U.S. U-19 Women National Team thread

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by tiej, Mar 11, 2003.

1. vince stravino

vince stravino New Member

Dec 9, 2001
    Appalachia
    In the stadium, Rostedt and Wuznuk were impressive. Especially, Rostedt. The entire effort was more complete than the Korea game. Much better distribution and finishing. Russia was hardly a threat.

Even the Russia goal.....seconds after the second half started was kind of a fluke. The defense was just not set and the Russian made a nice move and blasted home a left-footed shot. It really woke up the USA.

Set pieces were much improved with some real threats with long balls into the box. There was one goal off a set piece.

Back to Rostedt.....wow! She stood out as heads and shoulders above everyone there. Dangerous, fast, smooth and aggressive. Her conditioning may have slipped at the tail end of her day (hey, she just broke her left wrist!), but otherwise I have never seen an American offensive threat look like her with her style. I am sure I am not the first to point this out, but she plays like a female Thierry Henry. She has the same body frame and gliding running style.....and appears deadly around the net. Absoultely star quality. Fun to watch.

Look for another report on www.sams-army.com. I am too tired to bang one off right now. Heading back to the States for the Men's qualifier in Columbus. No more insights from Thailand, but the girls seem to be on tract for at least a shot at repeating. Germany is their biggest obstacle.

2. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    I'm curious how good will be if she plays along side Wambach ...

3. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    does anybody know WHY the US soccer Fed doesn't care about our youth soccer movement ? for example in this U-19 women WC, eventhough we are the defending champion of this tournament.

4. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    I'm not sure what you mean, there are several articles about it on the US Soccer website.

5. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    no TV broadcast like Canada does ... :(

6. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it isn't happening, but it would be nice. As the final is Saturday 11/27 at 7:00 AM Eastern, they can't show it live (EPL), they could nix the repeat scheduled for 5:00 PM and air it then. But it's just a dream.

8. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    USA advances to the semifinals with a 2-0 win over Australia. Rodriguez and Rapinoe scored in the second half.

In the other QFs, Brazil beat Russia 4-2 in extra time (Brazil only managed to tie the game in the 94th minute), Germany beat Nigeria on PKs, and China upset Canada 3-1 after the Canadian keeper was sent off in the first minute of the game.

So Wednesday's semis are USA vs Germany; Brazil vs China.

9. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    Canada oh Canada ...... :( I think they're just unlucky and too much fun in the early round...by the way how big is our chance against Germany compared with the 2002 tournament ?

10. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Not as good but still better than 50/50. I'd be very surprised if the USA won by 3 goals as they did in 2002.

11. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    haven't heard any word from FSW yet, as in the 2002 WC case came in the very last minutes announcement .... however, i'm still hoping to watch the remaining games on FSW.

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Well, the US was ko'd in today's semifinal vs Germany, so I guess there goes any hope of seeing the final on FSW. Final score was 3-1, with the only US goal on a Germany own-goal.

US will play either China or Brazil for 3rd place.

13. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Ouch.

14. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. I'm really beginning to dislike German soccer...both genders.

15. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    If anyone winds up seeing this game on tape, can you let us know if Coach K did the same thing here that he did in the '02 WUSA semifinal with the Charge vs. Washington? That is, stress defense first, and then try to throw everything but the kitchen sink up front way too late to make a difference? Why was Rostedt, who only was the team's leading scorer in the tournament, on the bench until the 81st minute? It would seem that you need to have it the other way around; offense first, and then the D will take care of itself.

This is a bitter pill to swallow... :(

16. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    I think your question has been answered. Germany is for real but I'm not sure about China. Brazil was overrated. The ref beat Canada. Should be an interesting final.

17. Stars&Bars

Stars&Bars New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    This does have he making of a good rivalry between our men (we need someone other than mexico too) and women's sides. Should be good for all.

18. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    tears all over again. Don't worry, we get 'em next time !

19. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    I followed the fifa.com live score for few minutes, we actualy had more ball possesion than the Germans ....& i positively thought that we're gonna to beat them.

20. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ach du liebe !!!

US offside 7 times! Germany only twice.

That and corner kicks are the only stats in which the US led. It sounds like Germany had a dominating attack and superior defense.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, especially these young ladies far from their families.

Regroup for Saturday against Brasil. You don't want to be the first US team to fail in a bronze match. :)

21. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    I wish to see Ozzie playing for senior team soon ....

22. glvsoccer3

glvsoccer3 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Iowa
    They're going to be on tv today and tomorrow at 4:00 (I think that's central time) on Fox Sports World. I thought everyone would like to know.

23. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    Jen Buczkowski a EGHS Graduate Turned Down National Team Spot To Help Notre Dame To Title:

The Lady Is A Champ
    By ANDY COLE - Journal Reporter

24. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado