U.S. v. Guatemala

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by RalleeMonkey, May 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, i hope Johnson is good to go.... Otherwise, i would start Parkhurst at LB.

----------------------Dempsey-------------------
    Gomez-------------------------------------Donovan
    ----------------Bradley-------Jones----------------
    ----------------------Beckerman--------------------
    Johnson/Parkhurst------------------------Cherundolo
    -------------Bocanegra--------Goodson-----------
    ------------------------Howard---------------------

Bench: Guzan, Cameron, Parkhurst/Edu, Corona, Altidore, Boyd
    Rimando, Edu, Castillo, Onyewu, Torres

2. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    i think youre right in names although gomez up top as usa might well play more counter

does corona need to get cap tied..

gomez runs himself ragged,a nd jozy comes on

if johnson can play, i think we can win

if not, 0-0 would make me happy

3. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    these are the matches I really could care how we look, just as long as we get a result.

4. RangerC

RangerC Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Anyone else watch Jamaica - Guatemala? I watched most of it and I thought Guatemala looked absolutely awful (slow, small, disorganized, constantly fouling) and the 2-1 scoreline absolutely flatters them (I only remember 2 shots on goal, and they were both on the sequence where they scored - free kick hit the bar, and player who was offside when the ball was kicked headed the rebound in). Jamaica hit the bar 3 times and had a clear penalty turned down - it was closer to 5-0 than 2-2 (and Jamaica wasn't that great, they looked real sloppy with lots of heavy touches). If they play like that on Tuesday we'll walk over them, Central American home game or not. I honestly thought A +B looked better than Guatemala (Leigertwood and Blackstock are better than any of the Guats and A+B looked much more organized) based on the two games. Just hope we don't get a BS red....

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These two items are my main concern - especially after watching highlights from the last go around (hello Carlos Ruiz with a boot to Tim Howard's face). Dolo got sent off last time, remember? I'm sure he does.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    In Guatemala, dealing with gamesmanship, refereeing, injuries and conditions are almost always half the battle or more.

7. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just hope Klinsmann is prepared for this upcoming street fight.

8. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Pezzarossi appeared to me to be in an onside position when the ball was kicked, held on by a defender on the far side. One or two teammates were in an offside position, but that doesn't matter.

However, I was watching a highlight at poor resolution.

9. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------------Gomez--------------
    Dempsey------------------Donovan
    ------------Bradley-Jones-----------
    ------------------Edu------------------
    Johnson--Boca--Goodson-Cherundolo
    ----------------Howard----------------

With Parkhurst at LB if Johnson isn't ready. Boca is our best CB and we need him there.... I don't want to see him at LB with Onyewu at CB which is the main thing I'm a little bit nervous about.

If we just decide to take more shots when we have opportunities then we'll be fine. Well that.... and if Klinsmann gives our players enough rest.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like everyone else, I sure hope Johnson is healthy for this one. If he isn't fit to play, I'm not at all sure anyone knows what JK will do.

Those suggesting Parkhurst start may not be reading the tea leaves correctly. JK didn't trust Parkhurst to play LB as a SUB at home leading Antigua by 2-0. If he didn't trust Parkhurst in such a strong situation, what makes anyone think JK will trust Parkhurst to start at Guatemala?

I think Jones as an emergency shift to CB to allow Boca to play LB has a slightly greater chance of happening than Parkhurst starting at LB. Plus, it would fit with JK's preference for getting many CM's onto the field. ;)

The squad has 20 field players. If all 3 of Johnson, Castillo, and Torres are all out, I think we may be down to a bare minimum of 10 healthy, in-form field players JK is comfortable starting: Cherundolo, Goodson, Boca, Jones, Edu, Bradley, Donovan, Dempsey, Gomez, and surely Altidore (based on Jozy's past US starts and his fine season in Holland, but not so clear based on the last couple of weeks.

Onyewu's form is really poor and he doesn't seem to anyone like starting quality right now, but I'm not sure what JK is thinking about him.

All the evidence suggests JK is not comfortable starting the remaining 6 players in a meaningful match: Parkhurst, Cameron, Beckerman, Corona, Wondolowski, and Boyd.

So, if I were to start all 10 of the healthy, in-form field players I think JK may trust as starters right now, it might look like this:

---------------------Altidore-----------------
    Donovan---------Dempsey---------Gomez
    ---------------Bradley-----Edu--------------
    Boca-------Jones----Goodson---Cherundolo
    ----------------------Howard-----------------

Jones as the emergency CB based on professional experience and a couple of recent 90 min matches as a CB for Schalke. The counter-attack possibilities with this XI are actually pretty good, assuming we could draw Guatemala out and open some space for Altidore, Donovan, Gomez and Dempsey to attack.

But the bench looks a mess.
    Guzan, Onyewu, Cameron, Parkhurst, Beckerman, Wondo, Boyd.

Possibly out injured: Torres, Johnson, and Castillo.
    Healthy but outside the 18: Rimando and Corona.

I think the team grinds out a draw or a 1-goal win, because Guatemala appears to be struggling right now. But it won't be pretty, and I wouldn't bet money on getting a result.

11. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Corona does get to play in this game. As long as we keep possession, we should be able to get another victory.

12. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    JK doesn't understand it, but Jones shouldn't play in Guatemala. Very slim chance that he will survive till the end of the game. Probably will be red carded in the first half. Another thing that the Fishy against out of form Gooch, is a penalty kick waiting to happen. And it will happen.

13. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    no idea on the back 4 because its completely subject to who is healthy, but i'd like to see 2 forwards and a y-midfield.

-----------------gomez---------altidore
    --dempsey----------------------------------donovan
    -------------------------bradley
    -------------------------jones

hopefully that can bring some dynamism back to the attack by having both jozy and herc making runs in front of dempsey and donovan.

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I want the 4-4-2.

--------------Altidore-------------Gomez---------------
    ---Dempsey-----Bradley----Jones-------Donovan---
    ---Johnson---Bocanegra---Goodson--Cherundolo--
    ---------------------------Howard--------------------------

15. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    What I would do (assuming no FJ, JFT, EC (not that I'd play Castillo regardless))...
    -------------------Altidore-----------------
    ---Gomez-------Dempsey----Donovan--
    -------------------Bradley------------------
    --------------------Jones--------------------
    Parkhurst--Bocanegra-Cameron--Dolo
    ------------------Howard-------------------

Bench: Guzan, Edu, Goodson, Corona, Wondo, Gooch(break in emergency only!)

What JK does:
    ---Dempsey----Gomez----Donovan----
    ------------Bradley----Jones------------
    --------------------Edu--------------------
    -Bocanegra--Goodson-Onyewu--Dolo-
    -------------------Howard-----------------

Bench: Beckerman, Cameron, Boyd, Parkhurst, Altidore, Guzan

16. Wedontneednostinkinbadges

Jun 9, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think the loss to Jamaica could have significant impact on the Guatemalan tactics. Assuming Guatemala THINKS A&B lose every game(personally I think they're gonna get at least four points), they should not be content to sit back and park the bus at least in the second half. They didnt pick up a draw at Jamaica, so they almost have to get their home points to avoid third place...If we play smart and avoid stupid mistakes early (a significant challenge chronically), AND our war-torn(overtrained) bodies hold up, the game really should open up late. These central-american qualifiers generally open up late anyway. For this reason, I think we should start Altidore to bang and bruise 'em through sixty mins, then bring on Hercules for immediate energy/speed and willingness to run into the space that should open up.

17. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is some shambolic defending in these highlights. And if we don't test that Guatemalan GK from range like Jamaica, we are dumb:

18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think our CBs are more crucial in this contest than the wings. God I hope Johnson is ready to go. I just don't want to move Boca out left. At all. He controls the middle against the Fish.

I'd rather have Boca stay at CB and move Cameron out left than shift Boca AND insert someone new at CB.

Adjust 1 position, not 2. That means inserting someone new at LB.

The thought of seeing a backline of Boca - Goodson - Gooch - Dolo makes me want to hurl.

19. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Edu hasn't been stellar at CM by default he replaces Onyewu at CB.
    Edu and Goodson paired with Boca @LB and Dolo@RB seem the best idea given FJ is unlikely to start.
    Onyewu just isn't a wise choice for JK just now and if he goes with him something is terribly wrong with JK and our qualifiers.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Dwight Pezzarossi is basically a Central American Conor Casey; a bull of a forward and probably one of the only players over 6 feet tall on their entire squad.

A player like that should be easily handled by our central defenders. Someone like Ruiz worries me more, even though many of our players are already familiar with him from his MLS days.

FirstStar repped this.
  21. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    My sentiments exactly, except I wonder if Cameron has ever actually played at LB and how his left footed cross is. Maybe somebody knows?

22. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen Guatemala play in a long time. Do they play Ruiz up top by himself? Are we expecting them to bunker and try and hit us with the counter? Is Pappa on this squad?

23. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    hasn't edu played some center back at the olympic level

i might prefer to have edu there, with jones paired with bradley

the more i think the 4 attacking players are altidore, gomez, donovan, dempsey with the first 3 having good speed to counter with and dempsey the clever slipperyness

24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice post by Mr. Martin breaking down the squad. And I mostly agree, with one caveat. And that is I think there are some guys who JK views as marginal. Castillo, Cameron, Beckerman, and Parkhurst all go in this category. Corona, Boyd, and probably Wondo are all guys who aren't quite ready for prime time yet, though if we have a lead, putting in a forward isn't as risky.

Have JK's trust and available (11): Howard; Cherundolo, Goodson, Bocanegra, Bradley, Jones, Edu, Donovan, Dempsey, Gomez, Altidore. No LB among them.

Have trust but likely injured (2): Johnson, Torres.

Marginal (3): Cameron, Beckerman, Parkhurst.

Marginal but hurt: Castillo.

Not ready yet: Boyd, Corona (certainly), Wondo.
    ====================

I also agree about the tea leaves. Not using Parkhurst before is a bad sign for his chances, though that is what I would do. We could also move Dolo to the left, and let Parkhurst or Cameron play RB. That way, you aren't putting your weakest link (Parkhurst/Cameron) in an unfamiliar position. And yes, Cameron has played some RB, not much, but some.

25. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes x 1000. Guatemala plays a 5-4-1. Expect counter attacks. We need to have our quickest players on defense. Jones and Bradley also should be prepared to make several 40 yard sprints back to cover. Guatemalas defense is quite poor, so they compensate by crowding the box. Jones and Bradley should be practicing their long shots this week.

No