arabia, Naperville North
    Jenny Butler, Neuqua Valley
    Emily Butrym, Libertyville
    Libby Cooper, Batavia
    Alexa Gaul, Neuqua Valley
    Chelsea Grant, Mundelein
    Ali Hall, Stevenson
    Stephanie Iantorno, Hinsdale Central
    Haley Krentz, Naperville North
    Megan LeBaron, Grayslake
    Lauren Mathy, New Trier
    Jennifer Miranda, Mundelein
    Hanna Monson, Stevenson
    Shayla Mutz, Lockport
    Carly Smith, Fenwick
    Lindsay Thut, Stevenson
    Taylor Vancil, St. Charles North

Nine months later, some of those same fans that cheered on the Notre Dame-bound senior have turned their backs on her. Weissenhofer is one of six players from Neuqua Valley who have continued the trend of electing to play club soccer instead of high school soccer this spring.

In the last three years, a handful of standout players have done that, including three of the premier players in the state -- Jen Buczkowski (Notre Dame) in 2003, Brittany Bock (Notre Dame) in 2004 and Lauren Switzer (UCLA) in 2005.

But more than ever this spring, high school students from all over are playing for clubs such as Eclipse Select, the Chicago Magic and the Chicago Sockers. In all, more than 100 of the top players in the area are taking a pass on the high school season.

Eclipse recently was named the No. 3 girls club in the nation by Soccer America, and the Chicago Magic earned the top honor for the second consecutive year on the boys side.

"It was a tough decision, and it's been tough since I've told people,'' said Weissenhofer, whose 26 goals in 30 games helped the Wildcats finish ranked atop the Studentsportssoccer.com national poll in 2005. "Some people have said I'm being selfish and that I should play for the community. But I'm doing what a lot of other players throughout the country have done for years. I'm preparing myself for college, and I felt club would benefit more than playing high school.''

With the first high school games set for March 20, the talk hasn't been about the top teams. It has been focused on who is and who isn't playing.

"There was a time when I thought I was going to play club this spring,'' said St. Viator's Danielle Griebel, who helped lead her school to its third Class A state title in four years in 2005. "But it's a personal decision, and I felt playing high school was going to be good for me. We're going to have a young team, and this will help my leadership skills.''

Griebel, who is headed to Miami, Duke-bound KayAnne Gummersall (New Trier), Vermont-bound Jenny Soldberg (Barrington), Illinois-bound Brittany Garrett (Lake Zurich), Villanova- bound Molly Williams (St. Ignatius) and Liz Holby (Fremd) are some of the better players who will play high school.

But it will be weird not seeing players such as Weissenhofer, Notre Dame-bound Amanda Clark (Neuqua Valley), Minnesota-bound Jenny Green (Palatine), Louisiana State-bound Chelsea Potts (Waubonsie Valley), Illinois-bound Jackie Santacaterina (Geneva), Cory Steigerwald (Stevenson), Brittany Johnson (St. Viator) and Jessica Price (Vernon Hills) not gracing a high school field this spring.

"It was a tough decision because I love my club teammates and high school teammates,'' Gummersall said. "Everyone has a right to choose what they want to do, and that's good.''

While most players understand, club and high school coaches have been jabbing at one another during the last month.

"The real reason is for self- interest, money,'' said Neuqua Valley coach Joe Moreau, who also coaches club during the offseason. "I think the club coaches have got into the heads of players and parents, saying that playing club year-round is the only way that they will get a scholarship. That is far from the truth.''

"The parents pay one fee for the entire year, whether they play high school or not,'' said Eclipse Select director Rory Dames, who won 166 games and three state titles in eight years at St. Viator before resigning last fall.

"Any high school coach that cuts a kid shouldn't talk because they are not allowing a kid to have that social experience. We allow these kids to drive $50,000 cars and make decisions on the road, but they can't make a decision to play club or high school? Some high school coaches are out of control with their egos.''

Despite the ongoing perception that club coaches are pressuring kids to play, that doesn't seem to be the case. According to a number of players interviewed, there has been more pressure to play high school than club.

"Many players do not play high school because of the strength of their high school team or confidence in their coach,'' Lake Zurich coach Pete Ternes said. "There is a perception among club coaches that some high school coaches are subpar in their abilities, and that is passed on to the players. Sometimes that is correct, but I think every situation is different.''

"There are positives to playing high school, but the high school system hasn't changed with the times,'' Chicago Magic director Mike Matkovich said. "The game is evolving, but there are still a lot of people from the old high school regime making decisions.''

Illinois High School Association assistant executive director Beth Sauser admitted she is concerned about the ongoing trend.

"It's a shame that the club and high school coaches have not been able to work together,'' Sauser said. "There was a time when kids could play both club and high school during the same season. It wouldn't surprise me if someone in the membership brought that proposal back to the table in the fall.''

Florida, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas and Virginia are some of the states that allow kids to play both during the same season. There are, however, rules restricting what both sides can do.

"The [IHSA] hasn't made it easy for the players with the restriction of not allowing kids to do both,'' Illinois women's soccer coach Janet Rayfield said. "They should be allowed to do both.''

Despite the cold shoulder she has received from some in the community, Weissenhofer won't go into hiding.

"I'll be at games when I can, cheering for my friends and school like everyone should,'' Weissenhofer said. "I hope people will still be cheering for me, too.''

20. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Although we have been discussing kids playing HS soccer and there are huge implications for both the club and HS side....I don't think the article has anything to do with north_cats quickly stating his opinions on S-SM. The two things seems to have blurred together in you post R2.

I am very, very sensitive to the pressures put on a kid to play HS soccer rather than club (my oldest recieved the highest, most profane, obviously slanderous pressure to play for her school-- no pressure from her previous club outside of simply asking for confirmation/committment of who was playing club in Spring).

I am also sensitive to the feelings of many in Minnesota regarding S-SM and inclusion into State Cups there. While I am sure that recruiting happens, I can tell you (and R2 knows this first hand) that WE approached the coaching staff at S-SM. We went after the program, needed financial assistance and it was provided so my child could attend and get both a top notch training environment and a great education to prepare her for her life. Does recruiting happen at S-SM? I am sure it does, but I think it happens much less than people assume. And if anyone tries to tell me that recruiting doesn't happen at the local "community clubs"-- I'll directly and promptly call you a liar. I think that the recruiting rules are total BS anyway....if you are doing the right things for each player- how can you be recruited away? Put a great product out there for consumers, and they will find it. I don't think that the S-SM Coaching staff have State or Regional team ODP rosters posted on a bulletin board with mass mailers going to these players to attend S-SM. For those of you who have seen "We Are Marshall"-- I don't think there are sessions going on with names on a big board that are either circled or crossed out. If they see a player they like, they may give them some information. It is what it is-- a Residential program that offers a different level of training and a different training atmosphere than cannot be offered by many Club teams. It is not for everyone, it takes a special "animal" to be a part of the program.

Is there any expectation that my daughter's U16 team will play in MN State Cup? No. Is there any expectation that IF they ever do play in MN State Cup they would win it handily? No. And, frankly.....I don't care if the current S-SM U16s win OR PLAY in MN State Cup. Nor does my daughter. All we are concerned about is HER progression. Is she gaining the experience, skill, and education that makes it worth having her three hours from her family? That is what we have to measure to see if it is worth it.....

Now, with everyone training with high level players and coaches they are all developing nicely into much better players. As each of them get better, the team gets better that should be a given.

The only thing that really bothers me about those S-SM haters is this......
    maybe you don't like the situation an institution like S-SM puts your local club in, but why be "ugly" to the kids or the parents? We don't write MN Youth Soccer policy, we don't make the rules. Rather, I would ask that those "haters" take an objective look and have some level of respect for the players who have the guts to give up friends, family, thier own bed, and many other things to pursue a dream or a goal. There are few who would be willing to make this kind of commitment-- give the kids the respect they deserve. Each and every one of these girls are very, very special and committed to a sport that should unite us. Instead, there is a feeling that somehow these teenage girls and boys are out to cheat them out of something (but aren't willing to make this kind of commitment). My kid puts her boots on one at a time, works hard at practice just like everyone else, and nothing is "handed" to her.

We look up to the players who get into D1 schools on scholarships, but some have great disdain for the players at S-SM? Why? Are they using your tax dollars? Are they taking food off your table? The worst thing that COULD happen is that MAYBE they may take a spot at the Region 2 Championships. Don't want that to happen? Train longer, train harder, and put yourselves in position to take what you feel is yours. No one is giving anyone a "free pass" to Regionals.....they have to be earned.

And that is all I have to say about that. (I didn't really want to even comment, but R2 asked.....) Sorry for the thread hi-jack. If anyone wants to continue this discussion and more posts come in on this subject, I'll move the posts to a new thread so as to not continue to hi-jack this one. This thread is not about S-SM, it is about the Bangu U14s........

21. the_north_cat

the_north_cat New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Don't worry about the hi-jacking. I welcome the discussion.

Appreciate your posts R2 and MF, though R2, I agree with MF that you started off quoting from me but then went with a different focus.

Let me be clear. I have absolutely no problem with the concept at SSM. I know most of the people involved and believe in what they are trying to offer. What I do have a problem with is that a group of non-Minnesota kids on a SSM or Faribault team can possibly take the place of a true Minnesota team at regionals. I know they are well within their right to use the current state of the policy (is it MN policy or regional/national policy?) and field a team through a local MYSA affiliate. However, I feel that if USYS wants to include teams like SSM in their regionals, then that team shouldn't take the place of a true MN team. And I don't care what the rules state about residency qualifications - SSM is not a team of Minnesota players in my book.

I love that kids work hard and commit themselves to the sport of soccer. Those who want what SSM has to offer, I'm glad it's around. They obviously recruit, but as MF said, most clubs who wish to be competitive do.

Recruiting rules are a farce. Families should be allowed to make choices. Try to provide what people are looking for and don't hinder them seeking alternate development paths. I know many of us on this board feel the same.

22. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2

23. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Although I do understand your feelings, north_cat I would argue that the kids attending S-SM are indeed now Minnesota kids. And realize that this brings me great pain in saying so, as mine is one of them. After all, my daughter would probably be considered by those who look at the S-SM roster an "Iowa kid"....how is this determined? We live in Iowa, she was born in Hawaii, and we have also lived in Utah. So, what is she really? An Iowa kid? A Hawaii kid? Maybe a Utah kid?

Right now, her family lives in Iowa-- but she will spend 9 months in Minnesota away from us. She is eligible for Minnesota ODP, and if she were an adult she would be eligible for residency in Minnesota (and could vote in MN elections). Honestly, why not embrace the institution and let whatever light shine not only on S-SM but also for Minnesota Youth Soccer and the opportunities offered in Minnesota? This extends all the way from the community clubs (who have been incredibly successful given the structure), through the Bangu system, and into S-SM. Minnesota is an incredibly advanced State from the standpoint of the soccer experience that is available at all levels! Embrace it and let the light shine.

Should we start a new thread on this? It really has taken over the lead on where this thread is going.....truthfully though I don't see much "controversy" regarding this issue.

24. the_north_cat

the_north_cat New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Sorry R2, but you make my point better than I.

Is it alright for a girl from Oklahoma to play with a Dallas team? A girl from Iowa to play with a team from IL? A girl from Ohio that plays with the Slammers in Cali?

We're not talking about a girl. We're talking about 16 girls from all over the nation (or something like that), in a boarding school that can offer $35 in scholarship per player per year, who can use ODP lists and contact people at will, competing in a Minnesota event against Minnesota competition. It's not the same.

I agree with MF. It shouldn't be the trophies that are important to a school like this, but yet they need results to attract better talent. These institutions, IMO, should be confined to US Club events, not State run events.

And Wisconsin players play MYSA soccer because people don't want to force Hudson and River Falls kids to commute 200+ miles.

You also say:

What I cant understand is why be so selfish?? Its ugly really. I think my daughter wants to play with and against the best. Maybe up in MN you would rather play the lower level teams and win win win baby, instead of earning it, by beating a good or better team. To me, that is what most of the crying is about.

I'm not crying and you make absurd jumps in logic. As I thought I had stated previously, I'm behind what SSM is trying to do for kids interested. Again I agree with MF, it would be nice for the MN community to embrace SSM. However, some of the stunts that have been pulled and the bridges burned but some of the decisions makers makes everything appear as a one way street towards the benefit of SSM. It will take time, but who knows.

There is a new plan coming through MN soccer in the next year that will shake things up a whole lot. Mark my words, you heard it hear first.

25. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Cool....so we agree to disagree?

Now, back to the original thread topic. What, is the direction that the Bangu U14s will take now? What is in store for them this season? I would think that one possible route would be to do tournaments only....and only play in the best. Then, concentrate on MRL next year.