U.S. U-21 Women's National Team thread

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by tiej, Mar 11, 2003.

1. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    The U.S. U-21 women's national team won its first two international matches under Coach Chris Petrucelli with 3-0 and 2-0 wins over a Mexican XI in Chula Vista, Calif.

Marcie Ward (Stanford, Alyssa Ramsey (North Carolina), Manya Makoski (Arizona State), Carli Lloyd (Rutgers) and Joanna Lohman (Penn State) scored.

The U.S. U-17s beat Germany's U-17s, 3-0, in Florida, and the U.S. U-16s tied the same German team, 1-1.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562132996

2. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
  3. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why that one was 'closed.' The U-21's played the Spirit down at ARCO and anyone who wanted to was able to watch it. And it was a good game, with the Spirit winning 3-2.

4. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    According to the WUSA website that game was supposed to be "Closed" also.

5. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    Caroline Smith Earns Tryout Invitation To U.S. Under-21 Women's National Soccer Team

http://www.kuathletics.com/soccer/releases/03_27_03.html

6. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    U-21 Update:

April 1, 2003

BERKELEY - California junior midfielder Kim Yokers was one of 23 players chosen to attend a U.S. under-21 women's national team camp scheduled for April 11-20 in Chula Vista, Calif. During the camp, the team will play the WUSA's San Jose CyberRays and the San Diego Spirit.

U.S. U21 head coach Steve Petrucelli has called in college standouts, with the exception of a pair of teenagers, forward Heather O'Reilly and defender Kim Bingham.

http://calbears.ocsn.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/040103aaa.html

7. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    Steve Petrucelli??! I'm sure Chris is wondering when his brother took over.

8. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    U-21 WOMEN HEAD TO CHULA VISTA FOR 10-DAY TRAINING CAMP: The U.S. Under-21 Women's National Team will be heading to Chula Vista, Calif., for their upcoming training camp from April 11-20. During the camp, the team will play the WUSA's San Jose CyberRays and the San Diego Spirit.

Date Opponent
    April 12 San Jose CyberRays
    April 15 San Diego Spirit

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsID=30088&itype=&iCategoryID=

9. Nice to see that Keeley Dowling has apparently recovered from an injury she had earlier in the spring.

10. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    Chrissie Abbott has received an invitation to try out for the under-21 national team. The Mountaineers' All-American is one of 21 players invited to the camp in San Diego, Calif. Abbott scored 20 goals for the Mountaineers last season.

For April 12 game U-21 vs. CyberRays.
    Link to CyberRays Forum

11. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    San Jose beat The U.S. under-21 team 3-2, on Saturday in Saratoga, Calif.

12. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    April 15 exhibition match vs. San Diego Spirit

San diego Spirit defeat the U.S. U-21 National Team, 3-1, in an exhibition game at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, Calif. San Diego was led by Scottish international forward Julie Fleeting's two goals and an additional goal from Chinese forward Zhang Ouying.

13. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    Roster Set for Under-21 WNT Tour of Brazil

From US Soccer:

Roster Set for Under-21 WNT Tour of Brazil

"The U.S. Under-21 Women’s National Team will embark on a four-game tour of Brazil in mid-May as Chris Petrucelli takes his first trip abroad as head coach of the U-21s. The tour will serve as preparation for the 2003 Nordic Cup, the most important competition in the world for U-21 women, taking place in Denmark from July 21-27, 2003.

The roster for Brazil includes three players from Stanford University, three players from Texas, two players from Arizona State and UNC, and one each from Maryland, Portland, Santa Clara, Penn State, UCLA, and UC Berkeley. Petrucelli also selected two players still in high school in Harris, a junior, and Lauren Zealer, a senior headed to Santa Clara in the fall."

14. ShoppingQueen104

ShoppingQueen104 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Us National Women National Team

If you want discount tickets to the US National Women National Team Soccer Event you get get them at www.jamdealie.com. I saved 10% on my tixs cant wait to see the game. Anyone else know where I get find other discounts on soccer tixs???

15. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    Anyone see any results from Brazil? They played Santos FC on Saturday, and today are playing the Brazil U-21s. Reddick is supposed to be there for that game.

16. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    It looks like the U-21s had a rough time in Brazil, winning against Santos FC, going 0-2 against the Brazilian U-21s and losing to Saad FC.

There isn't much information available but the scores are posted here:

http://www.womensoccer.com/refs/usresults/usr-u21bra_18may03.html

http://www.womensoccer.com/refs/usresults/usr-brazus_20may03.html

http://www.womensoccer.com/refs/usresults/usr-saad_22may03.html

http://www.womensoccer.com/refs/usresults/usr-brazus_25may03.html

No mention at all of Heather O'Reilly. I wonder what happened?

17. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    Just a brief mention in Soccer America:

"Santa Clara University's Leslie Osborne and Maryland's Ali Andrzejewski scored goals to lead the U.S. U-21 women past Brazil's Santos FC, 2-1, in the opener of the Americans' four-game Brazilian tour. The U.S. squad dropped its next two games, to Saad FC and Brazil's U-21s, both 1-0. The last game is Sunday against a blend of Brazilian U-21s and full national-teamers. ..."

Glad to see Kelly Wilson get a goal in the final game.

18. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    I'm assuming the "Lindsey" who got the assist on Wilson's goal is actually Lindsey Huie of Portland.

I understand that US Soccer has been occupied elsewhere, but hopefully they'll eventually provide match summaries. It is nice to see Kelly Wilson score - she's had fewer WNT call ups than the other two members of the junior "triple edged sword", Tarpley and O'Reilly. It's also good to see Leslie Osborne of Santa Clara make a mark - I found her impressive in the last two college cups.

19. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    USSF really needs to beef up the web page with game summaries, rosters, anything. Thow us a bone!

Wilson sort of fell out of the WNT picture after last summer's U-19 championship. I think she'll be back in it after the World Cup if she does well with the U21s this summer and with Texas in the fall.

Petrucelli said last fall that Kelly had been so primed to peak during the U-19 WC, there was a physical and emotional let down afterward. She had an OK but not great season for UT. She seemed a step slow and didn't have the spark of her freshman year.

With some rest and nurturing from Coach P I think Kelly will be back strong this year.

20. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    The U-21s will hold camp in Carson, CA June 20-30. I haven't seen a roster yet.

21. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    The young guns are ready for Nordic Cup

U-21 WOMEN FINISH FIRST CAMP AT NAT’L TRAINING CENTER, NORDIC CUP UP NEXT:

U.S. U-21 Women's National Team head coach Chris Petrucelli completed his final training camp this past weekend before the USA travels to Denmark in mid-July for the 2003 Nordic Cup, the top competition in the world for U-21 women. The eight days of training at U.S. Soccer's National Training Center at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., was the first visit by the U.S. U-21 women to the world class facility and included a 1-1 tie with the U.S. U-19s and a 1-0 victory over the San Diego Spirit of the WUSA. The win over the Spirit came in San Diego and the lone goal was scored Manya Makoski (Arizona State) off an assist from Kelly Wilson (Univ. of Texas), both members of the USA's 2002 U-19 World Championship Team. Midfielder Lori Chalupny scored the lone goal in the 1-1 tie with the U-19s on June 21.

Petrucelli will announce the 18-player Nordic Cup roster later this week.

U.S. U-21 WNT Results
    Date: Opponent, Result (U.S. Goal Scorer)
    June 21 U.S. U-19 WNT, 1-1 (Chalupny)
    June 25 San Diego Spirit, 1-0 (Makoski)

www.ussoccer.com

22. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    Petrucelli Names Nordic Cup Roster

1 Harris, Ashlyn G 5-8 10/19/85 Satellite Beach, Fla. Indiatlantic Force 1
    2 Yokers, Kim M 5-5 05/24/82 Seattle, Wash. California 5/0
    3 Spilger, Natalie D 5-6 05/19/82 El Cajon, Calif. Stanford 3/0
    4 Reddick, Cat D 5-8 02/10/82 Birmingham, Ala. North Carolina 16/2
    5 Marquand, Ally D 5-6 07/01/81 Irvine, Calif. Stanford 17/0
    6 Pryce, Nandi D 5-10 05/30/82 Casselberry, Fla. UCLA 13/2
    7 Wilson, Kelly F 5-6 02/11/83 Odessa, Texas Texas 4/0
    8 McDonald, Kelly F 5-8 04/13/83 Littleton, Colo. Texas 2/1
    9 Tarpley, Lindsay F 5-6 09/22/83 Kalamazoo, Mich. North Carolina 0/0
    10 Osborne, Leslie M 5-8 05/27/83 Menominee Falls, Wis. Santa Clara 4/0
    11 Steadman, Amy D 5-3 09/08/84 Brevard,N.C. North Carolina 2/0
    13 Chalupny, Lori M 5-4 01/29/84 St. Louis, Mo. North Carolina 6/2
    14 Gray, Sheree F 5-3 12/12/85 Toms River, N.J. World Class FC 0/0
    15 LePeilbet, Amy D 5-5 03/12/82 Reno, Nev. Arizona State 10/0
    16 Makoski, Manya F 5-3 04/18/84 Trumbell, Conn. Arizona State 4/1
    17 Lohman, Joanna M 5-6 06/26/82 Silver Spring, Md. Penn State 10/1
    18 Barnhart, Nicole G 5-9 10/10/81 Gilbertsville, Calif. Stanford 2
    19 Huie, Lindsey M 5-5 12/26/83 Laguna Woods, Calif. Portland 4/0

23. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    That's a very talented squad - bodes well for the WNT future. It's geat to see Nandi Pryce and Ally Marquand are now healthy and fully back in action. I'm unfamiliar with Sherree Gray though - she looks like another young forward out of O'Reilly country. Does anyone know more about her?

14 Gray, Sheree F 5-3 12/12/85 Toms River, N.J. World Class FC 0/0

24. misoccerfan

misoccerfan New Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Whatever happened to Anne Morrell? She used to play with the U-21s all the time but I haven't seen her on a roster in a long time. I don't think she's too old.

25. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    Roster changes

From USSF:

"Petrucelli was forced to juggle his roster at the end of last week as two players previously named to the roster were forced to pull out with injuries. Manya Makoski (Arizona State) injured an MCL and was replaced by UCLA-bound 18-year-old forward Bristyn Davis (HBC Fury). Amy Steadman (UNC), a member of the USA's U-19 World Championship Team in 2002, suffered a meniscus tear and was replaced by Ali Andrzejewski (Maryland)."