U.S. U-20s vs. Ukraine [R]

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by maverick, Aug 27, 2002.

1. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    On Dec 5, 1993, the US senior team beat El Salvador 7-0 in a friendly in Los Angeles. Joe-Max Moore scored 5 goals. The only other instance I could find for the senior team was back in 1934 when Donelli scored all 4 goals in a 4-2 win over Mexico, played in Rome as part of qualifying for the 1934 World Cup finals.

I think more importantly that the qualifying roster for Magee will be the possibility that this performance will open up the opportunity to join a club in Europe. There have to be scouts hanging around this tournament.

2. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    It looks like no US players received cautions against Ukraine. So Eddie Johnson and Ricardo Clark remain available with two cautions each. A yellow card against Uruguay would apparently rule them out of the final/3rd place.

3. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    I expect that this is a bit of an over-statement. Some of the rosters are available at http://www.cotifalcudia.com

There are not many 82's on the other squads. (Then again, think what Beasley and Donovan would do for the US team.)

Semis are today, same time as yesterday.

4. nutmeg7

nutmeg7 New Member

Aug 28, 2002
    East Coast
    Rongen's Lineup?

Does anyone think its strange that after Magee bags 4 goals against Ukraine - he doesn't even see one minute of playing time in the match today against Uruguay?

5. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    Re: Rongen's Lineup?

What was todays result?

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Re: Rongen's Lineup?

3-1 US victory. It's on the board here.

7. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999

You don't think he'd be gassed? It's a question of energy levels and fitness. EJ has been training as a professional so his fitness levels should be proportionately higher than the non-pros.

As a side note, the only reason Magee hasn't signed with a club yet is because of the UEFA or EU rule forbidding players 17 and under signing a professional contract. He turns 18 on September 2.

8. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002

I thought the same thing. Hopefully Wanderer is right about it being only to rest him and he gets some good playing time in the final.

9. nutmeg7

nutmeg7 New Member

Aug 28, 2002
    East Coast
    Sure, but checking back - does that explain the minimal playing time in the Brazil and Italy matches? In the neighborhood of 15-20 minutes combined! I read that Magee has been training both in US and in Europe so are getting his legs back really the issue?

10. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Yeah I know. Maybe he doesn't fit into Rongen's game plan for whatever reason. But Barclay received his third caution today and can't play tomorrow so I think there is a good shot Magee will start in the final.

11. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Winning the tournament is just a bonus. The important thing is to evaluate players against international level competition in order to get an idea of who to pick for the qualifying tournament.

12. so cal mama

so cal mama New Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Re: Re: Rongen's Lineup?

Rongen may end up looking foolish if US fails to score and he leaves Magee out of the line up!

13. so cal mama

so cal mama New Member

Aug 28, 2002

STRANGE or just something to prove? Who knows?

14. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    There is very little turnaround time between games. Rongen has been resting as many players as possible every other game. He probably planned to rest Magee in the semifinal and start Magee in the final or third place in any case. Had we needed a goal late, Magee might have come on, but it made more sense to rest him, didn't it?

15. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Re: Re: Re: Rongen's Lineup?

Wouldn't be the first time for Tommy!! :D

16. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: Rongen's Lineup?

Yeah real foolish, they got 3 against Uruguay without Magee.