PBP: U.S. vs. Trinidad and Tobago (8 EST)

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by thedukeofsoccer, Sep 6, 2016.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are missing 2 young players from your future list....Gboly Ariyibi (LW) and Fafa Picault (RW) both very fast with excellent footwork.

2. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I forgot Ariyibi. Shame Chesterfield didn't accept any bids so he's not mired in League One. Nothing he could do about it. Hopefully he can stay motivated.

But I'm not going to count Fafa. His better work has come as a striker. He didn't play well as a winger. He hasn't proven much in general, has been around for quite a while, and bounced around, so wouldn't necessarily consider him young anymore at 25. Marky Delgado and Marlon Hairston would warrant more of a shout, then. Didn't even mention Finlay. But none of these guys are jumping out as future starters to me.

3. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I think you severely underrate Arriola and then there is Julian Green who is actually making gameday rosters for Bayern and will probably wind up in a top league as a backup CF or Winger who plays regular minutes somewhere in the next season or two.

4. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arriola only being effective as a sub in LigaMX is a statement of virtual fact. He has potential, but wasted his opportunity in starting last year by being predictable, going to his right, which he didn't need to because he has some semblance of a left foot unlike Morris, Heydude, and Yedlin.

Ancelotti came out and acknowledged he didn't think Green could be effective as a winger, which is why he moved him to striker, where he believes him to have some promise. But he has a lot more to prove also. I mean we're talking about a guy who has been poor for the U.S. in his opportunities and above the 4th division in Germany there is no sample outside friendlies.

Any MLS players you want to speak up for too? I'd be happy to address why I excluded them, or maybe I just forgot to include them.

5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manneh has the attributes which should translate to the international game and higher levels. While he's played some inside for Van at AML he's got a 7.39 whoscored rating, highest of any American in MLS(would be 4th highest in MLS overall but it's too small a sample size) at that position, along with 4 goals/1 assist in his 5 games there.

He reportedly gets citizenship this month and Jurgen's been in contract with him. But if we're looking for another winger, one with pace and 1v1 ability, he's probably the next best option although Gooch looked good at LW for Sunderland.

I imagine we see both soon as Jurgen's been in contact with both.

6. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Ancelotti said:
    I think he is better in the middle because he is quick, fast and has good timing against the defensive back line, “Ancelotti told the Washington Post. “I think that is his best position. Of course, he can also play out wide but I think he is more efficient when he plays at center forward. I think it is good for him to stay there

“I think he has the instincts in the box. He has the instinct to lose his marker,” Ancelotti added. “His first goal was really good. He attacked the front post and it was a very good finish.”

http://sbisoccer.com/2016/08/ancelotti-sees-julian-greens-future-at-center-forward

Bizarre interpretation of what Ancelotti said:

beerslinger23 repped this.
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so bizzare when you figure a coach typically is understated about his criticisms of a younger player's ability to play a certain position, especially one he is likely to sell soon.

8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green has made the 18 in all 3 of Bayern's competetive matches this season with 1 sub appearance at the 65 min mark in the German Cup. He replaced, ..... wait for it Ribery, .... as a wide attacker!

The Churchill line applies here, we have established that the poster's interpretation of Ancelotti's comments are bizarre we are just negotiation on just how bizarre it really is.