U.S. Contingency Draft Plans Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Matrim55, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Has Contingency Plans for a Draft of Medical Workers

Seems like Kerry's not just fear-mongering here.

2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: U.S. Has Contingency Plans for a Draft of Medical Workers

Glad I didn't become a doctor. :cool:

3. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

And with how thin the Armed Services are now being stretched don't be surprised when we find out BushCo. has been coming up with ideas to implement a national draft for a while now.

4. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But he said he wasn't going to. And I believe him because of his record.

5. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can I just say, that I'm glad that contingency plans are being prepared? Because we all saw what happened with inadequate plans for Iraq after we beat Saddam's army. It's better to have a contingency plan in case something bad happens, than to be caught with our pants down.

6. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Uh, if we gets elected/selected sometime in December :rolleyes: , we the ppl will be caught w/ our pants down, bending over to pick up the Boyz wallets/soap. Bad things will come...

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  8. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Contingency plans are made by Government planners all the time. Do you think the Government should stop doing contingency planning just because it is peripherally related to a political hotbutton? Does the story discuss when the last time the plans had been updated? I can guarantee you such a plan existed during the Clinton administration. Did he reinstate the draft just because there was a plan and the armed forces were having retention problems?

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK, but Bush promised, he swore, there'd be no draft. So why are we making contingency plans? People who live on a mountain oughtn't prepare for floods.

10. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry, SuperDave, but when I read your post it sounded just like the tone ZANI always takes--
    :D :D He's always in with the sayings and I haven't seen that in your posts before. (No, I'm not equating you two, it just hit me as funny)

But seriously, like I noted in the original, Clinton would have had similar plans in place. If the situation arises that it is needed, there just isn't time to do proper planning.

11. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I'm sure there were plans in place under Clinton also, but I don't remember Clinton swearing there would not be a draft of any sort.

12. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And your point would be? Are you trying to say that because Bush swore there would not be a draft we should destroy all of the planning for such an eventuality? Or are you trying to say that Clinton should have made the same pledge? Or are you saying that the US shouldn't have contingency plans for things we don't like? Or are you saying that you don't like Bush and everything his administration does just proves that he is a liar and a cheat and a scoundrel? Or...

13. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

You said it, not me. And their actions on quite alot things have proven it to be true. Glad you see the light.

14. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Glad to see you've figured out that editor, buck-o. Come back anytime you have something to contribute.

15. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I don't like posting with people who have reading and logic comprehension problems.

Have fun playing with yourself.

16. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Awwwww. I think I hurt your feelings.
    :rolleyes:

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I made the same point, and I was trying to say that Bush made a stupid promise, for the likely reason that his internal polling showed that he'd get killed by the women's vote if they became convinced Bush significantly increases the chance of a draft. So Bush, as he always does, did the political thing instead of the right thing.

18. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Read my lips. No new taxes."

Maybe its genetic.

19. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina

John Edwards made the same stupid promise, and also implied that Bush was going to have a draft, to which Bush had to respond. Did you make the point that Edward's promise was equally stupid?

So if Kerry/Edwards do get elected, should they scrap all of these back-up plans, and if they don't will you libs be this angry?? :confused:
    You know, I was thinking of that exact line...during the debate when John Kerry made the same promise. I don't hear all you lefties saying boo about that little gem.

20. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The only difference is that Kerry isn't, as far as we know, developing plans for a draft.

The issue here isn't that they're planning for a draft - the gubmint needs to have contingency plans in place for all manner of circumstances. The issue is the blatant dishonesty.

21. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree that it was a stupid, politically motivated promise. But, and this is a big but, if we were in a situation where the country as a whole saw the need for a draft, it would be reinstated-by any president of any party. It seems to me that the odds of such a national emergency happening are very low. If it were to happen though, I want the Government to be prepared andd have plans in place for such an eventuality. I don't think you are saying you want the Government, regardless of the administration in power, to not plan for contingencies, or are you?

22. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Kerry were the president, a Kerry administration would be making the same plans. This is SOP. There is a huge difference between running a Government and running a campaign. There are probably people in the Government making plans for nuclear war but it doesn't mean we are planning to wage those wars, just to be ready in case it were to be thrust upon us. You are essentially arguing that you don't want the Gopvernment to make plans for anything other than what they are planning to do. That is dangerous and irresponsible. And when it happens, what's the first thing you would say, "Oh shame on them, they had no plan".

I am amazed that you consider it blatant dishonesty to plan for things you hope will never happen. We expect our Government to protect us from external threats and yet expect them to not plan for those same threats. I think that position is intellectually dishonest.

23. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's not what I said - I apologize for being unclear. The dishonesty isn't developing the plans - because they have to do that. The dishonesty is saying "I'll never ever institute the draft" while knowing that indeed, there might come a time when you have to.

I think it was a stupid promise for both Kerry and Bush to make. I think any time a candidate promises something absolute like that, knowing that circumstances might force them to break that promise, that it's dishonest.

The larger question is why can't the American public deal with candidates who tell us the truth instead of telling us what we want to hear?

24. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No. That is exactly the opposite of what I said. Here. Let's review:

You're absolutely right.

25. topcatcole

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I understand your comment now, and I heartily agree with you.