U.S. Soccer Bans Headers For Kids Under The Age Of 11

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by YankBastard, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

What do you think about this?

1. It's about time. Hopefully the world takes notice.

2. More liberal crap. No other country does this. This will hinder youth development.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you think about this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/us-soccer-headers-banned_5641fe05e4b0411d3072714e

Responding to a lawsuit demanding changes to the game, the United States Soccer Federation amended its rulebook on Monday, establishing a series of regulations that it believes will help reduce the amount and severity of head injuries in its youth leagues.

These new resolutions bar headers for players under 11, “reduce headers in practice for those” between the ages of 11 and 13 and alter substitution rules to make it easier for players who have taken a hit to the head to get off the field.

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I think we're gonna see a couple of guys on Shark Tank with a business plan to 3d print soccer "helmets" soon, that's what I think. Petr Cech was ahead of the curve on fashion.

[​IMG]

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure someone tried to sell those a few years back but concussion concerns weren't quite as high then

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid.

So many headers are a product of poor coaching throughout our youth ranks where they know little more than to lob longballs and play off set pieces.

If the USSF banned idiot coaches and stressed playing on the ground, that would have a far more reaching impact.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Ful 90. They were originally marketed for headers. They then switched focus to collisions. And then someone showed that they didn't cause a reduction as claimed.

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Making a mountain out of a molehill. Its like school black and white. No room for common sense. Most kids don't head during the game at these ages, but it shouldn't prevent teaching proper technique

Now then, what is a 'header?' The kid running to a ball that bounces and nods it down with his head to get it on the ground? Will this be deemed a dangerous play?

Dumb.

7. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Because it sounds like they're "doing something" purely for the sake of being seen as "doing something". They acknowledge that headers don't account for many concussions at all. Eliminating headers seems to be like trying to kill a fly with a M61A1 Vulcan cannon.

9. Sup Bro

Sup Bro Member+

Oct 26, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really see how it's enforceable, a lot of times it's just a natural reaction. I'd rather go head to head with someone than trade high boots with them trying to bring the ball down first. Seems like a weird, wierd decision.

10. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    If it will prevent more American commentators with the English language skills of Twellman, I'm all for it. He still sounds concussed.

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I wonder what will happen the first time someone takes an errant clearance off the noggin at close range and ends up woozy in the normal course of play. What will they ban then?

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I've coached U-8, U-10, and U-12 travel soccer for nine years. I have refereed five years. I have run a recreation league of over 1,000 kids per year for the past 13 years. I have not seen ONE concussion from heading the ball. Mainly because there are so seldom the opportunities to get a clean header on the ball with a player willing to head a ball in a game.

Because they haven't shown there to be a problem.

bballshawn repped this.
  13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    And then the referee calls a 'dangerous play' foul on the player for heading the ball.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It bothers me immensely when I see youth players (usually girls) at the U-12/U-14 level ducking and shying away when confronted with a flighted ball and a normal header situation. If kids don't learn how to do it properly due to a ban, they're going to do it incorrectly at a much higher rate when they get older, which will give them problems (both playing and physiological), guaranteed.

Winoman repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This makes a lot of sense for long term health. There's no reason for brain damage at such a young age, considering heading the ball doesn't really matter at such young ages.

You don't need to learn how to head the ball before 12 or 13, at the very earliest. It wouldn't be the worst thing if they held off with heading until 14 or 15. The importance of learning how to head the ball at a young age isn't even close to the importance of learning good technique on the ball at a young age. One of the two also does damage to your brain.

juveeer, dna77054 and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  16. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the idea here is that minor concussions would be cut down, not just the ones that make kids blackout and such. Thus, they are also increasing the education of how to see if a kid has a minor or major concussion. I'm not saying you don't know how to spot a concussion per se, but that there may be concussions that happen and nobody really knows that they happen. Also, they did show there to be a problem in the lawsuit, that is why these changes are occurring, because of the lawsuit.

Don't think you can really guarantee something that seems to be an opinion. I agree education on how to head the ball properly would be great too though.

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Again those type of injuries major or minor as so far more likely to come from other contact (body part to head, ground to head, ball to head-not a header, but being struck by a ball when neck muscles are not engaged).

And again, how many true headers do you see at a U-10 match?

18. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So? I agree, the only people I've known with truly severe concussion problems, did not get it from heading the ball. That does not mean that there are some getting these injuries from headers though, no matter how small a number. Thus, it is a good step in the right direction.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    How are we moving in the right direction if we don't know there are injuries being caused by it?

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Protecting against concussions before the age of 11 isn't mainly why it should be banned, although that is also important. Its mainly important because of the accumulation of brain damage and also kids before the age of 11 usually have no clue how to head the ball. Just completely get rid of it before kids get to an age where heading the ball is a real option to consistently use in a game. Before 11 years old it really shouldn't be important at all.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Lawsuits are almost never fora for an examination of scientific findings. In fact, they are usually spectacularly terrible at that very thing.

So, heading properly currently causes problems (a claim under dispute as to its universality and general veracity), but heading improperly won't?

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Teaching them in a controlled environment is neither dangerous nor unnecessary. In fact, it is necessary to prepare them at least somewhat for realistic conditions. An alternative is a poorly-prepared/afraid kid taking one off the nose or the side, or the back of the head, which is much worse.

lmorin repped this.
  23. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you can see the long-term effects of heading the ball and anyways I think we do know that there are injuries being caused by it.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/14/health/youth-soccer-safety/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ayers-crashing-in-to-each-other-than-heading/

Both articles do show as you and I agreed, that most concussions are not from heading the ball, but there is some concussions being caused by heading the ball.

The links above have some evidence.

juveeer repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If you ban it, in most cases they aren't going to take one off the nose or side/back of the head, although there could be a few exceptions. Just like with handling the ball, kids would learn that using their head is not a viable option, and a free kick would be given if they do.

Once they get to an age where the games get more competitive and serious, you obviously can't eliminate heading, since its a key element of soccer, so thats when you introduce heading.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The links above do not show that banning the act of heading will do one bit of good since more than 4/5 of concussions (and I suspect sub-concussive events) happen when not heading the ball.

Furthermore, they do not support the hypothesis that because a lawsuit was successful, that it was based in sound science.

lmorin and bballshawn repped this.