U.S. Open Cup Semifinals

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by EPJr, Jul 9, 2009.

1. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Open Cup Semifinals
    Games are scheduled to be played on July 21

Rochester Rhinos (USL-1) at D.C. United (MLS)
    Maryland Soccerplex - Boyds, MD | 7:30 p.m.

DC United Broadcast: English & Spanish language radio
    No video available

Houston Dynamo (MLS) at Seattle Sounders (MLS)
    Starfire Sports Complex - Tukwila, WA | 10 p.m.
    Broadcast: TBA

2. BLG

BLG Member

May 13, 2000
    Moses Lake, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember years where Fox Soccer Channel televised both semi-finals and the finals.

Anyone know if they are doing it this year?

3. carella211

carella211 Member

Apr 6, 2009
    2-0-6!
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    idk, but i hear the sounders are looking into MAYBE having it on kong. the question is, is starfire capable of having a decent broadcast?

4. Mbryer07

Mbryer07 New Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Really would be nice if there was a decent Broadcast of a very important tournament for the US to spread its soccer culture. But what you going to do. Pretty sure the final for 1999 was even on espn.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contract ran out a while back, I do believe.

6. BLG

BLG Member

May 13, 2000
    Moses Lake, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OH BOY!!

From soundersfc.com,

"The game will be broadcast via live videocast on the team website at the Matchday page."

7. TheHun

TheHun Member

May 5, 2005
    That is why Sounders FC is a great club ...

cheers to Seattle Sounders !

8. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Open Cup finals

Seattle Sounders, D.C. United to meet in Open Cup Final
    United will aim for back-to-back titles at RFK Stadium on September 2

[​IMG]

After a spirited and hard fought game with some injuries United move on to their second US Open Cup final at RFK Stadium in two years. United once again let a lower league side hang around all for most of the game, almost playing down to their opposition rather than putting them to the sword early until controversial referee Abbey Okulaja made one of his trademark calls and pointed to the spot due to a ball which may have been kicked into a Rochester player's arm. United went on the win the game 2-1.

9. TFoAV

TFoAV New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: U.S. Open Cup finals

First off, the Sounders continue to cement their awesomeness as a MLS club by streaming the game on their website for free. Like seriously, that was one of the coolest things that I've seen any pro sports club do, let alone an MLS club. That was just plain awesome.

Secondly...congrats to the Sounders for making it to the final. They are really doing some awesome things in their first year. "Expansion team" my butt, they could easily masquerade for a team that's been here since 96.

Too bad for them that they're going up against a team that, I think, is going to be the first team to repeat as US Open Cup champs in the MLS era. DC United's always seemed like a team that was just made for a tournament like this, and they've definitely benefited from the fact that they rarely, if ever, play away from home in this tournament. I think the fact that they've played so well at home during this tournament is gonna help them out since they're hosting the final (and they really need to fix the way that they determine who hosts games in the Cup, because right now it's ridiculous.). United's gonna take it, IMO, but they're gonna have a hell of a fight from Seattle.

I was kinda bummed that the Rhinos didn't make it. I love that they're almost always good for a giant killing run. I guess it wasn't to be this year.

10. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: U.S. Open Cup finals

Ummm... you realize the USL1 has been streaming every league game and some cup games for free this entire season, right?