U.S.-Mex Philly Viewing?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Magikfute, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My apologies if anyone has started a thread on this already - a quick search of the forum didn't show anything.

Anyone know of a good place to watch the U.S.-Mex game in the Philly area? I'm looking for good beer, good food, and plenty of U.S. supporters...

2. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    It doesn't exist. :(

There is a soccer bar in Philly at 2nd and Pine called the Dark Horse (used to be called the Dickins Inn), but they show mostly English games, and it's frequented by English expats. I'm sure they'd put the game on for you on Sunday, but don't expect to see any American fans there.

There's a sports bar called Champions at 12th and Market, I think, which I'm sure will also put it on for you. But again, don't expect to see any fans there -- sadly, you're better off watching the game in your living room... :(

3. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, what a bummer! :( :( Oh well, thanks for the reply at least. On the bright side, the beer is cheaper at my place.

4. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    It really is a bummer -- I'm always jealous of the fans in DC, who have Summer's, and the fans in NYC, who have Nathan Hale's. And I spent a few years in the Boston area, and there was always a bar packed with US fans there for our world cup qualifiers for the '02 World Cup.

I'm guessing there are enough soccer fans in Philly to make it worthwhile for a bar to provide a place for regular viewing of US games, it's just a question of picking a bar and getting people organized. You might start a thread in the Philly subforum in the MLS Expansion forum, and see what people there say. But, like I said, I'm not optimistic... :(

5. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    I'm new in the Philly area. If you guys pick some place to watch the game, I'm down to go.

6. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    I just started a thread in the Philly MLS Expansion forum:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181284

So we'll see what, if anything, the folks over there have to say. Unfortunately, family Easter commitments will prevent me from watching the Mexico game live. But if there are enough people interested, maybe you guys can set something up.

7. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool, thanks Hartwick Fan. I'll check that thread out and lend any organizational powers I can conjure...

8. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    The Dark Horse was pretty well packed with US fans during the 2002 World Cup as well as some of the qualifiers for that (both Mexico games spring to mind), but my understanding is that since then they're under new management who doesn't cater to US supporters at all.

I think there's something going on at Tir Na Nog, but you'd have to check with the folks who are actually in Philly this weekend to be sure.