Post-match: U.S. v. Barbados, 6/22/08 (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by flux82, Jun 22, 2008.

1. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    Does anyone else smell something that stinks?

One of those games where at the end, it feels you have just wandered around for a few hours in a daze.

Not that this game actually deserves any, but thoughts?

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bob bradley subbed out Danny Szetela, the only player worth anything today, as the first sub of the game.

Its like he homes on with players with skill and neutralizes them.

3. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    Or never calls them in. There will be a day when Bradley actually has to give MLS the finger and call in our best players. And all at the same time, too!

4. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like most of our players were walking around in a daze for the majority of the match. Fortunately, the opponent was so poor that we could play at walking speed and still pull out a win.

Rolfe had some nice touches, may have helped his case a bit... one might say everyone else's stock dropped, but then it seemed like none of them cared.

5. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

I also think he has told Freddy to play more simple IMO. Maybe that is a part of his "maturing" process.

6. flsoccer

flsoccer Member

Jul 8, 2007
    so who was the MOTM? I guess Id give it to Lewis cuz he got the only goal. if the pass hadnt unintentionally deflected off a defender, I might have given it to Adu. but without the deflection I dont think the pass was on target.

overall kind of a lackluster performance all the way around.

7. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    I like Szetela, and feel he could play a roll when he starts getting consistent club time. Wait, that is not a requirement for playing under Bradley? Then keep bringing him in!

8. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    Horrific display by the NT. I don't care if we are up 8-0, we still should outclass a team of amateur and D4 english players.

This game illustrated many of the weaknesses within the NT team, which appears we are years away from fixing.

9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I thought Freddy played well in spurts, but the lack of a true forward hurt.

The most troubling aspect of this match was that a lot of our on-the-ground passes...especially in the 2nd half...looked soft and lacked pace.

The avenues in the defense were there, we just didn't exploit them enough.

It wouldn't break my heart if Mr. Moor never made another appearance in the National Team jersey...though he did make that one nice defensive play in the first half.

EDIT: Let the server meltdown begin!

10. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was the worst game I have ever seen in my life

that was also the worst quality camera and camera f***ing angle I have ever seen in any sport ever

11. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, Barbados played their heart out & with pride and deserve ALL the credit for a soild performance but, and no disrespect, if we played ANYBODY else we would've lost!!

Our timing was SLOW & our play as unmovitating as I've ever seen!! I can accept winning, ONLY, 1-0...what I can't and won't accept is being outplayed & outhustled by BARBADOS!?!

And that falls on BB!! I'm just too peeved right now to be objective but I'm VERY disappointed & feel that we played with the "fear" of "humilating" Barbados and, I'm sorry, but there's NO ROOM for that thinking in soccer/football!!

Just my $0.02!!

12. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was cr@p but also what I expected since we were up 8-0 on aggregate. The only thing that bothered me is that it seemed like there was a lack of effort by the US. Now, I can see that from regulars since it was 8-0, but some of the younger guys who are still trying to prove themselves, solidify their positions, etc. weren't into the match either.

Overall, we didn't want to be there and it showed. Not really going to look into the performance too much based on who was playing at what was at stake. I'm just glad we escaped without any injuries.

On the Olympics and the Semifinals.

13. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that was the worst game I have ever seen in my life

that was also the worst quality camera and camera f***ing angle I have ever seen in any sport. ever.

14. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    A great thing just happened for the Euro 2008 tournament. And I will leave it at that.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is assimilating Adu into Team Try Hard. Its a long, hard, ardentuous process to completely phase out a player's indvidual skill and flair.

16. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    What a poor, poor showing. I probably could've seen better ball at a Pittsburgh Riverhounds game.

17. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    This game was like most USMNT threads.

Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

18. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Sound and fury? More like sloth and futility.

19. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    Horrible game, just horrible.

Zero effort by most....

Zero off the ball movement, it was like a real life fusebal table with stationary players. Rediculous.

I did think that Szetela looked like the man of the match, and of course, BB subbed him out.

I still think BB needs to take a hike, but I also know that will not happen during this cycle.

20. dcpohl

dcpohl Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it was played on a cricket field so you can excuse the angle, but yeah the resolution sucked.

21. flux82

flux82 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Mississippi
    Makes you want the implementation of a mercy rule. If a team is up by 6+ goals after first leg, second leg is deemed unnecessary and canceled.

22. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coaching can't do much when the players just don't care. Bob was audible during the first half, shouting "Keep it moving!" - and that's exactly what we proceeded not to do. Instead we stood on the ball, walked around, sat on a 1-0 lead. Whatever semblance of effort there was ended the moment we scored.

23. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game was all but meaningless (and if you want to argue the point, you're an idiot). Treating it as anything other than a scrimmage and, hence, reading anything whatsoever into the final result is a waste of time.

Just before the 2002 WC team jetted off to SK, they were outclassed by the Richmond Kickers in a scrimmage in NC. Which led to a rather easy to predict wave of frantic hand wringing here on BS. Yet, somehow, it didn't much matter when the games that counted kicked off.

24. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You people actually watched this over Spain-Italy? Poor saps...

Good to know now I don't need to watch the replay.

25. WraithXx

WraithXx Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, it's like they had some soccer mom on a tripod camera filming her son's little league game out there broadcasting the game to us.... jeezus